Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Keith Law Midseason Top 50

alex kirilloff royce lewis jordan balazovic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:24 PM

mike sixel
1:47 Royce Lewis.....is his fall mostly that your fears of him at SS are confirmed? A year of not hitting in A+? Clearly his change to his hitting is not going well. Did he do that on his own? Thanks,

Keith Law
1:48 Much more about not hitting/visible changes to his mechanics. I have never bought into the claims that he'll stay at short: He's not good there, and he could be very good in CF, maybe a 70 or better defender there. Most organizations would probably have moved him but the Twins have an 80 defender in center in the majors, so that may be one reason why they haven't.

http://meadowparty.c...awchat-7-11-19/

I'm not worried about his defense, these guys always claim guys can't stick at short unless they are absolutely elite. Their evaluations never seem to leave any room for average to below-average gloves at any given position.

I don't like the swing change bit for Lewis and it would be nice to know where it came from, particularly since most players are told to quite down their movements, not amp them up. But I'm also not too troubled by it; it's just tinkering after all. Nothing is stopping Lewis or anyone else from going back to an old swing or doing something completely new. Big deal, if it doesn't work, he won't stick with it.

I don't much care for Lewis' drop, but I do like that KLaw is a bit of a contrarian in his rankings. Seems a lot of these end up getting pretty group-think-y.

• Han Joelo, Dman and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#22 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

Keith Law's evaluations are good for entertainment only.No serious fan should give them a passing glance.:)

• Hosken Bombo Disco and SpicyGarvSauce like this

#23 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

Why? An injury is pretty big deal. And to his shoulder? Cripes, that's a pretty big flag. If he only pitches 47 innings this year, which is likely, after throwing 60 last year, I'd think his status has taken a huge hit. He'd be a injury plagued bullpen guy with a big arm. 

Based on his results while healthy. Law has always had him pegged as a reliever based on what you mention here and his high-effort delivery.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#24 COTwinsFan

COTwinsFan

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:17 PM

I personally pay a lot more attention to Keith Law's list as he has his own individual opinions and doesn't get caught up in the group think of most other lists. I think the bigger takeaway is how high he is on Jordan Balazovic. Due to the anchoring effect of draft position, Jordan Balazovic had to out perform to an incredible level just to even make the top 50. 

• Danchat and dgwills like this

#25 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

I would ask Keith this question - did he think Jorge Polanco would play well at SS when he was coming up as a prospect?

#26 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

I would ask Keith this question - did he think Jorge Polanco would play well at SS when he was coming up as a prospect?

A good thing about Keith, in my experience, is he also is not afraid to admit he was wrong.

He's done so repeatedly in reference to Jose Berrios.

• Mike Sixel and Dman like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#27 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:27 PM

I didn't see the list, but I would assume it includes guys who were just drafted as well?

Yes, there are newly drafted guys on the list.Rutschman at 7, Vaughn at 12, Witt at 21.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#28 COTwinsFan

COTwinsFan

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

A good thing about Keith, in my experience, is he also is not afraid to admit he was wrong.

He's done so repeatedly in reference to Jose Berrios.

Completely agree with this. It seems Law's biggest misses are generally shorter starting pitchers.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:28 PM

Keith Law's evaluations are good for entertainment only.No serious fan should give them a passing glance.:)

As opposed to what rankings? 

• Thrylos likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:29 PM

to what end? He offers opinion on thousands of players over time. He can't be wrong? I'm not sure what purpose this question would serve. I'm curious, why would you ask this?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#31 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:46 PM

Klaw is fine. He's not as good, IMHO, as the mlbpipline crew or Sickels (now at the Atlantic). BA is behind paywall but there are good. BP is crap. Fangraphs is really good, too. 

pipeline

fangraphs

Sickels

Klaw

BA

See how those five look at player X and you have a good idea about the strengths and weaknesses of a prospect. 

• Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

Klaw is fine. He's not as good, IMHO, as the mlbpipline crew or Sickels (now at the Atlantic). BA is behind paywall but there are good. BP is crap. Fangraphs is really good, too. 

pipeline

fangraphs

Sickels

Klaw

BA

See how those five look at player X and you have a good idea about the strengths and weaknesses of a prospect. 

Right, and Lewis fell on pipeline and KLAW. I don't pay for BA or the Athletic anymore. He's about neutral on Fangraphs. I'm guessing FGs no longer thinks 2020 is his actual ETA.....

But to your point, if you want to see where the industry feels players are, looking at as many of those five as possible gives you more data.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 11 July 2019 - 03:56 PM.

#33 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

Why? An injury is pretty big deal. And to his shoulder? Cripes, that's a pretty big flag. If he only pitches 47 innings this year, which is likely, after throwing 60 last year, I'd think his status has taken a huge hit. He'd be a injury plagued bullpen guy with a big arm. 

He threw over a 100 innings last year. The big arm is why I wanted him up in the majors as soon as possible because the big arms seem most at risk and he was just dominating the minors. .944 WHIP in A Ball and 1.049 in AA.Pre injury I don't know why anyone would be low on him. Still hoping he can come back and help us in September. Any progress reports at all?

• Mike Sixel likes this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#34 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:13 PM

It’s been a tough year for Lewis and Graterol. For me, I’m more concerned with Graterol...nothing to suggest he’s on a path to be a major league starter. Not that a stud reliever would be the worse thing in the world. Lewis seems capable of figuring it out...maybe later than we thought. And the move from SS to anywhere else is way easier than the other way around. I continue to expect the Twins to keep him there until the ‘last second’...until it’s obvious that he’d play for the big club at a different position.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#35 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

pipeline
fangraphs
Sickels
Klaw
BA

Yeah that’s a pretty good ranking of the rankers.

I’d really enjoy these more if I knew they were all done in isolation. Blindfolds on, no peaking to compare your answer to the rest of the industry!

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:26 PM

Yeah that’s a pretty good ranking of the rankers.

I’d really enjoy these more if I knew they were all done in isolation. Blindfolds on, no peaking to compare your answer to the rest of the industry!

Most of them talk to scouts and others to do the work, but I assume you mean not to look at other rankings? KLAW claims not to, I believe. Not sure about the rest....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff, royce lewis, jordan balazovic