Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/12): Jordan Balazovic Slams the Door

jordan balazovic albee weiss nick gordon trevor larnach wander javier
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:00 PM

I would bet that will be the last time Royce does push ups at 2nd base.

I have no problem with it tbh.Bat flips, watching your home run...fine by me.Push ups at 2nd base?Thats a bit much.

Agree that his push ups were bush.But you throw at his body if you are sending a message, not at his or anyone else's head.

• ashbury, diehardtwinsfan, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,521 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:05 PM

Agreed on Lewis. What he did was silly, if not outright dumb. Even still, it was clearly a poke at himself. Throwing at a guy for a silly/dumb joke is bad enough without throwing at his head. Pure BS.

Unless Rooker said something really bad, his ejection for a muttered comment looks lame.
  • ashbury, MN_ExPat and rdehring like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, I think he learned his lesson, but that wasn't to upstage the opponent, he was actually poking fun at himself. He hit a double high off the wall, the pushups were sorta him saying I gotta get stronger and hit that one over the fence. It was a silly thing to do.

At this point I do think Lewis/the Miracle should have tried to go out of their way to somehow make it clear to Bradenton that Royce was just having a laugh at his own expense rather than trying to show them up. Here's a look back at that whole situation and some more of my thoughts if you're interested:

I think it’s pretty clear he wasn’t doing push-ups to say “I crushed that double.” But, saying “I need to get stronger to muscle that out,” is still easily seen as a slight. I’d also interpret that as “I’m so good and you’re so mediocre that I need to flagellate myself on second base for only banging a double off the wall,” and be pretty annoyed.

Clearly the buzzing of Lewis’ tower was intentional.
  • ashbury and DocBauer like this

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:13 PM

Baseball players have the thinnest skin in the world, and it's not a close race.

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,573 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:34 PM

Baseball players have the thinnest skin in the world, and it's not a close race.

Yeah, you never see a hockey player take umbrage at anything.

• Mike Sixel and tvagle like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#26 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:50 AM

Nice report as always. I'd like to see Thorpe given another shot the next time we need a fill-in starter. He just keeps getting better and better.

#27 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:05 AM

I get that Albie Weiss had himself a helluva night with 4 hits, two homers and a double....but Spencer Steer must be saying how the hell do I earn hitter of the day honors around these parts?!? 5 for 5, two doubles, plus a walk to get on base all six plate appearances!!!

#28 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

I seem to recall that some pitcher threw a ball at Tony Oliva's head once. Tony dusted himself off, and on the next pitch his bat totally accidentally sailed right at the pitcher's knees. Daddy told me the pitcher climbed an invisible ladder to get out of the way. 

Whoopsie Daisy! These are all just terribly unfortunate accidents!

I love that! I think intentionally throwing a ball at someone, anywhere, anytime, and especially at the head, is the most cowardly thing a baseball player can do. I think there should be consequences for the pitcher. They get away with murder. They should be held accountable.

Seems fans just don't like to have fun. Lewis was funny and original. And in the minors. Fans and players just can't take it. It really is sad, in my opinion. Push-ups at second, funny. Throwing at a guys head, or body..... childish and totally cowardly, and needs to be stopped.

• Mr. Brooks likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jordan balazovic, albee weiss, nick gordon, trevor larnach, wander javier