Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: The 5 Biggest Twins Surprises at the All-Star Break

jason castro mitch garver jake odorizzi ryne harper byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,134 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:40 AM

Interesting that there are no mentions of Pineda. Big Mike continues getting better seemingly with every start.

Have a question about Arraez. Can he be selected Rookie of the Year if he doesn't have X minimum at bats? Lets say he hits .325 average with around a .400 OBP the rest of the year...say 200 more at bats. Would they vote a guy the top rookie with a .335 average and .410 OBP, but only 300 at bats? Could they?

they could.

There are no minimums to be eligible, only maximums.

To be eligible for ROTY, a player can't have accumulated more than 130 ABs or 50 IP, or spent more than 45 days on a 25 man roster outside September, in any previous year(s).

If a player meets that criteria, he is eligible for ROTY.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#22 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:04 AM

The biggest surprise for me is that the free agent signings have ALL exceeded even our wildest expectations.

Perez was supposed to be a back-end starter and long-man. He's now the #3 and has great numbers.

Schoop, we were just hoping he'd hit 20 HRs and fill the short term hole at 2B. He'll do that and probably more.

Cruz, we crossed our fingers and bet he had more in the tank. He does.

Cron, we flipped a coin and bet last year wasn't a fluke. It wasn't.

Parker's done what's been asked for the most part, it wasn't a bad signing.

Literally none of these guys have crashed and burned - to the contrary they've been huge additions that have pushed this team from a borderline .500 ballclub to a team that's 20 games over at the break.

• Don Walcott likes this

#23 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

they could.

There are no minimums to be eligible, only maximums.

To be eligible for ROTY, a player can't have accumulated more than 130 ABs or 50 IP, or spent more than 45 days on a 25 man roster outside September, in any previous year(s).

If a player meets that criteria, he is eligible for ROTY.

As a practical matter, a midseason call up is behind from day one. A case in point is Frank Thomas. He amassed 240 PA in 1990 and put ungodly numbers, a 177 OPS+, far better than anyone else in the running. But he isn’t even listed in the voting results. Oddly enough, the runner up, Kevin Maas, had only about 300 PA.

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,134 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

As a practical matter, a midseason call up is behind from day one. A case in point is Frank Thomas. He amassed 240 PA in 1990 and put ungodly numbers, a 177 OPS+, far better than anyone else in the running. But he isn’t even listed in the voting results. Oddly enough, the runner up, Kevin Maas, had only about 300 PA.

as a practical matter, I agree.

I understood the question to be about eligibility, perhaps I read it wrong.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,065 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:28 PM

Re: Arraez and ROY:

Currently Luis Arraez is 4th in fWAR among AL position player Rookies behind Brandon Lowe 2.5 fWAR, Daniel Vogelbach, 2.1 fWAR, and Danny Jansen 1.2 fWAR.The only Rookie pitcher who should be in the conversation is O's starter John Means who is 7-4 with 2.50 ERA for that team, and should be the forerunner for the AL ROY award.If Arraez overtakes Lowe and Means regresses, then he has hopes.He would probably need to spend the rest of the season in the bigs for that to happen.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 10 July 2019 - 02:30 PM

The biggest surprise for me is that the free agent signings have ALL exceeded even our wildest expectations.

Perez was supposed to be a back-end starter and long-man. He's now the #3 and has great numbers.

Schoop, we were just hoping he'd hit 20 HRs and fill the short term hole at 2B. He'll do that and probably more.

Cruz, we crossed our fingers and bet he had more in the tank. He does.

Cron, we flipped a coin and bet last year wasn't a fluke. It wasn't.

Parker's done what's been asked for the most part, it wasn't a bad signing.

Literally none of these guys have crashed and burned - to the contrary they've been huge additions that have pushed this team from a borderline .500 ballclub to a team that's 20 games over at the break.

Add Marwin into that group as a good signing. And Pineda turned out to be a good signing as well.

Dumping Addison Reed closed the circle a pretty rough group that were signed before last year. But this year, the FO got free agent signings about as right as possible. Just goes to show that if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. And just because many free agents don't work out, it doesn't mean you never spend money on free agents to help build your team.

• Mike Sixel and bighat like this

#27 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

Add Marwin into that group as a good signing. And Pineda turned out to be a good signing as well.

Dumping Addison Reed closed the circle a pretty rough group that were signed before last year. But this year, the FO got free agent signings about as right as possible. Just goes to show that if at first you don't succeed, try, try again. And just because many free agents don't work out, it doesn't mean you never spend money on free agents to help build your team.

In any short term there is a fair amount of luck involved.Last year we brought in Lynn, Reed, Odorizzi and Morrison. I thought these were great pickups but they didn't work out last yearSome credit to front office, some luck, good and bad. In the past year we got Cruz, Marwin, Pineda, Perez, and Cron.Also traded Lynn and Pressly. Some credit, some fault and some luck, good and bad.I am not against free agency but sometimes I wonder if all we did was draft well and made sure we kept our players throughout their productive years we might be just well off and maybe even better.Constantly see our former players do well for other teams. If we had kept Hicks, Hendricks, Pressly,and others would that offset the acquisitions that have worked out. Of course we haven't done that well with starting pitching but that is why I said if we draft well.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

In any short term there is a fair amount of luck involved.Last year we brought in Lynn, Reed, Odorizzi and Morrison. I thought these were great pickups but they didn't work out last yearSome credit to front office, some luck, good and bad. In the past year we got Cruz, Marwin, Pineda, Perez, and Cron.Also traded Lynn and Pressly. Some credit, some fault and some luck, good and bad.I am not against free agency but sometimes I wonder if all we did was draft well and made sure we kept our players throughout their productive years we might be just well off and maybe even better.Constantly see our former players do well for other teams. If we had kept Hicks, Hendricks, Pressly,and others would that offset the acquisitions that have worked out. Of course we haven't done that well with starting pitching but that is why I said if we draft well.

No great teams are made up only of draft picks and IFA signings. Are they? I can't think of any.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#29 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,607 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

The biggest surprise for me is the contracts Max and Jorge received.

he gone!

#30 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:11 PM

No great teams are made up only of draft picks and IFA signings. Are they? I can't think of any.

1927 Yankees.   

#31 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:22 PM

I was just talking theoretically. Before 1975 there was no free agency and there were still great teams. It would still be possible if a team were to draft real well and never lose their guys when they become free agents. Twins right now could have Ramos, Garver, Sano, Planco, Arraez, Kepler, Rosario, Buxton and Hicks.  They would also have Hendricks, Rogers, Pressly, Berrios and Gibson.  Like I said our drafts have not yielded great starting pitching. Other teams may have great starting pitchers but lack in quality position players. Some would get both right and some would get neither right. I know they will never go backwards but I think no free agency is a better model for competitive balance for the league. Trades would still be in the mix. No, great teams do not happen in modern baseball with out free agents because every team has some and loses others.

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:06 AM

You might find this interesting

https://blogs.fangra...megrown-talent/

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jason castro, mitch garver, jake odorizzi, ryne harper, byron buxton