Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2019 Midseason Top 40 Prospects: Recap

royce lewis alex kirilloff brusdar graterol jordan balazovic brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

A ninth-rounder from 2002 is a benchmark for anything?

I literally did not remember the name. He wasn't touted, was he?

If you're doing some kind of RandBall's Stu satire, ya got me.

Oh, Deeds was a thing, but I prolly should have referenced David Winfree instead to refute the notion of salad days of the past compared to this list. Winfree checked in at #7 on Seth's list in 2007. And probably earned his spot! On second thought, maybe Trent Oeltjen at #9 and Winnie should have swapped spots.;)

Edited by birdwatcher, 03 July 2019 - 03:03 PM.

• big dog and DocBauer like this

#22 markos

markos

• 1,401 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:02 PM

Had some time this afternoon to put together a quick top-20 list. Probably didn't think this through enough, but here goes:

1. Lewis
2. Kirilloff
3. Rortvedt
4. Balazovic
5. Graterol
6. Larnach
7. Thorpe
8. Jeffers
9. Arraez
10. Cavaco
11. Rooker
12. Duran
13. Gordon
14. Marciel
15. Javier
16. Alcala
17. Baddoo
18. Enlow
19. Wade
20. Miranda

• Mike Sixel and caninatl04 like this

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,788 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:13 PM

Geez, how old are you, ten?;)

Heck, I remember a time when Doug Deeds made the top 10 and the best we could do was WISH he was abysmal due to injury.

The experts did not put Deedsin a top 10 http://www.startribu...ists/111022994/

#24 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 933 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

The experts did not put Deeds in a top 10 http://www.startribu...ists/111022994/

Oh man I remember really think Alexander Smit would be special. And was intrigued by Juan Portes. A few of the other guys I don’t remember. Brings me back though
  • birdwatcher likes this

#25 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,584 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:47 PM

The TD staff has put together a fine list. The prospect depth is remarkable.

For me, the most surprising story of the first half has been the AAA prospects.

• The 40th prospect, Sean Poppen, has two major league pitches. He'll get plenty of MLB chances as a RP before his career is over.
  • JDavis is having a breakout type of year for a lower-ranked prospect. He could be a viable backup OF next season. He could be AAAA too, but his outlook is a lot brighter than it was in April.
  • Littell can throw 96 out of the bullpen. Didn't see that coming.
  • Arraez could end up an everyday 2B before his career is done (50 FV).
  • Thorpe looked good in his first start. Not a lot of power but he can pitch.
  • Rooker has scary power and he's getting to it.
That's a lot of positive results from what is arguably the weakest part of the Twins system.

Funny how some old, largely forgotten, names of some past prospects have been brought up. But in all seriousness, and no slight meant to anyone, there are guys like David in the 30 range that would have been top 10-15 just a few years ago.

Then you look at a guy like Poppen, who it could be argued is too low, having a fine season and flashed some legitimate MLB stuff in his cup of coffee at the bottom of the list!

Two other things that strike me are:

1] Despite graduating so much talent to the Twins the past 3-4 seasons, the system is not only NOT depleted, but even deeper and stronger.

2] Interesting how many guys on this list have been added just in the past couple of years. Not only that, with juries still out of course, several acquired via trade.

Absolutely ammunition for the future of the Twins, but ammo for decent trade options as well. And we sure cant keep them all.
  • Dman and dbminn like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,584 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:52 PM

Oh, Deeds was a thing, but I prolly should have referenced David Winfree instead to refute the notion of salad days of the past compared to this list. Winfree checked in at #7 on Seth's list in 2007. And probably earned his spot! On second thought, maybe Trent Oeltjen at #9 and Winnie should have swapped spots. ;)

Wow, I had forgotten both those names. Thought Winfree would hit his way on to the club and maybe develop a little more power. Wasn't Oeltjen comparable to Rich Becker? The memory sometimes fades.
  • birdwatcher likes this

--Lou Brown

#27 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,584 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:57 PM

Maybe it's bad memory/cluttered head or personal optimism/hyperbole, but I don't remember this many good arms in the system since the early and mid 80's. [Yes I'm dating myself some]. Not to bring up bad memories, but back then we had Bumgarner, Gasser, Nivens, Sontag, Banks, Newman and Pittman.

Names ring a bell?

NOT trying to lay down a curse, as pretty much all those guys flamed out for various reasons, but the depth of good looking arms in the system is the best I have seen in 30 years!
  • Dman likes this

--Lou Brown

#28 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:51 AM

Wow, I had forgotten both those names. Thought Winfree would hit his way on to the club and maybe develop a little more power. Wasn't Oeltjen comparable to Rich Becker? The memory sometimes fades.

Yeah, I get a kick out of looking back at the names.

My original "Deeds" response was mostly meant to inject some fun nostalgia into things, but secondarily to question any thoughts of a time where Kubel, Bartlett, Baker, Crain, et al could be thought of as the "salad days" of the system.

There may be an equal number of flame-outs on this 2019 list as we can count on lists from 2005-6-7, but the difference is where comparable names show up in the rankings.

To illustrate a point, let's theoretically equate some names:

Garrett Jones, our 5th best prospect in 2005? Was he that much of a better prospect than 2019's #39 guy Zander Wiel?

Alex Romero at #7 in 2006. Higher ceiling than #26 Celestino?

#7 David Winfree versus #35 Jaylin Davis?

#9 Trent Oeltjen compared to #36 Gabriel Maciel?

#20 Juan Portes and #27 Luke Raley?

2019 may or may not be the salad days, I don't know, but two things seem evident to me. The first is that even if all the 2019 guys listed above fail, a better prospect is occupying the slots at #5, #7, #9, and #20 here in 2019. And second, I'm quite confident that the NEXT 40 names we could mention here in 2019 are more promising than what we'd be looking at in a similar list of names from 2007.

Oh, and Doug Deeds? If you go out to B-Ref and read his Wiki profile, you'll see that Seth had him on the radar for good reason. It's also instructive, because we tend to get overly excited with stats like what Deeds put up. 

It really is an impressively deep system.

• DocBauer likes this

#29 Faucet

Faucet

Elizabethton Twins

• 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:42 AM

Are we really going to ignore the fact that Jaylin Davis might be the best OF prospect among the group?

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#30 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

First, thank you all for the time and thought you put into this list.

Yes, there is zero doubt that the Twins have the best A+ and below minor league system.Arguably, the best AA and below system.

But, I think, and this very moment, we are looking at the apex of the system for the foreseeable future.I think we all expect to lose 2 or 3 top prospects between now nd July 31st.And (hopefully) The Twins will not have high draft picks over the next few years.

So, let's put this Top 30 in the vault.

#31 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,455 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

Yeah this... This system is scary deep.. It's also why I'm looking forward to the deadline. The team broke out at the right time b/c there's going to be a lot of guys needing to hit the 40 man over the next season or two... May as well trade some of them and get some upgrades on the 25 man. 

Screen Shot 2019 07 10 At 7.18.04 PM

• jkcarew likes this

Is it 2020 yet?

#32 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,718 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:28 PM

Kirilloff and Lewis are both heating up. Their early season struggles may have timed out well after all. If they end up hitting in the 2nd half more similarly to what they did last year, they'll probably get their one-level promotion, which based on how the MLB team is rostered, was probably going to be the case even had they been hitting well in the 1st half as well.

Which means less frustration from us about not seeing them in the majors already, since it was never going to happen anyway!

#33 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 06:24 PM

First, thank you all for the time and thought you put into this list.

Yes, there is zero doubt that the Twins have the best A+ and below minor league system.Arguably, the best AA and below system.

But, I think, and this very moment, we are looking at the apex of the system for the foreseeable future.I think we all expect to lose 2 or 3 top prospects between now nd July 31st.And (hopefully) The Twins will not have high draft picks over the next few years.

So, let's put this Top 30 in the vault.

I'm very much concerned that you're correct. One of the things that concerns me is the abysmal record in the DSL. They have concentrated investments there, in Javier and Urbina, maybe hoping others will slip past the competition. But Im wondering, like with everything else, the playing field doesn't let one team out-scout or out-hustle like it used to.

I theorize that the only real chance one team has to be sustainably superior to anyone else now wrests in an ability to be an opportunistic horse-trader.

#34 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:47 AM

Oh man I remember really think Alexander Smit would be special. And was intrigued by Juan Portes. A few of the other guys I don’t remember. Brings me back though

I love looking back at that kind of stuff. I did a few Q&As with Alex Smit when he was in the low minors. He was one of the first from The Netherlands. 

And Portes was an interesting prospect. He could hit. No position, but he could hit. 

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:47 AM

Are we really going to ignore the fact that Jaylin Davis might be the best OF prospect among the group?

Man is he crushing the ball in Rochester!! Very impressive!

• tarheeltwinsfan and Faucet like this

#36 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 578 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

Cody Stashak and Wynston Sawyer are both pretty good. 

Edited by jz7233, 15 July 2019 - 01:06 PM.

#37 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 234 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:12 PM

For all of the flak that Nick Gordon gets for his production especially compared to other middle infielders in the system and his draft spot his production this season as a 23 year old in AAA has actually been pretty solid:

Current numbers projected over 162 game sample:

.291/.335/.790

124 runs -65 2Bs - 9 3Bs - 9 HRs (81 total XBHs) - 97 RBIs - 35 SBs

__________________________________________________________________________________

If he keeps this up, with the way Baldelli likes to rest players and projecting some regression for Arraez, I'd be really interested in sort of platooning Gordon and Arraez in the MLB and having the main MI rotation be Polanco/Gordon/Arraez.

• Mike Sixel and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#38 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,864 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

He sure caught my attention this season, especially after bumping up to AAA. What changed? He has never shown this kind of offensive production prior to this year. We need another RH OFer. Is this an opportunity to sell high or his he a guy that should be a priority to keep. I would love to know if there is something specific that clicked and what the Twin's brass believes is his future.

Edited by Major League Ready, 15 July 2019 - 02:52 PM.

• Steve Lein, birdwatcher, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#39 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

He sure caught my attention this season, especially after bumping up to AAA. What changed? He has never shown this kind of offensive production prior to this year. We need another RH OFer. Is this an opportunity to sell high or his he a guy that should be a priority to keep. I would love to know if there is something specific that clicked and what the Twin's brass believes is his future.

I'm glad you asked :) :

http://twinsdaily.co...pensacola-r7962

• birdwatcher likes this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#40 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,707 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:51 PM

For all of the flak that Nick Gordon gets for his production especially compared to other middle infielders in the system and his draft spot his production this season as a 23 year old in AAA has actually been pretty solid:

Current numbers projected over 162 game sample:

.291/.335/.790

124 runs - 65 2Bs - 9 3Bs - 9 HRs (81 total XBHs) - 97 RBIs - 35 SBs
__________________________________________________________________________________

If he keeps this up, with the way Baldelli likes to rest players and projecting some regression for Arraez, I'd be really interested in sort of platooning Gordon and Arraez in the MLB and having the main MI rotation be Polanco/Gordon/Arraez.

His ability to put up first half numbers has never been a problem. I want to see how he does in the second half.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, alex kirilloff, brusdar graterol, jordan balazovic, brent rooker