Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Adalberto Mejia DFAd

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

There have definitely been players who've gone back and forth. As long as there's room on the 40-man roster, anyone can spin the roulette wheel! (I think strictly speaking, it's not even necessary to put the player on the 25-man, you could just start a new waiver process - but as a practical matter, perhaps, This Is Just Not Done.)

I doubt it's common, and it may be considered bad form, I don't know, but the Twins and Reds did this dance last year.

Kennys Vargas got waived in March, claimed by the Reds, waived by the Reds two days later, then claimed by the Twins. 

The Twins then outrighted him, and the Reds (or anyone else) decided not take another shot. That's when he went to Japan.

#82 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Twins Mods
  • 4,595 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:55 PM

Damn, that's a really interesting question. I believe they'd *have* to receive MLB pay because it's not as if you're going to give an eight year vet MiLB pay for a few days, nor is that player going to go without pay.

The more I think about it, that player is still under control of the waiving team until he is taken by another team. I have to believe that he receives standard pay until something changes (ie. another team acquires him and demotes him).

a player DFA’d gets removed immediately from the 25 and 40 man roster, but contracts are fully guaranteed correct? Even after release the major league player gets their contract. So Bert is still getting his from the Twins. Whatever team picks him up pays a pro rated major league minimun

If a player is on the 40 man but with a minor league assignment, they get a bump in pay up from standard minor league pay something like a hundred k, right? Those guys can be DFA’d off the 40 but still get optionally assigned to a minor league team and get a pay cut. How does that work?

Edited by Sconnie, 06 August 2019 - 03:56 PM.

#83 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,525 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

a player DFA’d gets removed immediately from the 25 and 40 man roster, but contracts are fully guaranteed correct? Even after release the major league player gets their contract. So Bert is still getting his from the Twins. Whatever team picks him up pays a pro rated major league minimun

If a player is on the 40 man but with a minor league assignment, they get a bump in pay up from standard minor league pay something like a hundred k, right? Those guys can be DFA’d off the 40 but still get optionally assigned to a minor league team and get a pay cut. How does that work?

If a player is taken on a waiver claim, as is the case here, the new team picks up the contract. It's only if the player passes through waivers, and the current team then chooses to release him, that a new team can pick up a bargain.

/ edit - of course, for anyone on a MLB-minimum contract, such as Mejia has, the business of what get pro-rated is moot. If eventually he were simply cut, and then someone else picked him up, everything is based on the minimum and what remains of the season.

• Sconnie likes this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#84 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:31 PM

(I think strictly speaking, it's not even necessary to put the player on the 25-man, you could just start a new waiver process - but as a practical matter, perhaps, This Is Just Not Done.)

No, you do need to roster the player for at least 1 MLB game (or 48 hours, whichever comes first):

"8. A player acquired off waivers cannot be Designated for Assignment for at least 48 hours after the club is awarded the waiver claim or until the player has been on the claiming club's MLB Active List for at least one MLB regular season game (whichever comes first)."

https://www.thecubre...xport/html/3535

#85 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:37 PM

I doubt it's common, and it may be considered bad form, I don't know, but the Twins and Reds did this dance last year.

Kennys Vargas got waived in March, claimed by the Reds, waived by the Reds two days later, then claimed by the Twins. 

The Twins then outrighted him, and the Reds (or anyone else) decided not take another shot. That's when he went to Japan.

Not quite -- Vargas spent the 2018 season at Rochester on that outright assignment first.

Players with less than 3 years service time who have never been outrighted before can't refuse the outright assignment. That's what likely gives guys like Vargas any value, in terms of waiver claims -- the potential to stash them in the minors for up to a year off the 40-man roster.

Once the season was up, and the Twins hadn't yet put him back on the 40-man roster, Vargas was a 6 year minor league free agent. Then he signed in Japan.

#86 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:52 PM

Pre-arbitration contracts, like Mejia's, aren't really "guaranteed" at the MLB minimum rate. Those players get the MLB salary while they are in MLB, but get a lesser salary if they are sent to the minor leagues during the season. (I assume it doesn't matter whether they get to the minors by option or outright assignment.)

If such players are released during the season, they can get the rest of the contract -- but at the minor league rate, rather than the MLB rate. (And I assume if they sign elsewhere, it offsets.) If they are released before the season, they get some termination pay.

https://www.thecubre...xport/html/3534

Of course, as noted by others, Mejia has yet to be released or even outrighted to the minors, so none of this applies to him quite yet anyway.

• Sconnie likes this

#87 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,525 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

No, you do need to roster the player for at least 1 MLB game (or 48 hours, whichever comes first):

"8. A player acquired off waivers cannot be Designated for Assignment for at least 48 hours after the club is awarded the waiver claim or until the player has been on the claiming club's MLB Active List for at least one MLB regular season game (whichever comes first)."

https://www.thecubre...xport/html/3535

Good info.

#88 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:21 PM

The Angels claimed Mejia back again:

https://www.mlbtrade...-cardinals.html

#89 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,499 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

At least he knows what hotel to stay at in Anaheim!
  • ashbury, USAFChief and Danchat like this

#90 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

So will they keep him on the 40 man this time or will this circus continue?Seems like the Angels could use pitching even if it isn't that great.Personally I think the guy is just a tweak away from being a decent pen arm anyway.Tough part is you will have to live with some tough innings before he gets better.

#91 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

So will they keep him on the 40 man this time or will this circus continue?

Good news for Mejia, is that we're only 3 weeks away from roster expansion.

And the Angels were a good fit for Mejia before, and probably an even better fit now -- SPs Pena, Canning, and Heaney have all hit the DL since Mejia's last stint in LA. A couple relievers to the DL too.

• LA VIkes Fan and Dman like this

#92 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,665 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:50 PM

At least he knows what hotel to stay at in Anaheim!

As well as which not to!

• ashbury likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#93 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,525 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:05 PM

These teams are playing 5-dimensional chess while we're just playing tiddlywinks. Using AAA as your pitching shuttle is sooooo 2017. Now you just work out a wink-and-nod arrangement with a team in the other league, and DFA the guy when you're done and it's the other team's turn to round out their bullpen.

#94 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,665 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:11 PM

These teams are playing 5-dimensional chess while we're just playing tiddlywinks. Using AAA as your pitching shuttle is sooooo 2017. Now you just work out a wink-and-nod arrangement with a team in the other league, and DFA the guy when you're done and it's the other team's turn to round out their bullpen.

And it cuts that annoying 10 day minor leagues waiting period down to just 1 or 2 days!

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#95 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:15 PM

Good news for Mejia, is that we're only 3 weeks away from roster expansion.

And the Angels were a good fit for Mejia before, and probably an even better fit now -- SPs Pena, Canning, and Heaney have all hit the DL since Mejia's last stint in LA. A couple relievers to the DL too.

yeah, he came to the Angels originally when they were still a marginal contender. Now that they've dropped out of the picture, he should stay there so they can see if he could help them next year. The Angels are definitely in the starting pitcher tryout mode so he should get a shot. 

#96 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

Mejia is doing his best to prove himself fungible, it seems.

In his two appearances with St. Louis, he recorded 9 outs... and allowed 9 baserunners.

In his first two games back with the Angels, he's recorded only 1 out and allowed 5 base runners (3 by walk). If he keeps pitching like this, I'm not even sure it's possible to stretch him back out for starting at the MLB level in 2019...
  • Dman likes this