Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Jim Pohlad with Sid - is it really not about the money?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,491 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:45 AM

http://www.startribu...2/?refresh=true

It's a good read, and kind of a relief that if a newspaper with an editorial staff and a seasoned veteran pro writer can spell Thad Levine two different ways in the same article, I don't feel so bad if i screw it up every now and then....

On to the business of baseball: Is this just a PR piece? Or does the money really not matter as much in the second half of the year? 

• USAFChief and nicksaviking like this

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:56 AM

The truth of the matter is that we haven't seen how Jim will react to a truly competitive team. Everything we saw in the past was Carl, except for the 2010-11 seasons.

While I'm not exactly optimistic about future spending, I'm not going to complain before they give me a reason to complain, either.

• birdwatcher, Mike Frasier Law, SwainZag and 6 others like this

#3 spycake

spycake

• 17,125 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:16 AM

On to the business of baseball: Is this just a PR piece? Or does the money really not matter as much in the second half of the year?

The money generally doesn't matter much in the second half. For example, Bumgarner, Smith, Stroman, Giles, and Wheeler are due only about 4, 1.5, 2.5, 2.1, and 2 million, respectively, over the last 2 months of this season.

Fortunately for Pohlad, there doesn't seem to be any big contracts on the trade market this year, like past cases of Verlander, Hamels, etc. The closest appears to be Greinke, and he already did Pohlad the favor of putting us on his no-trade list. :)
  • rukavina and nicksaviking like this

#4 JW24

JW24

• 189 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

I think the money matters (especially to the Pohlads) whenever it is spent. The front office has done an incredible job with maintaining spending flexibility for the upcoming extensions needed to keep Buxton, Rosario, and Berrios. When it comes to spending money in the second half of the season, it should be looked at as an investment that will return a much higher value if the Twins make the playoffs and go on a run. It only hurts if you spend significantly and fail to make the playoffs.

This piece felt to me like a bit of PR trying to rehabilitate the Pohlad name. Only time will tell if Jim is actually willing to invest in a continuously high-quality product.

• Sconnie likes this

#5 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 455 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:50 AM

I LOL'ed at the thought that the money doesn't matter to the Pohlads.

• Sconnie, David HK and Battle ur tail off like this

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,958 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

It's PR. We've had 25+ years of Pohlad ownership. Jim isn't any different from his dad. He keeps moving the goalposts. He said he couldn't spend when we were rebuilding but doesn't spend when we're competitive. In 2015, we were almost a playoff team, doesn't spend money in the offseason compared to the rest of the league. We're constantly a bottom third payroll team. No one should expect the Pohlads to change their stripes until they actual do something for more than one season that shows they are committed to building a winning team. They've never done that.

• Madisonsdad, Vanimal46, KirbyDome89 and 4 others like this

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:49 AM

It's PR. We've had 25+ years of Pohlad ownership. Jim isn't any different from his dad. He keeps moving the goalposts. He said he couldn't spend when we were rebuilding but doesn't spend when we're competitive. In 2015, we were almost a playoff team, doesn't spend money in the offseason compared to the rest of the league. We're constantly a bottom third payroll team. No one should expect the Pohlads to change their stripes until they actual do something for more than one season that shows they are committed to building a winning team. They've never done that.

While I haven't been happy with the Twins payroll over the past few years, "bottom third" is kind of underplaying what they spend.

According to SportTrac, their 2017-2019 payrolls ranked 19th, 21st, 20th. It's my opinion the Twins should be more toward the 14-17 range but they're not exactly the Marlins, either.

• Riverbrian, PseudoSABR and DocBauer like this

#8 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,958 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

While I haven't been happy with the Twins payroll over the past few years, "bottom third" is kind of underplaying what they spend.

According to SportTrac, their 2017-2019 payrolls ranked 19th, 21st, 20th. It's my opinion the Twins should be more toward the 14-17 range but they're not exactly the Marlins, either.

Isn't that pretty much bottom third in a 30 team league? Cots has them slightly different. 

In any event, if ownership was going to spend money, Dallas Kuechel would have been the obvious get. They didn't even try. 

• Madisonsdad, adorduan, ChrisKnutson and 1 other like this

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:59 AM

Isn't that pretty much bottom third in a 30 team league? Cots has them slightly different.

In any event, if ownership was going to spend money, Dallas Kuechel would have been the obvious get. They didn't even try.

Keuchel was the obvious get in your opinion. Big difference there. Lots of us were lukewarm at best on Keuchel, myself included.

And if ownership is telling the baseball guys to go get a specific player, this franchise operates bass-ackwards. None of us should want that to happen.
  • birdwatcher, nicksaviking, Dantes929 and 4 others like this

#10 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,627 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:02 AM

You could just as easily call it "middle third"

• birdwatcher likes this

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,228 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

I don't like that they seem to try to bracket themselves with similar sized clubs every single year. Can't they spike into the top 10 in payroll some time when it's needed?

As others have said, money isn't much of an issue this time of the year, but there are a couple of financially sticky guys who might be available. I'd like to see the front office make Jim put his money where his mouth is and go get Ian Kennedy. I'd personally be squeamish about Zack Greinke, but it sure would be fun to see the Pohlad's prove us doubters wrong, even if it turned out to be a bad move down the road.

Keuchel was the obvious get in your opinion. Big difference there. Lots of us were lukewarm at best on Keuchel, myself included.

And if ownership is telling the baseball guys to go get a specific player, this franchise operates bass-ackwards. None of us should want that to happen.

Yeah, and the Twins have removed the sinker from Martin Perez's repertoire and limited it from Kyle Gibson's. I don't think the front office was interested in that kind of pitcher, so I wouldn't judge that one based on salary.

• Brock Beauchamp, birdwatcher, Dman and 2 others like this

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:15 AM

I don't like that they seem to try to bracket themselves with similar sized clubs every single year. Can't they spike into the top 10 in payroll some time when it's needed?

It might be hard for them to hit top 10 very often given their awful TV contract but they should certainly spike into the top 15 regularly. That's my biggest beef with how the franchise has been run for the past... basically forever, really. Only in 2010-11 did they make any kind of effort to legitimately spend.

• birdwatcher and DocBauer like this

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:16 AM

Yeah, and the Twins have removed the sinker from Martin Perez's repertoire and limited it from Kyle Gibson's. I don't think the front office was interested in that kind of pitcher, so I wouldn't judge that one based on salary.

I'm pretty confident the Keuchel decision was 100% Falvey and Levine. It aligns with their general modus operandi, especially because they didn't even make a half-assed offer to him. Everything points to them just not wanting him at all.

• birdwatcher, diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

#14 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,441 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:27 AM

Heh....

His name is Pohlad.  

Of course it's about the money, over anything else.

• gunnarthor and mickeymental like this

#15 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,397 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:04 AM

The Cardinals certainly haven't played themselves into Sell mode, but this is an intriguing option: 

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Cardinals are "open" to moving right-handed reliever Carlos Martinez.
Rosenthal also mentions that the Cardinals are willing to consider moving their young outfielders like like Lane Thomas and Tyler O'Neill, as well. Martinez would be an intriguing option for teams looking for relief help, and you can add in the fact that he could be moved into the rotation next year. A team would likely want to do that, as they'd be paying Martinez $11.5 million each of the next two years, with club options for $17 million and $18 million the two years after, respectively. It'd be a relatively big risk, but there's obvious reward potential.

RELATED: Tyler O'Neill
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jul 16, 2019, 11:05 AM ET

• nicksaviking and ChrisKnutson like this

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,160 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

It's a business, it is about money. Now, whether that means there is money still to be spent, we'll see in three weeks or so. And this off season
  • Tomj14 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#17 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,380 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:03 AM

charlie brown and football?

• USAFChief, Twins33, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#18 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 455 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:08 AM

Now someone like Carlos Martinez is something I can get behind.

• nicksaviking likes this

#19 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,958 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:27 AM

Now someone like Carlos Martinez is something I can get behind.

Was he hurt? He was moved to the pen, I guess. Is he able to start anymore?

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

charlie brown and football?

Bingo. Groundhog's Day came early this year. Every year Pohlad says there's no budget constraints, and every year there's a new reason not to add to the budget. 2014-17 there were no budget constraints, but they were rebuilding so no reason to add to the budget. Now that they're rebuilt, there's no budget constraints but they don't want to trade prospects. There's always an underlying BUT after they say money is available.
  • Madisonsdad, Dman, adorduan and 5 others like this