Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

FA this offseason

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

By now, most people on this site should have heard about TR saying that the pitching market "wasn't particularly deep this offseason." Now, looking at the list of FA, it is actually probably the strongest area in FA this offseason. I mean, the biggest names in FA that aren't pitchers are probably Napoli, Hamilton, Swisher, and LaRoche. That's it (in my opinion). Seriously. While Hamilton and Napoli are sure to get attention (especially Hamilton), I just don't see there being much drama outside of the pitching market.

I would love to debate about who you think will be the biggest names to come onto the market this offseason.

#2 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Um, I'd rather have Michael Bourn or BJ Upton than anyone not named Hamilton that's an offensive free agent this year.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#3 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

Any reason for that? Hamilton, while he will always have concerns surrounding his background, has proven that he can have years like this year and should for several years to come.

#4 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Um, I'd rather have Michael Bourn or BJ Upton than anyone not named Hamilton that's an offensive free agent this year.

I'd rather have Bourn or Upton than Hamilton. Hamilton = Much, much more money, substantial risk and possible franchise destroyer, which = Not worth the gamble.

#5 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Any reason for that? Hamilton, while he will always have concerns surrounding his background, has proven that he can have years like this year and should for several years to come.

I said anyone NOT named Hamilton. If money was no object, I'd want (in order) Hamilton, Bourn, and Upton as my top 3 position player free agents.

#6 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'd rather have Bourn or Upton than Hamilton. Hamilton = Much, much more money, substantial risk and possible franchise destroyer, which = Not worth the gamble.

I can understand that, but I doubt either Upton or Bourn goes for less than $15M per.

#7 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, i totally understand the risk with Hamilton. Honestly, that is his biggest knock right now. Out of all the free agents this year, he is probably the most volatile.

In regards to Upton, there is a reason why the Rays don't think they will be able to bring him back (he's gettin expensive!)

I, to be perfectly honest, don't know much about Bourn, but I think that if he is being mentioned in the same sentence as people who are worth $15 million, he must be pretty good.

#8 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

[quote name='biggentleben'][quote name='Zodiac'][quote name='biggentleben']Um, I'd rather have Michael Bourn or BJ Upton than anyone not named Hamilton that's an offensive free agent this year.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have Bourn or Upton than Hamilton. Hamilton = Much, much more money, substantial risk and possible franchise destroyer, which = Not worth the gamble.[/QUOTE]

I can understand that, but I doubt either Upton or Bourn goes for less than $15M per.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to say your wrong, but unfortunately you are most probably correct. Neither one of those guys are worth that kind of dough per season. What do you think Hamilton gets on the market? My guess is 22M per, for 5 years with some team option years. That's my guess, not what I would offer.

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

Bourn is arguably the best defensive center fielder in the game. On any team but Atlanta, he's a guaranteed 50+ steals and he hits for solid average. The biggest knock on him this year was his heightened strikeout rate.

Regarding Hamilton's contract, I'd wager he's going for 5 years, 105-130 million. And that does not include the 4 paid staff members that he requires the team he goes to to employ for him in order to keep him in check.

#10 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Bourn is arguably the best defensive center fielder in the game. On any team but Atlanta, he's a guaranteed 50+ steals and he hits for solid average. The biggest knock on him this year was his heightened strikeout rate.

Regarding Hamilton's contract, I'd wager he's going for 5 years, 105-130 million. And that does not include the 4 paid staff members that he requires the team he goes to to employ for him in order to keep him in check.

Rangers fans seem ready to turn on him for his lackadaisical play as of late. He's getting booed after ground outs now.