Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Week in Review: Second Half Statement

jorge polanco jake odorizzi kyle gibson adalberto mejia taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:59 PM

Great article, Nick. 

Trevor May has a chance to be the next Taylor Rogers. He could fail - he walks too many hitters to be a sure thing. But he has shown the stuff to be a shutdown RP. Add one experienced back-end bullpen guy, and they should be in good shape. Could add another middle reliever too.

Luis Arraez needs to get most of the reps at 2B. I don't say this lightly. Schoop is experienced, smart and a solid defender. OTOH, the Twins need someone getting on base, even if the opposing pitcher is really good. Arraez does that and he's only 22 years old. He doesn't seem overwhelmed by anything, so let's see what he can do. Love that he's turned on a few balls too. 

• Nick Nelson likes this

#22 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:32 AM

May below Harper? And at the same level as Parker??:huh:  

Harper has lower WHIP then May, higher WAR and has pitched more than May.

It was a stretch to find another pitcher I trust in the 8th inning, so in reality Harper belongs in the 6 and 7 inning with May and Parker belongs in the 5th and 6th with the others.

I am not as high on May as others, about every 4 - 5 games he gives up a run, which is why I don't like him pitching the 8th.

• curt1965 likes this

#23 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:31 AM

Harper has lower WHIP then May, higher WAR and has pitched more than May.

It was a stretch to find another pitcher I trust in the 8th inning, so in reality Harper belongs in the 6 and 7 inning with May and Parker belongs in the 5th and 6th with the others.

I am not as high on May as others, about every 4 - 5 games he gives up a run, which is why I don't like him pitching the 8th.

Giving up a run every fourth game (assuming 1IP appearances) equates to a 2.25 ERA so I might suggest your standards are a bit high. 

May is a legit setup man, esp if the control improvements we've seen of late are real. That doesn't mean the Twins shouldn't add another but I'm not sure you're getting a much higher-caliber arm out there. 

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

Harper also has allowed a lot of inherited runners to score. Almost half. 13 of 29 to be exact. By far, the worst among pitchers on the roster. Trevor May has allowed 1 of 15 to score.
  • Nick Nelson, Vanimal46 and railmarshalljon like this

#25 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:07 PM

Yup!

#26 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:12 PM

May is a legit setup man, esp if the control improvements we've seen of late are real. That doesn't mean the Twins shouldn't add another but I'm not sure you're getting a much higher-caliber arm out there. 

Legit Set up guy with a 3.79, or if the control improves?

He is a 6th inning guy until he improves, sure he can pitch later in the game and will do good some of time, but not a guy I trust in a game the Twins need.

On this relief staff, he does look like a legit setup guy because they rest are terrible or not very good.

#27 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:35 PM

Only stat where may is better than Harper is K/9.May strikes out 1 more per 9 innings. May walks twice as many batters and his xFIP is 4.45 vs 3.83 for Harper.May's WHIP is 1.24 vs 1.01 for Harper. For what it's worth Fangraphs has Harper at .7 WAR and May at .4 WAR. bWAR is .8 and .5 respectively.

Harper seems to be at least as valuable / reliable as May. Regardless of how you see it, I don't see the pointy of adding a RP that would not slot both of them.

• Tomj14 likes this

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

Not so fun stat:

Trevor May has 3 '1-2-3' innings since April. Not exactly what I would call a legit setup man.

Edited by Vanimal46, 17 July 2019 - 03:02 PM.

• USAFChief, curt1965, Tomj14 and 1 other like this

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:01 PM

If May hasn't figured it out by age 30, he likely never will.
I don't know why he continues to throw curveballs down the heart of the plate when he's up 0-2, but the fact is that he continues to do so. If he didn't learn his lesson by now, he likely never will.
There is simply no excuse whatsoever for attempting that pitch once, let alone twice in back to back appearances.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#30 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,723 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:30 PM

May below Harper? And at the same level as Parker?? :huh:

Good call. May is worse than Parker.

My rankings:

Avian flu > Parker > May.
  • curt1965, Tomj14 and SpicyGarvSauce like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jorge polanco, jake odorizzi, kyle gibson, adalberto mejia, taylor rogers