Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: 2019 Twins Midseason Top Prospect List: 1-5

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:17 AM

I was hoping for some good numbers from Javier. The Twins have an abundance of stars in the middle infield. And the recent Top Pick should pass Javier fast. Nick Gordon is also a man without a job in the future, or so it kight seem. 

We are loooking at two future outfielders, so the Twins don't have a need to throw BIG money at Rosario and Buxton, if push comes to shove. But if they can sign either to modest contracts, you have tradebait. Remember, Rooker is still in the outfield mix, too.

You love hard throwing arms. Not jsut for the rotation, but possibly for the bullpen. But they need to develop. The future looks bright for the Twins filling the roster with prospects. Are there $100 million dollar players, that is the question.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#22 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:31 AM

Southern League numbers

Graterol: 1.89 ERA, 24.3 K%, 13.0 SwStr% (47.2 IP)

Sanchez: 2.77 ERA, 25.4 K%, 10.7 SwStr% (52.0 IP)

MLB Pipeline has Sanchez at No. 22 overall while Graterol is No. 50. They have Ian Anderson at No. 26. Keep in mind that he's 21 and had a four-game cameo in Double A last year, but here are his Southern League numbers:

Anderson: 2.94 ERA, 31.4 K%, 12.1 SwStr%

The Tigers have No. 2 overall prospect Casey Mize, who's 22, and No. 32 Matt Manning, 21, in Double-A's Eastern League:

Mize: 1.21 ERA, 25.1 K%, 14.0 SwStr% (52.0 IP)

Manning: 2.60 ERA, 29.4 K%, 13.2 SwStr% (86.2 IP)

I think Graterol stands up pretty well against all these guys.

Agree he seems to be ok with the the K/SwStr numbers for now.

It's the innings pitched number where he doesn't stack up so well (even relative to minor league/prospect starter standards)....and that's a mighty important number for starting prospects. At best, Graterol appears to be quite a ways away from showing ability or readiness for a major-league starter workload. Is it just me, or does anyone else see the parallels with Fernando Romero? Short, right-handed power pitchers who struggled in the minors to log innings and finish seasons. Graterol is a little further along at the same age as was Romero, but still, it sure seems he's trending towards reliever.

Edited by jkcarew, 04 July 2019 - 10:32 AM.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and Vanimal46 like this

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

Agree he seems to be ok with the the K/SwStr numbers for now.

It's the innings pitched number where he doesn't stack up so well (even relative to minor league/prospect starter standards)....and that's a mighty important number for starting prospects. At best, Graterol appears to be quite a ways away from showing ability or readiness for a major-league starter workload. Is it just me, or does anyone else see the parallels with Fernando Romero? Short, right-handed power pitchers who struggled in the minors to log innings and finish seasons. Graterol is a little further along at the same age as was Romero, but still, it sure seems he's trending towards reliever.

I think this is pretty spot on.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#24 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:33 AM

Touch the body of the post that you wish to quote, and at the bottom of the post (so maybe you'll have to scroll down) there will be some buttons among which one is "Quote". Touch the body of the post again, to make the buttons go away. Or, at least, that's how it is on my Android phone.

It works!
  • Carole Keller and ashbury like this