Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/12): Late Rally, Bullpen Power Stunning Comeback Win

taylor rogers nelson cruz mitch garver jorge polanco miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,690 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:00 AM

I want to 'heart' this instead of 'like' it. As we can see now, the confidence in the bullpen is Harper and Rogers; everyone else is only brought in when the Twins have a cushion or are getting trounced.

Not agreeing with that. Of course you want your best guys in the highest leverage spots but Duffey, May, Littell and Harper have pitched in a lot of close games and done just fine.  Starters have not done as well in the last month and the relievers have really picked up the slack, IMO. If you believe the Twins have a lousy pen that is ok, but they have not pitched lousy to this point.  

• mikelink45, DocBauer, IndianaTwin and 3 others like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#22 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:13 AM

After watching the highlights of this game, an odd thought popped into my head:

The Twins are going to win the World Series.

Hey now, stop right there, fellah! You can't smoke that in here, take it outside in the parking lot! 

I'll admit I've developed a taste for a bit of wacky weed now and then, but I'm sober right this moment. That thought isn't the product of cannabinoid compounds. It's a gut feeling from watching this team become kind of a bully. That was the feeling I got from watching the Twins come back and hold the lead. They applied enough pressure from enough directions to make a win happen. Against Cleveland, a team that has been a bit of a bully in this division for the last few years. 

Oops, I did it again. Did I say that out loud? 

Let's just pretend I'm the crazy uncle. I'm okay with that. I am in fact an uncle, and yeah, I'm pretty out there. 

• Han Joelo, Dantes929, IndianaTwin and 2 others like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#23 psturnbloom

psturnbloom

Elizabethton Twins

• 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:52 AM

I'm liking May. And really liking Littell in his role. I don't see the need to keep Mejia. Really don't. Think he would pass thru waivers and can work it out at Rochester and free up a roster spot.

Pass through waivers? I doubt it, honestly. With the glimpses of brilliance he has had in the past, I think there's a club out there who would take a chance on him.

• DocBauer and railmarshalljon like this

#24 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,519 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:15 AM

This is how good teams win ball games. Your starting pitching is okay..., but your bullpen holds and your bats are clutch enough to beat a division rival.You win close games, your bullpen shuts the opponent down.These are the games that are between the the "you win win 60 and lose 60......the other 42 are what decide the season." This is a big one.

Edited by SwainZag, 13 July 2019 - 01:16 AM.

• Han Joelo, birdwatcher, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:12 AM

. It's a gut feeling from watching this team become kind of a bully. That was the feeling I got from watching the Twins come back and hold the lead. They applied enough pressure from enough directions to make a win happen.        Against Cleveland, a team that has been a bit of a bully in this division for the last few years. 

The Indians have been a bit of bully over the last 29 games, going 21-8, as they came out of the break.

The Twins typically found ways to lose games like this one. Last night, they found ways to win one against a hard-charging AL Central division power.

I don't know about the Series, but I think tonight's gutty effort and outcome proved that the boys are making it incumbent upon FalVine to bolster BOTH the SP and RP staff by the end of the month to ensure a legitimate run can be made in order to secure home field advantage going into the playoffs.

Edited by jokin, 13 July 2019 - 03:13 AM.

• SQUIRREL and birdwatcher like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#26 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,646 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:32 AM

The folks at IndiansDaily must be really thrilled with the Mercado read on Polanco’s double. I can’t imagine the pitchforks that would be out on TD if, let’s say, Marwin or Arraez had made a mistake like that. (I was going to say Buxton, but who are we kidding?)
  • SwainZag, mikelink45, adorduan and 1 other like this

#27 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 639 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:37 AM

I'm pretty sure Trevor Bauer is the starting pitcher for the Indians tomorrow and not Jake Bauers. Although that would be very entertaining.

I mean... if Cleveland wants to send a position player to the mound to start a game who are we to stop them?

#28 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 639 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:44 AM

The folks at IndiansDaily must be really thrilled with the Mercado read on Polanco’s double. I can’t imagine the pitchforks that would be out on TD if, let’s say, Marwin or Arraez had made a mistake like that. (I was going to say Buxton, but who are we kidding?)

Yeah if I was Cleveland's reliever (think it was Goody) I'd be putting in a protest to the official scorer that those two runs should count as unearned. That was a pretty routine play and he just screwed the pooch

#29 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 968 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:03 AM

Twins got lucky tonight.

Sano reaches on an error, Adrianza a walk, Kepler on an infield hit (he did hustle his way on base for sure), and Polanco gets the game-winner on a catchable ball.

I'll take luck, because baseball is full of it, but, not a game they outplayed the other team.

• Riverbrian, mikelink45, PDX Twin and 2 others like this

#30 the_brute_squad

the_brute_squad

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 79 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:15 AM

Gibby needs to stop with the mental breakdowns. He can roll through innings with the best of them, but once he gives up a solo shot or has an error behind him you can write him off for the remainder of that inning. It's a good thing we've had the time off because that bullpen looked as sharp as it has all year.

In regard to he second half, I see Pineda being a #1 quality pitcher for the squad. He's far enough removed from surgery, he looks healthy, and I'm pretty sure he's been missing more bats than any of our other starters.

• DannySD and In My La-Z-boy like this

#31 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 117 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:24 AM

Agreed brute. Gibson is enough to drive you nuts. I also see Pineda getting better and better. I am about ready to vote Gibson to the pen if we pick up a stud starter. He's unbeatable for 2-3-4 innings and then...sometimes wriggles out, sometimes not. I don't have confidence in him starting a playoff game. I wish I did. Nice win! Better to be lucky than good on this one. I'll take it.

• the_brute_squad likes this

#32 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,065 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:13 AM

Twins got lucky tonight.

Sano reaches on an error, Adrianza a walk, Kepler on an infield hit (he did hustle his way on base for sure), and Polanco gets the game-winner on a catchable ball.

I'll take luck, because baseball is full of it, but, not a game they outplayed the other team.

Yeah, if you put money on the Indians in Vegas or if you're a Cleveland fan, you see it as a "bad beat". From one of their fan pages:

"Goody got a little anxious on a Miguel Sano groundball hit right to him and couldn’t make a throw to first, and three batters later Francisco Lindor almost made a spectacular play to throw out Max Kepler, but he was a half-second late. A batter after that, Oscar Mercado terribly misplayed a Jorge Polanco fly ball and suddenly the Twins had their first lead of the night at 4-3. If even one of those things broke the Indians’ way, maybe this game ends differently."

That said, the ball didn't exactly bounce the Twins way either. Miguel Sano hit a double off the top of the wall with a man on 1st. Arraez was kinda deeked by the OF and didn't score on that double. And Sano was just THIS CLOSE to hitting it out. If that ball goes 5 more feet it's a 3-3 ball game and the rest is a moot point. So keep in mind while the Twins got lucky, the Indians were pretty lucky too.

• Riverbrian, SwainZag, mickeymental and 1 other like this

#33 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,682 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

Morris was pretty exasperated with Gibson as well, on the TV.  His slow approach, and especially his inability to bear down after giving up a solo homer.

As a Twins fan, it's always felt like we came out on the wrong side of these "luck" based games.  Adrianza's throw, Mercado's read, Goody's flub, the Perez throwout attempt (that was like even Steven luck--horrible throw, but it hit an ump, preventing another base.)

However, what Rogers did to those guys was the farthest thing from luck.

And the Indians were pretty lucky that the Twins didn't hit better with RISP last night.  (I did it! I kept myself from double pluralizing RISP!)

Almost as good as Rogers' finish, however, was Buxton's last AB.  After a three pitch flail-fest where he looked like the Buck of Yore, he fixed his approach and just missed pounding one off (or over) the wall.

• Riverbrian, mikelink45 and mickeymental like this

#34 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,397 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

Twins got lucky tonight.

But if you want to discount the three Twins runs as not being deserved, you have to do the same with the two Cleveland got that weren’t deserved, and then our two solo homers beat their one.

Was it their best audition for the Tom Emanski video series? No. But it was well-played in terms of battling their tails off and picking each other up.
  • mickeymental and wabene like this

#35 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,741 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:18 AM

We got he first one in this critical series... win one more and I'm happy. Win two and I'm ecstatic. 

#36 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:35 AM

Another game, another pair of throwing errors by the Twins infield.

The Twins infielders seem to have a special affection for sloppy play when Gibson starts, though the infielders are starting to share the love with everybody.

• adorduan likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#37 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,563 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

What a win.I know I thought the game was lost after not scoring a couple times in the middle innings when we had chances.

Trevor May looks to me like a guy that should be a shut down reliever.Big, strong guy who throws hard.Plus, being a former starter he has several good pitches to work with.If he can build on his recent performances and become that dominant late inning guy we thought we had, this bullpen isn't that far from being very good.

One trade for a very good short reliever who isn't a rental and on to the playoffs with the guys that got'em there.Well, maybe also a lefty rental to replace Mejia.So I guess that's two moves, but only one should cost any serious prospects.  

• DocBauer, RaymondLuxuryYacht and wabene like this

#38 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 476 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:50 AM

Totally agree with the sentiment of not wanting Gibby anywhere near a playoff game. Hopefully he's just out of his routine and he can regain some normalcy as a solid #4.
  • mikelink45 likes this

#39 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• 699 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

A win today and tomorrow would be golden! Silver = 2 out of three. Avoiding a sweep in Cleveland means a bronze, methinks.

#40 pierre75275

pierre75275

• 468 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:42 AM

Maybe using Gibson in relief and as an opener wasnt the best idea.
  • MVP Nick Punto likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taylor rogers, nelson cruz, mitch garver, jorge polanco, miguel sano