Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2019 Midseason Top 40 Prospects: Recap

royce lewis alex kirilloff brusdar graterol jordan balazovic brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

For all of the flak that Nick Gordon gets for his production especially compared to other middle infielders in the system and his draft spot his production this season as a 23 year old in AAA has actually been pretty solid:

Current numbers projected over 162 game sample:

.291/.335/.790

124 runs - 65 2Bs - 9 3Bs - 9 HRs (81 total XBHs) - 97 RBIs - 35 SBs
__________________________________________________________________________________

If he keeps this up, with the way Baldelli likes to rest players and projecting some regression for Arraez, I'd be really interested in sort of platooning Gordon and Arraez in the MLB and having the main MI rotation be Polanco/Gordon/Arraez.

That's not a bad line from Gordon, especially after last year, but you have to account for the IL offensive environment this year. The whole league has a .343 OBP, and a .793 OPS. (For comparison, the last time MLB non-pitchers hit that well was 2000, the original height of the sillyball era. Only at .326 and .766 this year, even with all the dingers.)

Fangraphs rates Gordon's performance as a 97 wRC+, so just a hair below the IL average. Again, not bad, but nothing I am too eager to see against MLB pitching either.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#42 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,534 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

That's not a bad line from Gordon, especially after last year, but you have to account for the IL offensive environment this year. The whole league has a .343 OBP, and a .793 OPS. (For comparison, the last time MLB non-pitchers hit that well was 2000, the original height of the sillyball era. Only at .326 and .766 this year, even with all the dingers.)

Fangraphs rates Gordon's performance as a 97 wRC+, so just a hair below the IL average. Again, not bad, but nothing I am too eager to see against MLB pitching either.

As a short stop......97 wrc+ in the majors is median for a SS. And for a 2B. Not saying he could do that, but if he stayed around 95, he'd be median to just worse than that for a SS, and median for a 2B (SS are hitting better than 2B this year). 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#43 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:21 PM

As a short stop......97 wrc+ in the majors is median for a SS. And for a 2B. Not saying he could do that, but if he stayed around 95, he'd be median to just worse than that for a SS, and median for a 2B (SS are hitting better than 2B this year).

Sure. I mean, it is pretty much league average, by definition.

#44 willmarmn

willmarmn

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:35 PM

Any thoughts that Cody Stashak who seems to be the most effective reliever at AAA Rochester might deserve consideration in the top 40?  Having a very good year between Pensacola and Rochester, very few walks goodWHIP.  Possibly soon with the Twins to replace Minor??  

#45 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,879 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:50 AM

I'm glad you asked :) :

http://twinsdaily.co...pensacola-r7962

Thanks Steve. I was kind of hoping it was pitch recognition. There are guys who can get by with lacl of pitch recognition at the MiLB level and then don't do so well at the MLB level. I hope he is one they refuse to let go unless its for pitching with control beyond 2019. 

• Steve Lein likes this

#46 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:35 AM

The only counter I would have in that is that a lot of that production increase is coming from all of the HRs.Gordon does not hit many HRs so he is disadvantaged compared to other hitters in terms of that production increase being reflected in statistics.

Guys who are hitting a lot of HRs who didn't before might have some question marks on how much that power will translate depending on the power profile.I would think that guys succeeding with a line drive/gap type approach would translate pretty naturally compared to the other profile even with the ball changes and silly-ball offense going on down there.

Might not be true, but that's the only counter I would throw out.

#47 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:39 AM

Thanks Steve. I was kind of hoping it was pitch recognition. There are guys who can get by with lacl of pitch recognition at the MiLB level and then don't do so well at the MLB level. I hope he is one they refuse to let go unless its for pitching with control beyond 2019. 

Not to throw rain on the parade, but his plate skills have severely regressed at AAA.He's got a tiny walk rate and a K rate near 30%.He's basically like Buxton in previous years in terms of his BB/K% profile.Further, his power numbers are buoyed off a 50+% Flyball to HR ratio and his BABIP is 40-50 points higher than at any other point in his minor league career.  

He doesn't hit that many flyballs, strikes out a ton, doesn't walk and his power numbers are being buoyed by an unsustainable number of flyballs going over the fence and BABIP. 

His AA profile is better, but everything about his AAA profile screams fluke.If we can get value for him and a team is interested, my opinion would be that we should jump at it.

#48 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

The only counter I would have in that is that a lot of that production increase is coming from all of the HRs. Gordon does not hit many HRs so he is disadvantaged compared to other hitters in terms of that production increase being reflected in statistics.

Guys who are hitting a lot of HRs who didn't before might have some question marks on how much that power will translate depending on the power profile. I would think that guys succeeding with a line drive/gap type approach would translate pretty naturally compared to the other profile even with the ball changes and silly-ball offense going on down there.

Might not be true, but that's the only counter I would throw out.

Yeah, it is a lot of HR, but those HR aren't hit in a vacuum. So Gordon may be getting benefits on some of his doubles too. And he may get more indirect benefits as well -- maybe he sees more pitches to hit, to square up some if those doubles to the gap, with more likely HR hitters behind him.

#49 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:03 AM

I definitely do not disagree.I just think it's easier for the non-power/3 true outcomes (XBH, BB, K) guys to get left out with the changes favoring that style.It seems like Gordon has been able to keep up, at a relatively young age for AAA, and really in his first full season at AAA.I think it's promising and suggests that he could have a role in the majors with his speed and contact skills if they play.

#50 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,879 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:42 AM

Not to throw rain on the parade, but his plate skills have severely regressed at AAA.He's got a tiny walk rate and a K rate near 30%.He's basically like Buxton in previous years in terms of his BB/K% profile.Further, his power numbers are buoyed off a 50+% Flyball to HR ratio and his BABIP is 40-50 points higher than at any other point in his minor league career.  

He doesn't hit that many flyballs, strikes out a ton, doesn't walk and his power numbers are being buoyed by an unsustainable number of flyballs going over the fence and BABIP. 

His AA profile is better, but everything about his AAA profile screams fluke.If we can get value for him and a team is interested, my opinion would be that we should jump at it.

Go ahead and make it rain. Let's not forecast sunny skies if a storm is on the horizon. His numbers were good in AA but now they are incredible at AAA. His performance at lower levels did not indicate a high ceiling. I think we are all trying to figure out if he has figured something out that makes him capable of being a long-term asset at the ML level. 

• Steve Lein likes this

#51 darin617

darin617

• 1,400 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:57 PM

So where did Randy Dobnak rank outside of the top 40?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, alex kirilloff, brusdar graterol, jordan balazovic, brent rooker