Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

who is the better defensive player?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

Kiriloff or Larnach?

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,467 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:51 PM

Kiriloff or Larnach?

No.

• adorduan likes this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#3 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,467 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:55 PM

Kiriloff or Larnach?

But seriously, the scouting info used by Out Of The Park indicates both have the tools to play corner outfield. Kirilloff might have a little more speed, Larnach might have a little more arm. Neither has the speed of Lamont Wade (who IMO doesn't have quite sufficient speed for CF). Larnach's arm is about on a par with Wade's (which isn't really special). None of the tools are stellar, all are adequate for keeping the bat in the lineup. If you had both players in the lineup, you'd probably put Kirilloff in left and Larnach in right.

That's one take, based on someone else's serious attempt to provide reality to a mere game. (MLB.com's Prospect page basically gives them both averagish 50s for their defense except a 55 for Larnarch's arm.) I'll be interested to see others, especially eyewitnesses.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#4 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

There was video of Kirilloff making a great diving catch, and at the very end, you hear the announcer saying “and that was by far the b—“ ... and then the video cuts off.

That’s the only information I can provide about either of them.

We hear little about these guys’ defense performance and I definitely appreciate the question being asked!
  • ashbury likes this

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

Also remember that the organization just about gave up on Polanco at short back in 2016. Polanco is not a great fielder there but he’s an All Star! more than adequate defensively :)

Only to say that defense is a skill that can be practiced and improved.

#6 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:02 PM

the reason I asked is if the Twins would be likely to move 1 of them because they didn't see the ability to play at least average outfield defense. sounds like neither are great but probably good enough to be average, but just being average does put on a little more pressure to be above average at the plate.

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:24 PM

Now throw in Rooker, who is a lesser prospect but closest to the majors, and throw in Kepler with his recent extension, and that corner outfield is not a hard position to fill anyway, and I expect the odds are pretty good that one of them is traded.
  • adorduan, DocBauer and Vanimal46 like this