Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs Mets, 7/16/19, 7:10 PM CT

• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• Members
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:45 PM

I am getting this game thread up a lot earlier than I normally do. I typically like to wait until lineups are out so I am able to talk about them, but my brother is playing in a playoff baseball game tonight (Thank you Iowa High School Athletic Association for playing baseball in the SUMMER, when it is supposed to be played), and he takes priority over the Twins, albeit very close :) The Twins come in to the series with a 1-1 record vs the Mets this year, both games agains the Mets' aces in Noah Syndergaard and Jacob DeGrom. Thankfully for the Twins they aren't expected to see either of them. The Twins will send Michael Pineda and Martin Perez to the mound for their first starts out of the break.

ConcernedHastyAgouti-size_restricted.gif

The Pitchers

Steven Matz (5-6, 4.89 ERA, 78 K's) vs Michael Pineda (6-4, 4.56 ERA, 84 K's)

The Mets left hander gives up home runs, and gives up a lot of them. Matz is giving up the long ball two times per nine innings, which is insane. He is striking out almost one batter per inning, but this is not a great matchup for Steven against a Twins team who hit a lot of dongs. Expect the baseball to be flying all around Target Field in the bottom half of innings. Pineda also gives up his fair share of homeruns, coming in at 1.6 HR/9. However, he is facing the Mets lineup which isn't exactly great. However, they do have a huge power threat in Pete Alonso, who is probably the rookie of the year right now. Pineda is also finding his rhythm right now, giving up only one run four of his previous five trips to the mound. He has also only given up two long balls in those give games, a key factor to his success.

The Lineups

I will have someone post the lineups when they are available, either in a different post, or edited in here. 

No Minnesota Twin has ever taken an at-bat against the left hander, but the Twins absolutely crush left handed pitching. So far this season the Twins have an OPS of .868 vs southpaws, compared to .817 against righties. A few more key pieces could be back for the Twins, too. I fully expect Byron Buxton to be back in the lineup tonight after a few days back, and Eddie Rosario should be nearing a return as well. CJ Cron is also on the DL, and could be making his return to the lineup tonight, which would help a lot. Cron crushes left handed pitching, and would be a welcome return to the lineup. Former teammate of Pineda, Robinson Cano, has had decent success off the Twins righty, going 6-9 with two homers. The only other Met with a hit off of Pineda is veteran third basemen Todd Frazier. 

Mill's Moments

1. Please Enjoy Buxton's Aggression in the Field

I know, I know. Nobody wants Byron Buxton to be hurt, and neither do I. Of course you can not be valuable if you are not on the field. However, I don't want Byron Buxton to stop playing with the defensive aggression that we have seen out of him his entire MLB career. Sure, he would still be the best MLB outfielder if he wasn't diving or running into walls all the time, but this is who he is. He wants to make every single catch he can, and you can't turn that off like a switch. Sure, we are going to be holding our breath every single time he looks like a crash test dummy slamming against the wall, or dives into the grass with no respect for his body, but that is what makes him the most exciting player in baseball to watch in the outfield. Enjoy it Twins fans, he is a rare talent on the defensive side of the ball, and he is on our team. 

2. This is Why You Can't Quit Sano

Sure, Miguel Sano is probably not the annual All-Star that we thought he would be coming up through the minor leagues, but that is okay. Those type of prospects rarely reach their ceiling. However, he is one of the most dangerous hitters in the Twins lineup at this given time. He is riding a double digit hitting streak, and they aren't bloops or weak rollers through the infield. Sano is laying off sliders that we have seen him chase in the past, and is crushing the pitches that are over the plate. His walk rate is down, and sure, his strikeout rate hasn't changed much at all, but that is the way baseball is going. Joey Gallo, who should've been the All-Star Game MVP, is the exact same way as Sano is right now. Sure, he may strike out in 40% of his plate appearances. However, when he is hitting the ball, he is hitting it, and hitting it hard. If Sano keeps his current approach up, and get trim 3% off his K rate, while adding it to his walk rate, he is a borderline All-Star. 

This Day in History: 2000 - The Twins announce the possibility of playing a home series outdoors in a temporary stadium next season. The move away from the Metrodome, however, would require approval of major league baseball, the players' association, the opponents, broadcast affiliates, and the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission.

Pick to Click: It's hard to make a pick to click without the lineups, but count me down for Jonathon Schoop if he plays. I know he's been bad lately, so that means he's gonna get a big hit today.

Go Twins!!!

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, Blake and 13 others like this

Career Game Thread Record: 16-4

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#2 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:46 PM

Hoping Buxton and Rosario are back tonight. 

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

I think Rosario is more likely than Buxton. If no Buxton, I would imagine he would hit the IL and Cave would stay up. Or do they still have the 7 day concussion IL? Buxton has already missed 2 days, if he can’t go today, it’s a no brainer to deactivate him.

#4 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,742 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:12 PM

I think Rosario is more likely than Buxton. If no Buxton, I would imagine he would hit the IL and Cave would stay up. Or do they still have the 7 day concussion IL? Buxton has already missed 2 days, if he can’t go today, it’s a no brainer to deactivate him.

phrasing.

• blindeke, mickeymental, David HK and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#5 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:36 PM

Hoping Buxton and Rosario are back tonight. 

Rosario and Cron works too, I suppose. 

• Danchat likes this

#6 nokomismod

nokomismod

Twins & Gophers

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

any word on who was sent down to make room for Rosario and Cron?

#7 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:39 PM

any word on who was sent down to make room for Rosario and Cron?

So far neither is on the active roster. Lineups have not been published as far as I know.

#8 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

1. SS Jorge Polanco (S)
2. RF Marwin Gonzalez (S)
3. DH Nelson Cruz ®
4. LF Eddie Rosario (L)
5. 1B C.J. Cron ®
6. CF Max Kepler (L)
7. 3B Miguel Sano ®
8. 2B Jonathan Schoop ®
9. C Jason Castro (L)

#9 HawksNest

HawksNest

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:43 PM

Morin DFA'd

No other corresponding move at the moment it appears

#10 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:48 PM

Interesting. That puts us down a reliever. Combine that with the now 3(?) open spots on the 40 man, does that mean a BO trade coming? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Danchat and MN_ExPat like this

#11 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:50 PM

Interesting. That puts us down a reliever. Combine that with the now 3(?) open spots on the 40 man, does that mean a BO trade coming? Inquiring minds want to know.

The Twins didn’t use two of their relievers in a 3 game series in which the pen threw 11 innings.
  • Danchat likes this

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

Morin DFA'd

Huh. Didn't see that coming after the Mejia DFA.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#13 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

Morin DFA'd

My guess is Buxton to IL.

#14 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:00 PM

Twins are getting deGrom, Thor, and Diaz from the Mets.

Bam, there it is.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

My guess is Buxton to IL.

That... doesn't make sense because it's not a corresponding move, it's taking two players off the roster.

:D

#16 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,628 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:03 PM

That... doesn't make sense because it's not a corresponding move, it's taking two players off the roster.

:D

Cron and Rosario were activated.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

Ah ha, I missed Cron's activation.

It's still slightly unusual to remove a bullpen arm and replace it with a position player.

#18 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

According to?

I haven't seen anything official.

#19 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members