Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Blueprinting the Twins Deadline Plan

minnesota twins derek falvey trade deadline
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:31 AM

If Falvey gives up that much in a trade for Bumgarner who is clearly just ML average at this point, no matter who the reliever is that is tossed in with him, he should be fired...

Justin Verlander 2017 with Detroit prior to trade;
era 3.82
fip 4.07
whip 1.28
K's to Walks 2.63

Madison Bumgarner 2019 so far;
era 4.03
fip 3.90
whip 1.20
K's to Walks 4.79

Not to mention MadBum is 29 yrs old - Not to mention he has proven his Big Game status in 3 Octobers + my trade also brings Watson. As of today, MadBum's numbers are better than Verlanders at trade deadline 2017. MadBums already a stud and legend. Berrios may become one, but as of today we don't have one yet and I think we need one for October. Also not to mention the locker room factor in having a 3 time WS champ in everyones ear. If Cruz matters in the clubhouse - MadBum will matter at least equally. 

"who is clearly just ML average at this point" - I don't think so brother. 

• nokomismod, Vanimal46 and KFEY93 like this

#22 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 100 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:39 AM

If Falvey gives up that much in a trade for Bumgarner who is clearly just ML average at this point, no matter who the reliever is that is tossed in with him, he should be fired...

So you wouldn't trade Gordon, Mejia and Stewart for Bumgarner and Will Smith? I believe I would, and I wouldn't expect to be fired if I did...

• USAFChief, Thrylos, nokomismod and 6 others like this

#23 JD Green

JD Green

Elizabethton Twins

• 26 posts
  • LocationSW Minn.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:23 AM

Consider Thorpe and Smeltzer in the pen along with Pineda? We do have a few days to run Thorpe and Smeltzer out of the pen to see how they would do. Trade or release any of Mejia, May, Duffey, Morin, Gordon, Stewart, Gonsalves, Rooker for MadBum and Smith? 

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

#24 KidBro

KidBro

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 95 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:20 PM

The Twins need to be close to feel that they have at least half favorable rotation matchups with any post-season team to be relevant in the post-season.Not sure that they are there against the Astros and Dodgers (at least).

Also they need to have a pitcher who they trust that no matter what will keep them in the game.They had that in Johan.They even had that in Radke.Not sure that they have that in anyone in this rotation.I would think that everyone in this rotation is prone to a 5 run inning out of the blue.

So a starter better than Berrios/Odorizzi is a must for this team to be relevant in the post season.This might actually improve the pen by pushing one of the starters there.

As far as the pen goes, they need 2 arms better than Rogers for the RH setup up position and the closer position.

I certainly agree that the Twins pitching isn't on par w/ Houstons, or the Dodgers, and likely even NYY unless we somehow landed Max and Giles/Smith/etc.However, I think we can be less than par vs their pitching and certainly still feel confident that we can win a series vs them.B/c I do believe the Twins offense is built well for October baseball.They have beaten really good pitching this year.Twins lead the league in HR's obviously, as well as extra base hits, OPS.They are among the bottom of the league in Strikeouts (thanks for missing the first 50 games Sano).When runs are at a premium the Twins at least have a quick strike offense that boasts plenty of depth to score quickly.Bless Luis Castillo and Chriiiiiiiiistian Gooozman (Bob Casey Metrodome Flashback), but these guys don't need to string together 4 hits and BB to score 2 runs.It's Bomba Squad, and the opposing teams know the Twins still are a threat w/ only 26 outs recorded.  

All that being said, do whatever it takes, and lets land Max and Giles and play into November.  

#25 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 402 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:26 PM

We can afford to give up any OF prospects outside of Kirilloff 

Why is that? If Kiriloff is able to be traded for a controllable top of the rotation piece, move him. You have some nice outfielders on your team. Lock up Eddie and Buxton and this team will be fine for years to come. 

If it is me, I go over to the Mets and offer a guy like Kiriloff + another 10-20 guy for one of those high end starters they have. It is OK to send out good talent if you are getting good talent in return. The iron is hot now, go ahead and do what it takes. 

• brvama and In My La-Z-boy like this

#26 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,929 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:15 PM

Why is that? If Kiriloff is able to be traded for a controllable top of the rotation piece, move him. You have some nice outfielders on your team. Lock up Eddie and Buxton and this team will be fine for years to come. 

If it is me, I go over to the Mets and offer a guy like Kiriloff + another 10-20 guy for one of those high end starters they have. It is OK to send out good talent if you are getting good talent in return. The iron is hot now, go ahead and do what it takes. 

I should have provided context. The conversation had been around Stroman and/or RPs so I responded in that context. I don't see the much value in adding a modest upgrade like Stroman. We still would not match up with other playoff teams and certainly would not match up with the Dodgers if they somehow got through to the WS. So, you bet if you can get a controlled SP without totally giving up the farm, great. 

Edited by Major League Ready, 10 July 2019 - 06:16 PM.

• Battle ur tail off and In My La-Z-boy like this

#27 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,737 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:30 PM

By my unofficial research and some parsing of Roster Resource data the Twins have 70 players to fit into a 40-man roster come this winter with Rule 5 Eligibles and current 39 man roster (here's a link )

I gotta believe there will be several Rule 5-ers moving on

Here's who's Rule 5 Eligible this winter

Screen Shot 2019 07 10 At 7.18.04 PM

• ashbury and jorgenswest like this
Is it 2020 yet?

#28 Reider

Reider

• 652 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:01 PM

First off, what an incredible first half of the season! If the Twins are going to take a run at winning the World Series, this would be a good year to do it. At minimum, I think the Twins need to acquire one high end starter and two high end relievers. 

#29 Jacks02

Jacks02

Elizabethton Twins

• 23 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:38 PM

Those clamoring for sending Pineda to then pen realize he's pitching really well of late right?

This is a guy who is gaining strength and getting back into the swing after TJ surgery, he seems to be coming into his own at the halfway point of the season.

Over the last month he is 2-1 with 31 K's in 28.2 IP, a 2.83 ERA and 1.01 WHIP.

He's only allowed 1 run in four of his last five starts, with the other being one with a bad 5 run inning against Kansas City where he gave up a 3 run HR to Hunter Dozier. His good starts came against BOS, SEA, and TEX, who all have potent offenses.

• PseudoSABR and Reider like this

#30 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,613 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:16 AM

So you wouldn't trade Gordon, Mejia and Stewart for Bumgarner and Will Smith? I believe I would, and I wouldn't expect to be fired if I did...

Bumgardner isn't my top choice for a starter, but if that option is on the table, I think Falvine takes it before SF can hang up the phone. 

• redstorm and In My La-Z-boy like this

#31 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,613 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:19 AM

Those clamoring for sending Pineda to then pen realize he's pitching really well of late right?

This is a guy who is gaining strength and getting back into the swing after TJ surgery, he seems to be coming into his own at the halfway point of the season.

He's only allowed 1 run in four of his last five starts, with the other being one with a bad 5 run inning against Kansas City where he gave up a 3 run HR to Hunter Dozier. His good starts came against BOS, SEA, and TEX, who all have potent offenses.

yeah, I suspect Perez goes to the pen before Pineda. 

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#32 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• 264 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:01 AM

That ruins the narrative, though!

#33 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:33 AM

"We may have enough guys to get by in the pen if the starters can get some relatively deep starts."

The run that the Nationals are on is a result of starters averaging 7 innings. Now its crunch time and if starters can't go deeper than 4 or 5 innings forget playoffs I don't care who they get in the pen. Maybe there is no magic wand to accomplish that but it must happen never the less.

#34 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 307 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

Listened to Falvey on the SKOR North Twins Show podcast on 7/10. I'm going to paraphrase from memory here, but essentially he said that - because of the hard July 31st deadline date - sellers are more likely to lower their asking price the closer to the deadline they wait to pull the trigger. 

My positive side says "That's smart shopping."

My neutral sid says "But don't wait too long."

And my negative side says "So you're going to let the other teams get the good pitchers to win this year; take the third- or fourth-tier leftovers; and be happy with a first-round elimination, losing three straight to whichever team takes Bumgartner or Stroman."

• Battle ur tail off and SpicyGarvSauce like this

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#35 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:15 AM

And my negative side says "So you're going to let the other teams get the good pitchers to win this year; take the third- or fourth-tier leftovers; and be happy with a first-round elimination, losing three straight to whichever team takes Bumgartner or Stroman."

And this would be such a Minnesota Twins thing to do.

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,613 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:24 AM

Listened to Falvey on the SKOR North Twins Show podcast on 7/10. I'm going to paraphrase from memory here, but essentially he said that - because of the hard July 31st deadline date - sellers are more likely to lower their asking price the closer to the deadline they wait to pull the trigger. 

My positive side says "That's smart shopping."

My neutral sid says "But don't wait too long."

If that's the case, you won't see many trades until the deadline... Truthfully, I'd rather we pay a bit more and add some help sooner than later... that's just me. If you start seeing trades in the next week though, then the Twins had better get on it or your negative side is right.

• LA VIkes Fan and woolywoolhouse like this

#37 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 402 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:44 AM

Really, REALLY, hope this isn't the case. People have been waiting around a long time for our home grown talent to be here and producing to finally make a run for it. Well, here it is. Most of it is up here and producing but they need to add in order to give themselves a real shot to win in the playoffs. 

IMO, this trade deadline is the most important thing that has happened around here in a long time and definitely the biggest point in the careers of the 2 wonderkids we have running the show. 

• woolywoolhouse likes this

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:39 AM

Really, REALLY, hope this isn't the case. People have been waiting around a long time for our home grown talent to be here and producing to finally make a run for it. Well, here it is. Most of it is up here and producing but they need to add in order to give themselves a real shot to win in the playoffs.

IMO, this trade deadline is the most important thing that has happened around here in a long time and definitely the biggest point in the careers of the 2 wonderkids we have running the show.

Thad Levine is 47 years old.

#39 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,537 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:33 PM

Thad Levine is 47 years old.

wtf is that supposed to imply???

Did I mention I turn 47 in 3 months.

😎

#40 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

wtf is that supposed to imply???

Did I mention I turn 47 in 3 months.

😎

That he's not a "kid", as the poster I quoted called him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, derek falvey, trade deadline