Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Matthew Boyd and Shane Greene for............

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:44 PM

Could the Detroit Tigers say no to the proposed trade of Matthew Boyd and Shane Greene to the Twins for:
Royce Lewis, Brent Rooker, Kole Stewart, and Jake Cave? Boyd is controlled until 2023 and Greene through 2021.
This would give the Twins a top of the rotation left handed starter, and a tough right handed closer to go with Rogers.
The Tigers might ask for someone like Jhoan Duran instead of Stewart.
Is Lewis still untouchable in this situation?
  • Oldgoat_MN, tarheeltwinsfan and Vanimal46 like this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:03 PM

That seems light. Verlander, older and with less control, cost more. I think you need another top player. Stewart and Cave are AAAA players, most likely. I'd guess Lanarch or some non Kirilloff OF for Cave, and whatever catcher they like best for Rooker. Probably a pitcher better than Stewart.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#3 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

Lewis, Rooker, Duran, J. Davis, and Poppen.
  • Sconnie and curt1965 like this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:04 PM

Not sure I’m a big fan of Boyd, he kind of came out of nowhere and I don’t see much reason why he improved. He’s still only throwing 91-92 MPH and still doesn’t really have much of an off speed pitch. He feels like a soon to dissipate anomaly to me.
  • Dman, PDX Twin, Rigby and 2 others like this

#5 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,457 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:13 PM

Not sure I’m a big fan of Boyd, he kind of came out of nowhere and I don’t see much reason why he improved. He’s still only throwing 91-92 MPH and still doesn’t really have much of an off speed pitch. He feels like a soon to dissipate anomaly to me.

https://www.baseball...f-matthew-boyd/
  • curt1965 likes this

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,773 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

That seems light. Verlander, older and with less control, cost more. I think you need another top player. Stewart and Cave are AAAA players, most likely. I'd guess Lanarch or some non Kirilloff OF for Cave, and whatever catcher they like best for Rooker. Probably a pitcher better than Stewart.

Verlander didn't cost more. The headliner was the Astros' #3 prospect, who had a 54/84 ranking on BA/BP top 100, respectively. He wasn't even on the MLB.com list that year.

• bluechipper and curt1965 like this

#7 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:38 PM

Could the Detroit Tigers say no to the proposed trade of Matthew Boyd and Shane Greene to the Twins for:
Royce Lewis, Brent Rooker, Kole Stewart, and Jake Cave? Boyd is controlled until 2023 and Greene through 2021.
This would give the Twins a top of the rotation left handed starter, and a tough right handed closer to go with Rogers.
The Tigers might ask for someone like Jhoan Duran instead of Stewart.
Is Lewis still untouchable in this situation?

Stewart & Cave have little to no trade value. I would doubt they would take that offer for just Boyd.

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,194 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

Kudos for starting the offer with Lewis. That's at least the starting point...
  • Twins33, spycake, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#9 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

The reason for my post, in part, was this: who would you want the Twins trading for-2 month rentals of MadBum and Will Smith, or pitchers with equal or better talent (Boyd and Greene), that will be a big part of the Twins future?
  • Battle ur tail off likes this

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,059 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

I have no idea where the market is but my guess is that this would be a severe overpay by the Twins. 

Royce Lewis was the first pick overall and he is only 20 years old, plus he's a consensus Top 10 overall prospect. 

Nobody should let a so-so year at High A while being 20 years old taint his value to this degree.  

Royce Lewis by himself better be an extreme overpay. If he isn't an overpay by himself, there is no reason to pay attention to the MLB draft anymore. This is what a 1st pick overall is worth at age 20?

If you offer Royce Lewis by himself... the Tigers say yes in less than a second, they don't wait for a better offer to come along. 

• SirLoin, Monkeypaws, bluechipper and 5 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,773 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

Kudos for starting the offer with Lewis. That's at least the starting point...

I actually think Lewis and Rooker are a pretty good starting point.

But a lot more interesting back-end pieces will be required to make that deal work. Quality back-end pieces with real upside.

#12 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:55 PM

Please don't put in links that are locked behind a paywall.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,773 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:56 PM

The reason for my post, in part, was this: who would you want the Twins trading for-2 month rentals of MadBum and Will Smith, or pitchers with equal or better talent (Boyd and Greene), that will be a big part of the Twins future?

Honestly, I'd prefer a mix. If the Twins can get a starter with 1+ year of control, pay for it.

Relievers? I honestly don't give a ****. That subset of pitching is so damned volatile that I'd almost prefer the Twins work more on developing their own and using FA to piecemeal a bullpen.

• Twins33, Danchat, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

#14 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:38 PM

I would be bummed out if the Twins cashed Lewis in for that haul. Also, I would suspect the Tigers wanting more pitching in that deal. I think Balazovic, Graterol and one of Kiriloff/Gordon would be a likelier ask. Maybe with a Gonsalves/Thorpe type add-in for a sweetener.

#15 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:54 PM

I'll pass on Boyd. Average year last year. Nearly 3 k/9 higher than his career. Not worth a top 10 prospect and then some. Detroit is out of their minds in they think he's worth the house.

Greene on the other hand may be a better target. Late inning reliever who has had a consistent k/9 rate. Probably pitching over his head in terms of ERA, but would to be a definite upgrade to the bullpen.

• nicksaviking, Major League Ready and lukeduke1980 like this

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,885 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:14 AM

I actually think Lewis and Rooker are a pretty good starting point.

But a lot more interesting back-end pieces will be required to make that deal work. Quality back-end pieces with real upside.

As someone who wants Boyd, I have to agree with this. I think you're likely looking at one of AK, Lewis, or Graterol to headline. Rooker is a good second piece. He's not my first choice, but if that's what Detroit wanted, I wouldn't be holding back.

You might (and I emphasize the might) be able to throw in a Mejia/Gonsalves/Stewart type for some 40 man help, but it won't be cave as the other piece. It would be someone like Blankenorn, Alcala, Duran, Jeffers, Rortvedt, etc... someone with upside. I'm not sure Cave is that type.

• Sconnie likes this

#17 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,755 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

I have no idea where the market is but my guess is that this would be a severe overpay by the Twins.

Royce Lewis was the first pick overall and he is only 20 years old, plus he's a consensus Top 10 overall prospect.

Nobody should let a so-so year at High A while being 20 years old taint his value to this degree.

Royce Lewis by himself better be an extreme overpay. If he isn't an overpay by himself, there is no reason to pay attention to the MLB draft anymore. This is what a 1st pick overall is worth at age 20?

If you offer Royce Lewis by himself... the Tigers say yes in less than a second, they don't wait for a better offer to come along.

I don't know about this. The A's gave up Addison Russell for 1.5 years of Samardzija and 0.5 years of Hammel. That was considered a bit of an overpay by the A's, although they turned around and sold the last 1.0 years of Samardzija for some quality pieces too (who arguably turned out better than Russell).

Here, it's 3.5 years of Boyd and 1.5 years of Greene. I guess if they think Boyd's season is a mirage, they might jump on this, but otherwise, I think a prospect around Lewis's ranking seems like a fair expectation as a starting point.

Edited by spycake, 11 July 2019 - 07:21 AM.

• curt1965 and DannySD like this

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,059 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:32 AM

I don't know about this. The A's gave up Addison Russell for 1.5 years of Samardzija and 0.5 years of Hammel. That was considered a bit of an overpay by the A's, although they turned around and sold the last 1.0 years of Samardzija for some quality pieces too (who arguably turned out better than Russell).

Here, it's 3.5 years of Boyd and 1.5 years of Greene. I guess if they think Boyd's season is a mirage, they might jump on this, but otherwise, I think a prospect around Lewis's ranking seems like a fair expectation as a starting point.

I have no idea what the market will be. More buyers than sellers should drive the price up in theory. However the Russell trade was many moons ago and more recent history suggests that prospects are carrying a higher value these days.

I know Chapman and Machado were rentals but if you look at the price difference between those two... it suggests a shift in what organizations are placing value on.

But yeah... I fully admit I have no idea what the market prices are today but if the Tigers are asking for something similar to what is being suggested. Boyd might be pitching with Mize for the Tigers next year.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#19 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• Members
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:50 AM

Boyd is having a good year but I doubt GMs would consider today's Boyd anywhere near a comparable pitcher to Verlander when he was traded. Verlander is exactly the type of player that can take a team to the next level and and make a deep playoff run.Boyd has nowhere near proven he can be that guy. 

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

But Samardzija had a track record of quality results with good velocity and could throw just about any conceivable pitch. Boyd has been largely terrible until this year, throws low 90's and only has two usable pitches. 

Would anyone be talking about him right now if his ERA wasn't under 4.00?