Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

All-Star Game 2019

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,475 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:21 PM

They had a game Tuesday night. Sort of an exhibition, I guess you could call it - both leagues sent some of their better players. Seeing no mention of the outcome of this "friendly match", I thought I'd post a few nuggets about those of our guys who were invited to take part. I apologize if I'm repeating someone else's work here.

Jorge Polanco batted ninth in the order. He thus came up to bat only twice before courteously offering his spot in the lineup to another fellow. Clayton Kershaw struck him out in the second inning. But in the fifth inning he legged out a single against Walker Buehler, resulting in an RBI for his efforts. Since the game was decided 4-3, this run is as good as any to point to as the deciding factor. I don't recall any balls in play that went his way, so the nation was robbed of a chance to savor his sidearm stylings.

Jose Berrios pitched the third inning. He was greeted by a leadoff double at the hands of Ketel Marte, but proceeded to strike out the next two batters and then induced a harmless flyout. Good inning.

Jake Odorizzi was on the premises but was not invited by the big kids to have a turn on the mound. Too bad for him. He'll just have to try again next year, I guess. He'll be a year older, maybe a little bigger.

And that's... kind of it, I think. Anyone else have any observations to share?

• glunn and nclahammer like this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#2 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,054 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

Polanco looked quite happy with his single.
  • ashbury likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#3 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:24 AM

Joe Buck trying to be cool and talking to players on the field was nauseating. Then again, Buck could have been sitting there silently and I'd still want to throw up.

• snepp likes this

#4 GCTF

GCTF

Wasting Your Time

• Members
  • 2,916 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:36 AM

Joe Buck trying to be cool and talking to players on the field was nauseating. Then again, Buck could have been sitting there silently and I'd still want to throw up.

Welcome to Twins Daily, Jim Brockmire!

• ashbury and snepp like this

Endut! Hoch Hech!

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:43 AM

Jake Odorizzi was on the premises but was not invited by the big kids to have a turn on the mound.

I know you are going for a humorous characterization, but this implies Odorizzi didn't play due to the coach's decision, which isn't true. He couldn't play because he is on the injured list.
  • ashbury likes this

#6 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,475 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:29 AM

I know you are going for a humorous characterization, but this implies Odorizzi didn't play due to the coach's decision, which isn't true. He couldn't play because he is on the injured list.

You are too kind. I just forgot. Thanks for the addition.

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.