Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Ryan removes "Interim" label from his title

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

In no surprise, Twins Interim GM Terry Ryan announced that he has removed the "Interim" tag from his job title.

#2 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Down go the "Fire Interim GM Terry Ryan" arguments. From now on it will be "Fire GM Terry Ryan".

Let the complaining about lack of organizational direction change commence!

#3 gilesferrell

gilesferrell

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Really? We want Ryan to be fired? He has been back for one year. Did you expect the ship to be turned fully around in 365 days?
"They are the team Minnesota deserves, not the one they need right now."

#4 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Less than a year, actually. They fired Smith a month into the offseason last year.

#5 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Ryan's got a pretty sweet gig if he can give himself a promotion like that.

#6 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Great! Nothing better than having a GM and scouting staff that cant draft or develop. This will not end well!

Why wasnt he fired? He failed to cash in any vets for prospects this system needs. He also gave up a pick for Capps again ignoring the farm system. The game sadly has passed him by and we Twins fans will pay the price.

#7 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Really? We want Ryan to be fired? He has been back for one year. Did you expect the ship to be turned fully around in 365 days?

365 days? Some of these guys were talking about it after 6 months....or less, very reasonable.

#8 gilesferrell

gilesferrell

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

365 days? Some of these guys were talking about it after 6 months....or less, very reasonable.

I just can't understand how some people think. I guess people forgot how good Terry Ryan was in his first stint as GM. You got to have patience with this.
"They are the team Minnesota deserves, not the one they need right now."

#9 Lesser Dali

Lesser Dali

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Ryan's got a pretty sweet gig if he can give himself a promotion like that.

It seems kind of strange that Terry Ryan has Jerry Jones like control without being the owner. Maybe Ryan has some Dirt on the Pohlads.

My guess is that he is physically abusive to Jim Pohlad and has him under his thumb. Who knows, Jim Pohlad might want to be a big spender, but Terry Ryan has stifled his desire by intimidation and physical violence.

Maybe Ryan is the recipient of the extra pesos the Twins bring in with the new stadium. If this is the case, I hope he spends it on making snuff films, mink coats, and collecting Peter K├╝rten memorabilia.

#10 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

[quote name='gilesferrell'][quote name='twinsnorth49'][quote name='gilesferrell']Really? We want Ryan to be fired? He has been back for one year. Did you expect the ship to be turned fully around in 365 days?[/QUOTE]

365 days? Some of these guys were talking about it after 6 months....or less, very reasonable.[/QUOTE]

I just can't understand how some people think. I guess people forgot how good Terry Ryan was in his first stint as GM. You got to have patience with this.[/QUOTE]

I see you are new here. Welcome. To help you out, you need to know this site has two types of people:
- People who believe that the Twins need to fire everybody, trade everybody, and spend tons of money on FA
- Me and 11 other people who don't believe in kneejerk reactions.

Best of luck!

#11 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Great! Nothing better than having a GM and scouting staff that cant draft or develop. This will not end well!

Why wasnt he fired? He failed to cash in any vets for prospects this system needs. He also gave up a pick for Capps again ignoring the farm system. The game sadly has passed him by and we Twins fans will pay the price.

I'm pretty sure they were saying the same thing about Billy Beane prior to the start of this season. They had averaged 76 wins the previous 5 seasons (only once finishing at .500). This past off season, he traded away all of his best players and by most accounts, didn't get much in return. I'm pretty sure they are glad that they didn't have some knee-jerk reaction and blow everything up.

If you believe and have faith, things tend to work out.

#12 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

[quote name='Fire Dan Gladden'][quote name='gilesferrell'][quote name='twinsnorth49'][quote name='gilesferrell']Really? We want Ryan to be fired? He has been back for one year. Did you expect the ship to be turned fully around in 365 days?[/QUOTE]

365 days? Some of these guys were talking about it after 6 months....or less, very reasonable.[/QUOTE]

I just can't understand how some people think. I guess people forgot how good Terry Ryan was in his first stint as GM. You got to have patience with this.[/QUOTE]

I see you are new here. Welcome. To help you out, you need to know this site has two types of people:
- People who believe that the Twins need to fire everybody, trade everybody, and spend tons of money on FA
- Me and 11 other people who don't believe in kneejerk reactions.

Best of luck![/QUOTE]It's more like there are eleven people calling for the heads of management and the majority are pretty reasonable. The knee-jerkers just whine the loudest; which is a problem on message boards of all types.

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,308 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

I guess people forgot how good Terry Ryan was in his first stint as GM. You got to have patience with this.

I think that most people forgot how bad also was Terry Ryan as a GM in his first part of his first stint with the Twins. Ryan was a GM for the Twins from 1994-2006 and in 2012. During that 14 year stint the Twins

Won the division 4 times
finished second 1 time
finished third 1 time
finished fourth 4 times
finished last 4 times

and from those 14 seasons, the Twins have had winning records only 6.
And he was fine with the contraction...
and he undid what McPhail did.

So tell me, as a whole is that "good" or "bad"?
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#14 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

I liked the "interim" tag. It gave me some hope that they still might decided to overhaul this organization and inject new ideas, energy and talent.

We continue with "Back to the Future" and basically no hope that the Twins will ever be interested in doing anything except lining the Pohlad's pockets by being competitive in the Central.

#15 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

I liked the "interim" tag. It gave me some hope that they still might decided to overhaul this organization and inject new ideas, energy and talent.

We continue with "Back to the Future" and basically no hope that the Twins will ever be interested in doing anything except lining the Pohlad's pockets by being competitive in the Central.

Frankly, I think you're on the money here. I'd agree that Terry Ryan's head shouldn't be called for, but this seems like a move that re-instates a status quo when maybe new ideas should probably be being considered.

Edited by Alex, 05 October 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

I guess people forgot how good Terry Ryan was in his first stint as GM. You got to have patience with this.

I think that most people forgot how bad also was Terry Ryan as a GM in his first part of his first stint with the Twins. Ryan was a GM for the Twins from 1994-2006 and in 2012. During that 14 year stint the Twins

Won the division 4 times
finished second 1 time
finished third 1 time
finished fourth 4 times
finished last 4 times

I don't know if it was as whole good or bad, but can you stop with the "knee jerk reactions" already, you're giving me whiplash with all your- unfair-to-the-"pretty reasonable"-crowd, off-the-top-of-your-head- facts....

Edited by jokin, 05 October 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Frankly, I think you're on the money here. I'd agree that Terry Ryan's head shouldn't be called for, but this seems like a move that re-instates a status quo when maybe new ideas should probably be being considered.

Would you two stop all your whining, you guys are clearly the problem on this board. Join the majority of the "pretty reasonable" folks here who keep the faith, don't engage in "knee jerk reactions" and blindly support the Twins to continue the status quo.

#18 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

The status quo should not be acceptable. Ryan and his good ole boys have done a horrific job of drafting and developing. The international signings and being bad enough to get Buxton have saved the position players in the org.

Secondly, for those who think Ryan has such a track record, how many playoff series wins do the Twins have in his reign? They only have 1 more than the lowely Pirates and Royals. Hardly a glowing record especially when you consider the AL Central has been the worst division in baseball over the last 15 years.

15 years ago you could outwork other teams and being "nice guys" gave you a nice advantage. Now you need to outwork, outhink and out-innovate compared to your opponents. There is no way that Terry and his band of old school guys can compete in the new age and they have proved it over the last 10 years.

#19 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

I guess your thoughts on Ryan's ability should hinge on how responsible he was for the awful BS era. the 90's were awful and despite losing in the playoffs the 2000's were very good for a team on a shoestring budget. At that time many wondered what Ryan could do with an adequate budget. He now has a budget to work with and he made two outstanding FA pickups last season.

It might also too early to call the drafting and developing horrific. The horrific years of the draft (2004-2009) include Plouffe, Perkins, Slowey, Garza, Duensing, Parmelee, Hicks, Benson, Revere and Gibson. they made an awful trade with Garza but they still drafted and developed him. It's also worth pointing out that once you get outside of the top the draft is largely hit and miss and that is where the Twins drafted for the entire decade.

#20 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

If the status quo was acceptable no one would have been let go. It takes time to turn an organization around. Unless you have $200 million to spend this will take time. Starting Pitching does not grow on trees.
Look at the draft this year to see how Ryan has adapted to stuff pitchers, rather than pitch to contact. He also seems to have put Gardy on notice that if he feels Gardy is not getting the best of his talent, he will be gone during or after next year. Poland's have a new set of economics, based on information from Ruesse's column in the Star Trib. They need to fill seats and 70 - 80 win seasons will not do it.
Draft in later first round and below is a crapshoot. Ryan seems to have done well last year and we will see how many of these players make the major leagues in the next 3 years. Give this some time.
Remember the grass is not always as green as it seems on the other side of the fence, checkout Kansas City.

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I guess your thoughts on Ryan's ability should hinge on how responsible he was for the awful BS era. the 90's were awful and despite losing in the playoffs the 2000's were very good for a team on a shoestring budget. At that time many wondered what Ryan could do with an adequate budget. He now has a budget to work with and he made two outstanding FA pickups last season.

It might also too early to call the drafting and developing horrific. The horrific years of the draft (2004-2009) include Plouffe, Perkins, Slowey, Garza, Duensing, Parmelee, Hicks, Benson, Revere and Gibson. they made an awful trade with Garza but they still drafted and developed him. It's also worth pointing out that once you get outside of the top the draft is largely hit and miss and that is where the Twins drafted for the entire decade.

Wow, that list is your argument for maintaining the status quo? They ran off Garza, Perkins was basically ready to be run off when he failed to develop as a starter and they stumbled on him as an effective bullpen option with the injury collapses of Nathan and Capps, every other pitcher on this list is:

a has-been who was also run off-
a "I don't know how to use a lefty who can only get out lefties"- and-
a wish, a hope and a prayer that he will ever pan out as anything above a #4-5 starter.

The jury is still out on every single one of the position players you mention, as well- not one "can't-miss" guy among them.

While the two FA pickups worked out, they were replacements for the losses of 4 players- Thome, Cuddyer, Young and Kubel. The two FAs also had career years in 2012, can they do it again or should they have been flipped so that for once, the Twins could be sellers when their value was at its highest?

#22 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

+1.

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

Won the division 4 times
finished second 1 time
finished third 1 time
finished fourth 4 times
finished last 4 times

I guess Thyrlos forgets how bad the Twins were in 1993 with not much in the farm system. Contrasr that with how ell the Twins were doing when Ryan left.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

[quote name='old nurse'][quote name='thrylos98'][quote name='gilesferrell']I guess people forgot how good Terry Ryan was in his first stint as GM. You got to have patience with this.[/QUOTE]

Won the division 4 times
finished second 1 time
finished third 1 time
finished fourth 4 times
finished last 4 times

So tell me, as a whole is that "good" or "bad"?[/QUOTE]

I guess Thyrlos forgets how bad the Twins were in 1993 with not much in the farm system. Contrasr that with how ell the Twins were doing when Ryan left.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't want to let logic get in the way of making a point. Obviously, we should treat Ryan's early years where he inherited a bad team (71 wins in 1993) with the same weight we treat his later years where the Twins were perennial contenders.

Otherwise, it's much harder to make a case that Ryan is a bad GM.

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

+1.

Yep. People who complain incessantly about "horrific" drafts haven't looked at many drafts. The Twins were mediocre, maybe even a smidge of the "bad" side of things. They drafted several prep players that are just starting to join the team in Plouffe, Parmelee, and Revere. They had Garza (ugh), Perkins, and Duensing earlier. Nothing to rave about but far from horrific.

The Cubs and Astros, now those were some horrific drafts.

#26 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

If the status quo was acceptable no one would have been let go. It takes time to turn an organization around. Unless you have $200 million to spend this will take time. Starting Pitching does not grow on trees.
Look at the draft this year to see how Ryan has adapted to stuff pitchers, rather than pitch to contact. He also seems to have put Gardy on notice that if he feels Gardy is not getting the best of his talent, he will be gone during or after next year. Poland's have a new set of economics, based on information from Ruesse's column in the Star Trib. They need to fill seats and 70 - 80 win seasons will not do it.
Draft in later first round and below is a crapshoot. Ryan seems to have done well last year and we will see how many of these players make the major leagues in the next 3 years. Give this some time.
Remember the grass is not always as green as it seems on the other side of the fence, checkout Kansas City.

This is why I was saying he shouldn't be fired, but I'd like to see more of him before crowning him GM for the next decade.

Firing coaches has little to do with the status quo, as they don't really matter one way or another with this team. The status quo I was referring to is their refusal to sign even decent SP, continually trying the same type of player in the MI, refusing to move players of value through two horrible seasons, and, at least at the surface, what seems like an archaic system of player evaluation.

There were some positives, Doumit, Hammer, Burton. The draft strategy looks better but we'll see if it pans out. But there were some big failures and concerns, too: Using ST stats to evaluate players, no significant trades (as mentioned above), moving up players when they clearly weren't ready or no spot for them to play, Marquis, stubbornly sticking with terrible pitchers in the pen when others had at least deserved a look, and comments that seem to indicaten we're in for more of the same.

Edited by Alex, 06 October 2012 - 07:33 AM.

#27 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Wow, that list is your argument for maintaining the status quo? They ran off Garza, Perkins was basically ready to be run off when he failed to develop as a starter and they stumbled on him as an effective bullpen option with the injury collapses of Nathan and Capps, every other pitcher on this list is:

a has-been who was also run off-
a "I don't know how to use a lefty who can only get out lefties"- and-
a wish, a hope and a prayer that he will ever pan out as anything above a #4-5 starter.

The jury is still out on every single one of the position players you mention, as well- not one "can't-miss" guy among them.

While the two FA pickups worked out, they were replacements for the losses of 4 players- Thome, Cuddyer, Young and Kubel. The two FAs also had career years in 2012, can they do it again or should they have been flipped so that for once, the Twins could be sellers when their value was at its highest?

perhaps you missed what I wrote the first time. How much blame should ryan get during BS's time as GM? Absolutely awful decisions were and he was still in the FO but I don't how much control/input he had. I also said it might be too early to tell about the horrific drafting and development the Twins had from '04-'09. I'm guessing you don't really understand what horrific means. They haven't had a lot of success from the draft recently but they are still getting solid ballplayers.

I'm not sure how you can be critical of last year's offseason. they picked up better ballplayers at half the cost and got 3 extra draft picks. I think that is a pretty outstanding job. I'm also not sure I would call them career years. willingham has a .845 career OPS and this year he had a .890 OPS. Doumit had a .777 OPS this year and a .771 career OPS.

Ryan has made bad decisions (Capps definitely) and I'll criticize him but I think you are being ridiculous.

#28 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Yep. People who complain incessantly about "horrific" drafts haven't looked at many drafts. The Twins were mediocre, maybe even a smidge of the "bad" side of things. They drafted several prep players that are just starting to join the team in Plouffe, Parmelee, and Revere. They had Garza (ugh), Perkins, and Duensing earlier. Nothing to rave about but far from horrific.

The Twins have not added a key piece from the minors in six seasons. Horrific is a very fair term.

#29 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

The Twins have not added a key piece from the minors in six seasons. Horrific is a very fair term.

uh...I would say Denard Span is a pretty key piece, and without Ben Revere I'm guessing we would have lost a lot more games the last two years.

And while they may not have been key pieces every year they've been with the team, Blackburn, Slowey, and Perkins have all been critical parts of the team and various times.

No, they haven't had any Mike Trouts or Stephen Strassbergs, but how many teams have?

#30 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

[quote name='spideyo'][quote name='Kobs'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp']Yep. People who complain incessantly about "horrific" drafts haven't looked at many drafts. The Twins were mediocre, maybe even a smidge of the "bad" side of things. They drafted several prep players that are just starting to join the team in Plouffe, Parmelee, and Revere. They had Garza (ugh), Perkins, and Duensing earlier. Nothing to rave about but far from horrific.

The Cubs and Astros, now those were some horrific drafts.[/QUOTE]

The Twins have not added a key piece from the minors in six seasons. Horrific is a very fair term.[/QUOTE]

uh...I would say Denard Span is a pretty key piece, and without Ben Revere I'm guessing we would have lost a lot more games the last two years.

And while they may not have been key pieces every year they've been with the team, Blackburn, Slowey, and Perkins have all been critical parts of the team and various times.

No, they haven't had any Mike Trouts or Stephen Strassbergs, but how many teams have?[/QUOTE]

The Twins wouldn't have lost "a lot" more games without Joe Mauer, much less without a mediocre player like Ben Revere. These players might be the key to a AAA title run; in the majors, they are a group of unremarkable or worse ballplayers. That's why the Twins have lost 195 games in the last two seasons.