Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Lewin Diaz 2019 Highlights

lewin diaz
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:20 PM

Hi everybody! Here are some highlights of Lewin Diaz from this season. After posting an .866 OPS in 57 games for Fort Myers, Diaz now has a .957 OPS in his first 11 games for Pensacola. Included in this three-minute package is his three-homer game with the Miracle and an impressive performance he had against Sixto Sanchez, who MLB Pipeline ranks as the No. 22 prospect in all of baseball right now.

• Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking, dgwills and 2 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,740 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

The Twins stuck with Diaz all these years as an underperforming prospect. Been kind of a "mystery man." The analysts haven't exactly rushed to raise his rankings with his new found power and acumen at the plate, though.

Are the Twins alot higher on Diaz than the so-called "experts."

• Dman likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#3 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:53 PM

If he continues to rake in AA, they are forced to roster him or trade him, no?

#4 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:06 PM

If he continues to rake in AA, they are forced to roster him or trade him, no?

Kinda, but at the end of the year. He's Rule 5 eligible (again) and rosters are expanding to 26 for next season. I'd imagine if he continues to play well over these final two months of the minor league season and the Twins do not add him to the 40-man roster, somebody would take him.

• Dman and jkcarew like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#5 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:13 PM

The Twins stuck with Diaz all these years as an underperforming prospect. Been kind of a "mystery man." The analysts haven't exactly rushed to raise his rankings with his new found power and acumen at the plate, though.

Are the Twins alot higher on Diaz than the so-called "experts."

I'd say most of the experts were higher on Diaz than most any of the commenters around here for a long time while his performance was pretty meh.Given that he's passed through 2 rule 5 drafts I'd say it's more that other teams haven't been interested in him than the Twins org has been high on him.

There haven't been too many midseason updates yet.Fangraphs is the only national publication that I know has updated their lists, and they've explicitly stated that they've just focused on the top 100 or so types, and the rest of the updates will come incrementally.I think he'll return to prospect status after this year, though I'm curious to see how bullish the rankings will be.

I doesn't seem that anything has really changed about his profile, he's just hitting the ball really hard this year.He's never struck out in more than 20% of his plate appearances exceptin a small rookieball sample (and he's just slightly over in his initial AA sample).He still doesn't walk much, but the experts have always told us that he had tons of power potential, we just never saw more than glimpses of that until this year.And now we're seeing it all at once.It's great to see him finding that power without any change to his contact rates.I'm back on board the Lewin bandwagon.

• Dman likes this

#6 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

I know people don't like to give up too much in a trade, but it seems the Twins are in a position to slightly overpay to get what they want.  

Overypay for trades now, or just get picked over in the Rule 5 later.

On the other hand, do players like Diaz fit as an attractive part 2 of a package? The acquiring team will know that one of their 40-man spots just got consumed.

• ashbury and nicksaviking like this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:23 PM

On the other hand, do players like Diaz fit as an attractive part 2 of a package? The acquiring team will know that one of their 40-man spots just got consumed.

But with the excess of Rule V possibilities, It might not actually be the Diaz type that the team is dangling. Maybe it's say a soon to be added Rooker or already added Gordon, and the consolation prize for losing them is now having room to roster Diaz.

But that's not to say Diaz would have to be the 2nd most attractive part of a package. I'm sure plenty of crappy teams would be more than happy to find room for him on their 40-man even if he's piece #3 or #4.

• jkcarew and MMMordabito like this

#8 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

I'd say most of the experts were higher on Diaz than most any of the commenters around here for a long time while his performance was pretty meh.Given that he's passed through 2 rule 5 drafts I'd say it's more that other teams haven't been interested in him than the Twins org has been high on him.

FWIW, the ridiculous situation with international players being rule 5 eligible after their age 20 season means that it's not necessarily the case that other scouts don't see much...it just means you aren't going to put a guy on your 25-man roster when he's 20 and hasn't cleared A ball.

I agree with Tom above. If Diaz finishes this season strong, he's a major risk to go (if not rostered) in rule 5 this time around, especially to a rebuilding American League team. To me, if the Twins don't think he's in their plans by 2021 (maybe he is)...it'd make some sense to see if he brings value to trade packages leading up to the deadline.

#9 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:27 PM

But with the excess of Rule V possibilities, It might not actually be the Diaz type that the team is dangling. Maybe it's say a soon to be added Rooker or already added Gordon, and the consolation prize for losing them is now having room to roster Diaz.

But that's not to say Diaz would have to be the 2nd most attractive part of a package. I'm sure plenty of crappy teams would be more than happy to find room for him on their 40-man even if he's piece #3 or #4.

Agreed. No matter how you cut it, Diaz's season is good news for him, and good news for the Twins.

• operation mindcrime likes this

#10 High heat

High heat

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 04:02 PM

I really like Diaz, I don’t think he has as much trade value as Rooker but think his hit tools will translate to the MLB much better. I’d trade Rooker who strikes out at a much higher rate but has more power at the moment and more defensive versatility. I don’t believe Rooker translates the the majors.

Reports are Diaz defense at 1B has improved which adds segnificant value. He hasn’t used any options, and appears to still have some developing to do. Worried that he starts his hands low and doesn’t always get them back up in his load. Which would make him extremely vulnerable to the high fastball and make him cheat to the heat and miss the breaking ball down. (Think Oswaldo Arcia)

I like Diaz think he can be a very good left handed bat. Still has some developing to do but like that he isn’t currently on the 40 man but crushing in AA. Hope the Twins move either Rooker and/or Diaz in a deal. Value for both won’t get much higher. I’d rather keep Diaz because I think he has some developing left to do and isn’t taking up a 40 man spot yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lewin diaz