Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Indians 4:10 PM PST (6:10 PM CDT) 7/12/2019

game thread twins indians hawt taeks
  • Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:02 PM

I was sitting quietly, minding my own business, imbibing some game thread inspiration when, wouldn't you know it, someone thought they should tell me my behavior was inappropriate. I looked at the interloper with a steely glaze and asked them who they thought they were, interrupting my contemplation of a very important matter? I further explained that drinking inspiration is a time-honored method of writing and how dare they question my methods?

Next thing I knew, I was on the street, my meager possessions in hand and cursing the busybody who dared question my methods.

I guess I shouldn't have been drinking amber colored liquid from a cut glass tumbler during working hours in front of the boss. 

jamesontumbler

It's been a nice break from baseball, though, I admit some withdrawal symptoms. But, I was able to get my baseball fix through Twins Daily, which helped get me through those rough moments. Call it, "Methadone for Fans."

"Fanadone?"

The Twins are at Cleveland and I look forward to this series. I hope the Twins can pick up a game against Cleveland but, there's no way I can claim to be other than nervous about this series. Still, though, it's going to be fun to watch and I'm really looking forward to it. As, I'm sure, are a lot of Twins fans.

And now, it's that time we all look forward to in Game Threads! 5 Things To Think About!

1. Ice in top shelf whiskey: Abomination or abomination?
2. Cold beer, cool beer or warm beer? Which is right?
3. Ball Park Nachos made with cheese whiz: Abomination or grotesque?
4. Cowbell or vuvuzela: minor or major annoyance?

Lineups:

TClineup7122019

5. Play ball!

• USAFChief, glunn, Jerr and 5 others like this

#2 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 6,100 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

Disclaimer: The author neither denies or admits there is any truth to the allegations that he might suffering from "Twins Withdrawal" and roundly scolds those who would put forth such a preposterous rumor!

*yeah yeah, I know I used this last year after break. Whatever. :)

--The Trial Lawyers Association.

• glunn, PseudoSABR and Don Walcott like this

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

I’m shocked, shocked I tell you, that Rosario isn’t ready to play by the date that the Twins medical staff expected him to be.
  • glunn and HawksNest like this

#4 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

1. Summer - Two cubes max. Winter -naked, uh, neat. Or neat and naked ... depending on companionship.

2. Beer cold, women hot. To err is human, but if you mess this one up you'll have neither friends nor a long marriage.

3. Grotesque - unless used as a desperate backup when home alone and you've consumed too much of No 1 or No 2 to drive to grocery store.

4. Both major annoyances.

5. Yes.

• Blake and operation mindcrime like this

#5 TheMatt

TheMatt

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:31 PM

Ya. Quite bummed Rosario isn't back.

#6 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

1. Summer - Two cubes max. Winter -naked, uh, neat. Or neat and naked ... depending on companionship.

2. Beer cold, women hot. To err is human, but if you mess this one up you'll have neither friends nor a long marriage.

3. Grotesque - unless used as a desperate backup when home alone and you've consumed too much of No 1 or No 2 to drive to grocery store.

4. Both major annoyances.

5. Yes.

Jimmy Soul differs vociferously with you on point 2.

#7 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:20 PM

Ice in top shelf whiskey: Abomination or abomination?

Finally, something I am professionally equipped to weigh in on! I am NOT AT ALL claiming to be an expert in this field, it's just that I professionally have worked in distilled spirits for a little over 20 years. Top-shelf whiskey is an extremely broad term, and there is no way to specify what someone means when they talk about that.

A general guideline for a layman to decide wether or not to add ice (or distilled water- any form of potential dilution) to a dram would be to look at the ABV of the spirit itself. A whiskey sold in the US has a minimum ABV of 40% (80 proof) and adding any form of dilution to a 40% ABV spirit seems unnecessary for most drinkers. A spirit at 40% ABV is 60% water as is and the addition of more water (in the form of ice or otherwise) might tend to highlight some of the more acetone-like qualities in the alcohol itself rather than the sweetness of the distillate or the more herbaceous and spicy notes from the barrel. 

Don't add ice! Examples of 40% ABV whiskies some might consider top shelf:

Basil Hayden

Red Breast (most mass produced Irish is 40% for tax purposes)

42-~56%- When a spirit is distilled to a higher ABV, it is often done so to highlight existing spices from either the barrel or the distillate. Whiskies in this category are usually meant to be sipped neat, but have the character and richness to stand up to any form of dilution or modification. A whiskey in this ABV range is more likely to have flavors that can shine through when paired with a bold vermouth in a Manhattan, for example. For many years, 50% ABV was considered the sweet spot for American whiskey. https://en.wikipedia...Bottled_in_bond

The beauty of this range is that it can theoretically be enjoyed in more circumstances than can the 40% expressions, as the end-user can treat it as sort of a whiskey concentrate to be diluted down to where they prefer to drink it. If you happen to be enjoying a bonded whiskey in the near future, pour a couple ounces into your preferred vessel, take a regular ice cube from your freezer and just crack it (not shatter it) with the back of a spoon. add that ice and enjoy in several smaller sips throughout the hour. You will see that you are getting not just more dilution and different (softer) drinking experience as the ice melts, but you will find competing flavors that are always present in the spirit but are willing to shine more brightly at differing levels of dilution. The Early Times blue label bottled in bond is a fantastic example of this. About 50% of your ice cube has dissolved and you are drinking Woodford Reserve, 100% is dissolved and it's like your drinking Jim Beam double oaked. It's incredibly versatile and there's way more subtlety to it than the price would indicate.

Probably don't add ice, but you won't look like an ass if you do!

Too many examples to list.

57%+ ABV- getting into cask strength distillates

These expressions of whiskey are usually more expensive and produced in more limited qualities for a few reasons. Cask Strength (or Barrel Proof) implies that after the whiskey has finished aging, no water is added to it before bottling. Not all the whiskies in this range are cask strength, but probably a safe majority of the ones that might be considered top-shelf, are. There is something masturbatory about a distillery releasing a cask-strength spirit in that it is made with the understanding that casual whiskey drinkers aren't really expected to appreciate it fully. these whiskies can really be quite lovely at times while drinking quite warmly but still showcasing some subtlety. For the most part, though, you are going to find very intense and bold flavors with an aggression dominating the tasting experience. That is why this category of whiskies begs to have dilution added. The above example of cracking the spoon with an Early Times BiB becomes even more intense here because by the time your ice has dissolved and offered all of it possible dilution, you are usually still left with a whiskey of >40% ABV. This category, in baseball term, is the high-floor, high-ceiling prospect because a distillery wouldn't produce a cask strength expression of a subpar whiskey, and you are indeed buying whiskey concentrate for the days which you dont want to have the aggressive, intense whiskey drinking experience.

Probably add ice, but make sure you try it neat first!

Examples can be: Booker's, Wathen's Barrel Proof, Laphroiag 10yr Cask Strength, etc. Usually a cask strength expression is a higher ABV edition of something that already exists. Be prepared to spend.

That's about it for ice. I never went into dilution in terms of barrel statements or raw material (malted barley, corn, rye, etc.) because I think I wrote enough words about ice vs ABV.

Everybody who drinks whiskey likes to fancy themselves an expert. I will state again, for the record, I have no expertise in whiskey outside of what is required to do my job. If I misinformed above, I apologize. I tried only to give a general guideline because I want more people drinking good whiskey. Cheers! 

Did I mention cannabis is legal in Oregon and I took the day off?

• glunn, Blake, Mike Sixel and 6 others like this

#8 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

I love Laphroiag 10-yr. I drink it neat. I love the peaty taste of Islay Scotch. I prefer drinking any good whiskey neat.

• Blake and crapforks like this

#9 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:04 PM

I love Laphroiag 10-yr. I drink it neat. I love the peaty taste of Islay Scotch. I prefer drinking any good whiskey neat.

The 10yr is great! Try the 10yr cask strength!
  • Don Walcott likes this

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:12 PM

Finally, something I am professionally equipped to weigh in on! I am NOT AT ALL claiming to be an expert in this field, it's just that I professionally have worked in distilled spirits for a little over 20 years. Top-shelf whiskey is an extremely broad term, and there is no way to specify what someone means when they talk about that.

A general guideline for a layman to decide wether or not to add ice (or distilled water- any form of potential dilution) to a dram would be to look at the ABV of the spirit itself. A whiskey sold in the US has a minimum ABV of 40% (80 proof) and adding any form of dilution to a 40% ABV spirit seems unnecessary for most drinkers. A spirit at 40% ABV is 60% water as is and the addition of more water (in the form of ice or otherwise) might tend to highlight some of the more acetone-like qualities in the alcohol itself rather than the sweetness of the distillate or the more herbaceous and spicy notes from the barrel. 

Don't add ice! Examples of 40% ABV whiskies some might consider top shelf:

Basil Hayden

Red Breast (most mass produced Irish is 40% for tax purposes)

42-~56%- When a spirit is distilled to a higher ABV, it is often done so to highlight existing spices from either the barrel or the distillate. Whiskies in this category are usually meant to be sipped neat, but have the character and richness to stand up to any form of dilution or modification. A whiskey in this ABV range is more likely to have flavors that can shine through when paired with a bold vermouth in a Manhattan, for example. For many years, 50% ABV was considered the sweet spot for American whiskey. https://en.wikipedia...Bottled_in_bond

The beauty of this range is that it can theoretically be enjoyed in more circumstances than can the 40% expressions, as the end-user can treat it as sort of a whiskey concentrate to be diluted down to where they prefer to drink it. If you happen to be enjoying a bonded whiskey in the near future, pour a couple ounces into your preferred vessel, take a regular ice cube from your freezer and just crack it (not shatter it) with the back of a spoon. add that ice and enjoy in several smaller sips throughout the hour. You will see that you are getting not just more dilution and different (softer) drinking experience as the ice melts, but you will find competing flavors that are always present in the spirit but are willing to shine more brightly at differing levels of dilution. The Early Times blue label bottled in bond is a fantastic example of this. About 50% of your ice cube has dissolved and you are drinking Woodford Reserve, 100% is dissolved and it's like your drinking Jim Beam double oaked. It's incredibly versatile and there's way more subtlety to it than the price would indicate.

Probably don't add ice, but you won't look like an ass if you do!

Too many examples to list.

57%+ ABV- getting into cask strength distillates

These expressions of whiskey are usually more expensive and produced in more limited qualities for a few reasons. Cask Strength (or Barrel Proof) implies that after the whiskey has finished aging, no water is added to it before bottling. Not all the whiskies in this range are cask strength, but probably a safe majority of the ones that might be considered top-shelf, are. There is something masturbatory about a distillery releasing a cask-strength spirit in that it is made with the understanding that casual whiskey drinkers aren't really expected to appreciate it fully. these whiskies can really be quite lovely at times while drinking quite warmly but still showcasing some subtlety. For the most part, though, you are going to find very intense and bold flavors with an aggression dominating the tasting experience. That is why this category of whiskies begs to have dilution added. The above example of cracking the spoon with an Early Times BiB becomes even more intense here because by the time your ice has dissolved and offered all of it possible dilution, you are usually still left with a whiskey of >40% ABV. This category, in baseball term, is the high-floor, high-ceiling prospect because a distillery wouldn't produce a cask strength expression of a subpar whiskey, and you are indeed buying whiskey concentrate for the days which you dont want to have the aggressive, intense whiskey drinking experience.

Probably add ice, but make sure you try it neat first!

Examples can be: Booker's, Wathen's Barrel Proof, Laphroiag 10yr Cask Strength, etc. Usually a cask strength expression is a higher ABV edition of something that already exists. Be prepared to spend.

That's about it for ice. I never went into dilution in terms of barrel statements or raw material (malted barley, corn, rye, etc.) because I think I wrote enough words about ice vs ABV.

Everybody who drinks whiskey likes to fancy themselves an expert. I will state again, for the record, I have no expertise in whiskey outside of what is required to do my job. If I misinformed above, I apologize. I tried only to give a general guideline because I want more people drinking good whiskey. Cheers! 

Did I mention cannabis is legal in Oregon and I took the day off?

You also live in OR and like Whiskey....we should talk.

I just posted a review of Pikesville Rye. It is 110 proof, I believe. It was a bit hot on the nose, and I felt one or two cubes would improve the experience for me, but by the time I decided that at the bar, I had consumed half, and didn't want to drink watery rye.....I'm also no expert, but I think really high alcohol, as you say, could use some water. I know when we did our first scotch tasting, putting a small sip of water in the mouth first cut the heat, and brought out the flavors.....

Beer should be cool, so the flavors are not hidden by the cold, unless you are drinking US piss water, in which case, cold for sure. A great dark, aged, beer should be on the even less cool side, unless you don't like the flavor, then cold (or better yet, give your glass to someone near you that likes the flavor and order something else).

• Don Walcott and operation mindcrime like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#11 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:34 PM

The Twins really excel when Buxton is doing well at the plate as well as roaming the OF. The Twins sure could use another player in double digit homers.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#12 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:53 PM

The 10yr is great! Try the 10yr cask strength!

Having Lagavulin 9-year now. Game of Thrones, House of Lannister. Pretty good Islay Scotch.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#13 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:55 PM

jim bouton. sad.
  • Oldgoat_MN, IndianaTwin and operation mindcrime like this

#14 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:17 PM

Whoa Nelly!!!!!! :)
  • mickeymental likes this

#15 FLTwinsGuy

FLTwinsGuy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:18 PM

Clevinger bugs the **** out of me with that hair and stupid movement
  • operation mindcrime likes this

#16 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:24 PM

Way to go Sano! :(
  • PDX Twin likes this

#17 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 888 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Wouldn't we be better off if Sano and Adrianza traded positions?

• operation mindcrime and mrtwinsfan like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#18 HawksNest

HawksNest

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 78 posts

Just a completely idiotic throw by Sano there.Brutal

• PDX Twin, operation mindcrime and mrtwinsfan like this

#19 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 366 posts

How many errors does Sano have to make on 3rd for us to realize he sucks at 3rd?
  • PDX Twin and operation mindcrime like this

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:26 PM

Free game of the day, did someone mention that? So, I get to watch it!

• IndianaTwin and operation mindcrime like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game thread, twins, indians, hawt taeks