Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Craig Kimbrel Tracker

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:23 PM

Better choosing between Kimbrel, Strop, or Cishek than just Strop or Cishek, though.

Still would have Brandon Morrow returning in the second half, along with Brad Brach and Brandon Kintzler even without Kimbrel.

One report this week stated that this put the Cubs over on luxury tax to the point where they will be dropping 10 spots in the draft in 2020. As the Cubs sit third in the NL in record and in a dogfight in their division to even make the playoffs, I'm not sure closer is the position that you gain the impact enough to make that worth it.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:34 PM

Still would have Brandon Morrow returning in the second half, along with Brad Brach and Brandon Kintzler even without Kimbrel.

One report this week stated that this put the Cubs over on luxury tax to the point where they will be dropping 10 spots in the draft in 2020. As the Cubs sit third in the NL in record and in a dogfight in their division to even make the playoffs, I'm not sure closer is the position that you gain the impact enough to make that worth it.

They might not be done adding....and he cost money and 10 spots in the draft (so far). That's less than trading a real prospect, I'd guess.

• Vanimal46 and jkcarew like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#23 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,177 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:18 PM

My Cubs fan friends are going nuts.

You should keep better company :)
  • ashbury, USAFChief, Dantes929 and 1 other like this

#24 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:50 PM

They might not be done adding....and he cost money and 10 spots in the draft (so far). That's less than trading a real prospect, I'd guess.

Based on Fangraphs' pick valuation and prospect valuation articles from Craig Edwards, that'd be $2-5M in value lost, which would equate to a 45+ prospect on their list. Per Fangraphs' list for the Twins, that'd be the equivalent of Wander Javier or Luis Arraez.

....and that's not counting the loss of international money or just the straight salary.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#25 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:21 AM

Based on Fangraphs' pick valuation and prospect valuation articles from Craig Edwards, that'd be $2-5M in value lost, which would equate to a 45+ prospect on their list. Per Fangraphs' list for the Twins, that'd be the equivalent of Wander Javier or Luis Arraez.

....and that's not counting the loss of international money or just the straight salary.

Give them Wander Javier then.

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:55 AM

Link? They are still saving Zobrist money, so every analysis I have read shows them as under that threshold. For example:

https://www.bleedcub...-trade-deadline

Also, they would be fools to count on Morrow for anything at this point, but if he does come back, the same principle applies: better choosing from Kimbrel plus their other relievers, than simply choosing from the other relievers.