Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/14): Cleveland Prevails, Avoids Sweep

jose berrios marwin gonzalez
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,835 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:22 PM

I was irked that Arraez doubled with no outs in the 8th, but Garver wasn’t asked to bunt him to third. Fundamental baseball - give yourselves a chance to tie on a sac fly instead of needing a base hit. Gonzales fly out would have done it.

I also couldn't believe they didn't make Schoop bunt in the 9th. He's been awful and you have a chance to get the tying run to 2nd for Kepler and Polanco.

• nokomismod and jz7233 like this

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

14 IP from the starters in 3 games ain’t gonna cut it in October. Not with this bullpen. Amazing they won 2/3 gettin 12 IP from the pen. That can be masked when we hit 3+ HRs a game but not when we struggle with RISP.

A weird statement given how much better the bullpen has been than the rotation.

• Riverbrian, Danchat and Sconnie like this

#23 Dennesey55347

Dennesey55347

Elizabethton Twins

• 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:09 PM

The attention is often turned towards pitching in losses like today. I mostly turn mine to offense unless our starter coughs up 8ish runs. Since late April, I've noticed, and openly commented on something specific I was monitoring this season: hits with 2 or more men on. Minus the Bomba, the percentage of men getting left on base in these critical situations is increasing as the season wears. I couldn't honestly name a single player I could count on to put the ball in the gap to score 2 (Escobar). Way too many bad at-bats in crucial times and empty innings. A lineup of streaky hitters are fun when they're on and slightly annoying otherwise. I sure wish we had a Springer, Altuve, LeMahieu, Betts, JD Martinez, Lindor, Carlos Santana, etc. Clutch hitters you definitely want to pitch around. Our version of this guy is whoever's hot that week, and pitchers generally still go after them.

I'd (literally) throw Schoop ...and a prospect into a package for a Rogers equal.
  • jz7233 likes this

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:52 AM

This is true, but this was also the blessing and curse of him being an all-star. He wasn't sharp in the 1st, gave up a run and threw a ton of pitches. If he's on regular rest, it probably goes differently.

Bieber pitched in the all star game too.
  • glunn and Dantes929 like this

#25 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:54 AM

The attention is often turned towards pitching in losses like today. I mostly turn mine to offense unless our starter coughs up 8ish runs. Since late April, I've noticed, and openly commented on something specific I was monitoring this season: hits with 2 or more men on. Minus the Bomba, the percentage of men getting left on base in these critical situations is increasing as the season wears. I couldn't honestly name a single player I could count on to put the ball in the gap to score 2 (Escobar). Way too many bad at-bats in crucial times and empty innings. A lineup of streaky hitters are fun when they're on and slightly annoying otherwise. I sure wish we had a Springer, Altuve, LeMahieu, Betts, JD Martinez, Lindor, Carlos Santana, etc. Clutch hitters you definitely want to pitch around. Our version of this guy is whoever's hot that week, and pitchers generally still go after them.

I'd (literally) throw Schoop ...and a prospect into a package for a Rogers equal.

And another team will want Schoop, why exactly?
  • glunn and DannySD like this

#26 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,414 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:25 AM

This is true, but this was also the blessing and curse of him being an all-star. He wasn't sharp in the 1st, gave up a run and threw a ton of pitches. If he's on regular rest, it probably goes differently.

huh? One inning last Tuesday??

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#27 Juddcbrown

Juddcbrown

Elizabethton Twins

• 5 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:41 AM

Another fundamental principle - play for the tie at home, but not when on the road.

There’s no tieing in baseball!

In my eyes, they needed to tie the game first, then win it with a mighty Sano hit.

Well, maybe someone in the top of the 9th would have gotten that hit.

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:57 AM

There’s no tieing in baseball!In my eyes, they needed to tie the game first, then win it with a mighty Sano hit.Well, maybe someone in the top of the 9th would have gotten that hit.

Brad Hand-cuffed them. They got a lucky baserunner due to a fielding misplay. Zero well hit balls.
  • nokomismod likes this

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,897 posts

He was on regular rest.
  • Cap'n Piranha likes this

#30 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,897 posts

Why would a team that's selling want a pending free agent?

#31 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:59 AM

He was on regular rest.

If anything, over rest. The one inning Tuesday and before that was last Thursday or Friday. So, he had pitched 1 inning in 10 days. That might be an excuse if, as mentioned, a dozen others had not done the same, including the Indians’ starter.

#32 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:13 AM

Some posters are raising concerns about the offense from a combination of too many strikeouts, lack of situational hitting, etc.

I think there are some reasons why those concerns are a little bit real. However, I think the biggest thing is healthy getting fully healthy for a consistent stretch.

Rosario/Cron/Buxton instead of Cave/Schoop/etc likely leads to those extra runs everyone is looking for. Benign blue to bring Marwin, Adrianza, Schoop/Arraez off the bench is also helpful.

#33 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,383 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:29 AM

We lost. It won't be the last time we lose. 

I'm ready for Tuesday. 

• twinsnorth49, SwainZag and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#34 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,383 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:32 AM

Schoop is a pending free agent. This makes him a rental.

Sellers have absolutely no need for a rental. Buyers will not give up a Rogers equal. 

Nothing is impossible but your trade proposal will take extreme creativity.:)

• ashbury and Dennesey55347 like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#35 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:48 AM

You do realize that the Twins are first in Home runs, first in RBI's, tied for first in Batting Average, tied for first in runs scored, first in slugging percentage, first in OPS, second in total hits, second in doubles, and have the fifth fewest strikeouts in all of baseball. But hey, there's always room for improvement right?

#36 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 403 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

Can't believe the overall negativism on this thread. In case folks are not aware, this is called Major League Baseball as in the best on the planet. Believe it or not, the other team has talent and they are trying to avoid a sweep at home in a big series. When a team scores 4 runs or less they usually lose plain and simple. Twins scored 5 and 6 and won. Scored 3 and lost. They won the series and overall played great and pitching was as good overall as you could possibly hope for.Get the Mets tomorrow.

Go Twins! Can't win every game 12-0 by the way.

• SwainZag, Danchat, Wyorev and 1 other like this

#37 Dennesey55347

Dennesey55347

Elizabethton Twins

• 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

And another team will want Schoop, why exactly?

For another team who hasn't seen him play every day like Twins fans have, he'd be a nice flyer. 22-25 HR pace, currently at .256, should drive in 70. He'd be a decent major-league-ready addition to any non-playoff team.

• jz7233 likes this

#38 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 638 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

There is actually a bright side to not sweeping the Indians. It was being bandied about that Cleveland would be sellers if they fell behind by 9 or 10 games. They probably will be gamblers instead. Think about it from a more rational viewpoint. There is no way they would be selling their assets to the Twins. They would be selling their assets to our opponents in the playoffs. In other words, as long as the Twins take care of their jobs, they will be fine.
  • Han Joelo likes this

#39 Dakota15

Dakota15

Elizabethton Twins

• 39 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:29 AM

Jonathan Schoop in clutch spots is a tough watch. 

• jz7233 likes this

#40 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

Very happy taking two of three at Cleveland, with the one loss being a one-run game. Definitely a positive overall result and things look good heading into a nine-game home stand. 

The events in the final innings are always magnified, but Jose Berrios failing to finish off the first inning yesterday was frustrating to see. He retired Lindor and Kipnis, but then walked Santana on five pitches and Bradley on four pitches. Ramirez got the run-scoring double to put Cleveland up.

This one still lands on the lineup in my eyes. It's always going to be difficult to win when you only score three runs. The Twins are now 5-20 (.200) when they score three or fewer runs. All teams are a combined 192-909 (.174) when scoring three or under this season.

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, marwin gonzalez