Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Matthew Boyd and Shane Greene for............

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,755 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

They were right about Grandal but that needs context too. Big difference in signing a free agent as opposed to giving up the necessary assets to trade for Realmuto. In addition, the shot at Grandal was probably before signing Cruz. They could have gotten Garver ABs at 1st, DH and catcher so adding Grandal as a free agent when they had not yet added Cruz makes sense.

Your post complained about a number of suggested FA signings, as well as trades.

And Cruz signed on Jan. 2. The Grandal offer was later in January.
  • USAFChief likes this

#82 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

I have no idea where the market is but my guess is that this would be a severe overpay by the Twins. 

Royce Lewis was the first pick overall and he is only 20 years old, plus he's a consensus Top 10 overall prospect. 

Nobody should let a so-so year at High A while being 20 years old taint his value to this degree.  

Royce Lewis by himself better be an extreme overpay. If he isn't an overpay by himself, there is no reason to pay attention to the MLB draft anymore. This is what a 1st pick overall is worth at age 20?

If you offer Royce Lewis by himself... the Tigers say yes in less than a second, they don't wait for a better offer to come along. 

Boyd still has 3 years of control after this season and Greene has 1.Royce Lewis in a 1-1 or 1 for both, Detroit hangs up the phone laughing.

2 good MLB pitchers with low cost control past this season is worth a lot more than any 1 prospect. Love Royce Lewis but Detroit declines the Greene/Boyd trade even with Rooker involved.

#83 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:55 PM

If we're talking about trading one of the team's top prospects for Boyd, isn't Boyd the overpay? People are talking about him like he's the hottest player on the market (not just here, he's gotten some really odd helium everywhere).

His profile looks like a fluke to me. I can understand a starter getting good results for three months going almost exclusively to his only two good pitches, but I can't see that guy continuing to get good results much longer. The league is almost certainly going to catch up, that's why these guys almost always end up in the pen, starters without usable off speed pitches are rare.

I'm more than happy trading for non-established pitchers thinking our team can get them going. I love the idea really. But I don't like this player, and I don't think he's being evaluated like typical non-established pitchers.

What part of his profile is a fluke?Its hard to fake it with 12 k/9. His FIP, xFIP, and SIERRA all point to a lower ERA than he currently has.

Edited by SomeGuy, 12 July 2019 - 01:56 PM.

#84 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,194 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:40 PM

I wonder if Nick Castellanos could be had in a package for Boyd too.

#85 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,755 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:46 PM

I wonder if Nick Castellanos could be had in a package for Boyd too.

Would we want him?
  • Mike Sixel likes this