Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: TEX 4, MIN 1: Quiet Bats Can’t Back Up Great Pitching

devin smeltzer trevor may ryne harper miguel sano byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

Buxton is safe at third 9 times out of 10 on that play...but it cost them the winning run, unfortunately. Incredible throw, bounced right into the glove on his shoulder. Good play and incredibly lucky were the only way it results in a double play with no run scoring.
  • Madisonsdad, cjj td and Don Walcott like this

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,134 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:12 PM

Buxton is safe at third 9 times out of 10 on that play...but it cost them the winning run, unfortunately. Incredible throw, bounced right into the glove on his shoulder. Good play and incredibly lucky were the only way it results in a double play with no run scoring.

Buxton should be safe 10 of 10 times on that play, because he shouldn't tag up 10 of 10 times.

That was a really, really bad baseball mistake. Really bad, and a mental error which I find difficult to ignore. I'm pretty confident Buxton would agree.

That it cost a game is beside the point, almost. Hopefully that won't ever happen again.
  • Blake, SarasotaBill, Madisonsdad and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#23 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:19 AM

Buxton's play, I was at the game, surprised he went for it.Ball wasn't that deep.

More often than an out, I think the ball would get by the 3B and he would score because the pitcher was backing up home.

I like the aggressiveness. Who knew that would be their last chance at a run?

Hilarious at the end of the 6th(?), when a strike 'em out throw 'em out on a check swing resulted in a DP and no one on the Twins realized there were three outs. Like little league -- "c'mon to the dugout boys, the inning is over".

#24 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,755 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:59 AM

Hilarious at the end of the 6th(?), when a strike 'em out throw 'em out on a check swing resulted in a DP and no one on the Twins realized there were three outs. Like little league -- "c'mon to the dugout boys, the inning is over".

Or were they just standing around in case there was a replay review?
  • Jerr likes this

#25 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:25 AM

Since the other thread got locked for some reason Laudner is the worst color commentator I’ve heard. He has to be gone. Good news is that Smeltzer and Thorpe look like two potential effective lefties for the future

Sadly, I agree - worst color commentator I've heard in the Twins booth in a long time. Maybe when pickings are slim, the Twins should just bring in Smalley again. Roy seems to be on the "B Team" of color guys but he can fill in well.

Speaking of filling in, the Twins need someone to step up. I think with Mejia, there's nothing more they can do with him and he'll be placed on waivers. I just don't know how you keep him on the active roster when you bring in other arms to help out.

I'm both thrilled to be up 5.5 games on the Indians and also disappointed to be up 5.5 games on the Indians. Anyone else kinda torn on how to feel about this team right now? I think they basically played out of their minds for 2 months and have come back to earth. Cleveland is feasting off Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit and Cincy. And they get Kluber back in a month, right?

• Aichiman and In My La-Z-boy like this

#26 JW24

JW24

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:22 AM

Buxton should be safe 10 of 10 times on that play, because he shouldn't tag up 10 of 10 times.

That was a really, really bad baseball mistake. Really bad, and a mental error which I find difficult to ignore. I'm pretty confident Buxton would agree.

That it cost a game is beside the point, almost. Hopefully that won't ever happen again.

Joey Gallo almost threw a ball into the press box from CF the game before. It took a perfect throw to get Buxton and he delivered. I don't think it was a mental mistake by Buxton; he is at his best when he is aggressive running the bases and creating mayhem. Gallo's throw could have easily hit him and ricocheted into no-man's land and Buxton could have scored on that.

It is obvious in hindsight he shouldn't have tagged, but I think Buxton deserves the benefit of the doubt for putting that pressure on the defense.

One other item of note here; Max Kepler had a terrible series at the plate. Buxton's best chance to score that inning might have been getting himself to third and having the pitcher throw a wild pitch. The fact the Twins only needed 2 runs to win the game yesterday makes Buxton's out at 3rd that much more egregious.

• bighat likes this

#27 USAFChief

USAFChief

• Twins Mods
  • 24,134 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:32 AM

Joey Gallo almost threw a ball into the press box from CF the game before. It took a perfect throw to get Buxton and he delivered. I don't think it was a mental mistake by Buxton; he is at his best when he is aggressive running the bases and creating mayhem. Gallo's throw could have easily hit him and ricocheted into no-man's land and Buxton could have scored on that.

It is obvious in hindsight he shouldn't have tagged, but I think Buxton deserves the benefit of the doubt for putting that pressure on the defense.

One other item of note here; Max Kepler had a terrible series at the plate. Buxton's best chance to score that inning might have been getting himself to third and having the pitcher throw a wild pitch. The fact the Twins only needed 2 runs to win the game yesterday makes Buxton's out at 3rd that much more egregious.

Sorry, but IMO it's not even debatable. It was a terribly bad decision, one that simply isn't done. 

For the record, it didn't take a perfect throw, the play wasn't even particularly close. But that's not important, it would have been the absolute wrong decision even IF he had made it.

Consider this: when is the last time this situation came into play? I bet you haven't seen it in ... forever. That's because nobody makes that mistake. It's something that's completely intuitive, and if not, learned early in a player's baseball career. You simply can't get thrown out in any situation like that, so players don't try it....because it might cost a run, and there's little to be gained anyway.

This was a Baseball-101 level mistake. And I'm absolutely positive Buxton would say the same thing.

• Blake, jkcarew, Aerodeliria and 1 other like this

#28 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:39 AM

One of the Cardinal rules of baseball. Do not make the 1st or 3rd outs at 3rd base. He just didn't need to advance as he can't score on another sac as there are now 2 outs anyway and he can still score on a base hit as he was standing on 2nd? I also get it that most people will say that the Twins just haven't hit in clutch situations very well but even when someone is going good they are going to get out 7 out of 10 times so they need to take advantage of productive out when they can and getting thrown out at 3rd for the last out which nullified Schoops run was really bad. By the way Buxton has overall been doing a fantastic job this year, that was just a bad play that cost the team a win.

So does something like that reduce his WAR? 😀
  • Aerodeliria likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#29 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,392 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:42 AM

error which I find difficult to ignore

Agree.

#30 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:42 AM

There is not much to complain about, it was a baseball game that was tight and could have gone either way. The only real disappointment is Mejia who had a lot to gain by a good outing.

Mejia nibbled too much. Then he got himself in trouble and had to bring it and it got crushed. I would have rather seen him give up a solo shot or two rather than two walks and a three run bomb.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#31 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:54 AM

I have to disagree with the gushing over Buxton's tag-up to 3rd. Unless the centerfielder turns his back on the infield, one should never run on that play because it doesn't give you any significant advantage and if you get thrown out the runner on 3rd doesn't score, so it's a bad play. Buxton's triple was good play and stealing second to get in scoring position was a good play. "Almost driving in Sano" was not a good at bat and the tag-up was a particularly poor decision because it takes a run off the board.

#32 JW24

JW24

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

Consider this: when is the last time this situation came into play? I bet you haven't seen it in ... forever.

It is a situation that only occurs with Buxton's speed, that is a certainty.

I think I am a little more lenient than you in regards to his decision. With the offense struggling a bit as of late, I am ok with Buxton trying to make something happen with his legs.

As for the throw and play itself, it was about as perfect a throw and as close a play as it gets.

Buxton might consider the play a mistake after the fact like we all do. I hope he remains aggressive on the bases. Generally speaking, his speed adds much more than it takes away.

#33 USAFChief

USAFChief

• Twins Mods
  • 24,134 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:00 AM

. I hope he remains aggressive on the bases. Generally speaking, his speed adds much more than it takes away.

Agreed.

And I would be willing to bet he never makes that same mistake again.

• JW24 and In My La-Z-boy like this

#34 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:02 AM

PS-When the play is in front of you, that throw to third is quite easy for nearly any centerfielder to make. That's why no one tags up on that play not even speedsters.
  • USAFChief likes this

#35 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 2,000 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:08 AM

Sorry, but IMO it's not even debatable. It was a terribly bad decision, one that simply isn't done. 

For the record, it didn't take a perfect throw, the play wasn't even particularly close. But that's not important, it would have been the absolute wrong decision even IF he had made it.

Consider this: when is the last time this situation came into play? I bet you haven't seen it in ... forever. That's because nobody makes that mistake. It's something that's completely intuitive, and if not, learned early in a player's baseball career. You simply can't get thrown out in any situation like that, so players don't try it....because it might cost a run, and there's little to be gained anyway.

This was a Baseball-101 level mistake. And I'm absolutely positive Buxton would say the same thing.

How in the world can you say the play wasn't even particularly close?It took a perfect throw to get him on nearly a bang bang play.I am not advocating his decision in that situation, but it was close.  

#36 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

Not that it really matters, but it stinks that Kepler gets tagged with a big negative WPA on that Buxton play, when he actually accomplished what we needed him to accomplish. 

• JW24, Aerodeliria and jz7233 like this

#37 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:14 AM

When I saw it was Mejia that was the pitching change, I was pretty certain we would lose the game. His notorious control problems really don't bode well for such situations. I'd rather experiment with other arms than relying on Mejia until he shows he can help the team. For all intents and purposes, up to this point, he's only hurt the team.

#38 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:14 AM

From a pure do and don't as far as baseball plays go, that wasn't a good play by Buxton. The ball was hit to the left side of center field. He may have thought that Gallo was going to air it out to home plate, but he didn't. That play, looking back on it, cost the Twins a huge run.

Bigger picture though - buckle up. This team needs help NOW. You cannot wait another 2-3 weeks to make move(s). Also - Mejia is garbage. I don't care that he hits 95 MPH on his fastball...his command stinks, he stuff doesn't impress, and he just isn't good. He needs to go.

#39 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:16 AM

If there is one player the Twins need on the field its Eddie Rosario. Hopefully he is back at 100% post All Star. The rest of July's schedule is favorable and, despite losing this game when it was there to be had, Twins did win the series. Don't look now but the Central is now the closest race with Cleveland now only 5.5 out and I think that is good. Twins should not be able to coast to the playoffs although it looked like they might be able to. I remember 2010 when the slide that lasted nearly a decade actually started with about 30 games left in the 2010 season even though they easily won the Central that year.

#40 Bavarian

Bavarian

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, no regrets on the Buxton play.I appreciate the aggressiveness.And as you eluded to, it took a super-human perfect throw to get him.8-9 times out of 10, a wild throw or late throw on that play.Use his wheels to create opportunities.

This team needs to find ways to score in tight situations.Bunting included.Manufacturing runs is a good way to pull out these extra inning affairs.A lot of zeroes in these games.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: devin smeltzer, trevor may, ryne harper, miguel sano, byron buxton