Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Jorge Polanco’s Defensive Transformation

jorge polanco ehire adrianza jake mauer
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:40 PM

Polanco was signed as an athletic SS with a questionable bat.

After his first couple of seasons the bat emerged to the point where he was a top of the order hitter who got slid down to being a #3 hitter for his team because the hit tool was just that good.

Somebody, somewhere, decided he couldn't play at SS at the ML level, even though he was signed as an athletic SS.

I have posted this over and over and over again. How many have looked at milb error numbers or early MLB error numbers for previous Gold Glove and All Star SS? With little exception, there was a learning curve involved.

Despite some weird handling of his options...and I give credit to Molitor for seeing what this kid could become...he was the starting AL SS in the All Star game just after his 26th birthday.

He continues to get better and better defensively and offensively.

But some would quibble he's not an "elite" SS? Or not yet defensively elite? I get it. But what else could you want at thjs point?
  • jokin and JLease like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

My point is that we don’t have to accept mediocrity in the field at SS. Get a strong defender at SS and let Polanco be the best all around second basemen in baseball because he would be elite at second base

first off, we don't actually know that Polanco would be a better defender at 2B than SS; it's been speculated a lot but he really hasn't played there enough for this to be fact.

second, we've got a guy in Schoop currently doing very well for us at 2B with a very interesting heir apparent in Arraez that's lead us to being 4th in WAA at 2B (80% of that is Schoop, btw). Neither of these guys can play SS full-time, so why would you preemptively move on from Schoop or bury Arraez as a utility guy to move Polanco over?

third, the idea of "get a superior defender at SS" is all well and good in a vacuum, but who is actually going to slot in there and how much do you have to pay to get them? How much offensive drop-off do you have to accept to get the superior defender? who is that superior defender?

I like Polanco just fine where he is. We have him on a long-term deal that's outstanding for the team for the value he brings. He's bringing elite overall play at SS and getting other good bats into play at 2B.

• lecroy24fan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jorge polanco, ehire adrianza, jake mauer