Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Craig Kimbrel Tracker

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,194 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:27 PM

Made his Cubs debut yesterday and got the save. Throwing 97 MPH.

We didn't need him.

https://blogs.fangra...s-off-the-rust/
  • jud6312 likes this

#2 shimrod

shimrod

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

Hadn't you heard? Management's still waiting for the window to open. 

• jud6312 and KFEY93 like this

#3 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 28 June 2019 - 02:31 PM

Get over it. I doubt there was ever a chance of him coming to Minnesota regardless of how much money he was offered.
  • brvama, Monkeypaws, Shaitan and 1 other like this

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,194 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:44 PM

Get over it. I doubt there was ever a chance of him coming to Minnesota regardless of how much money he was offered.

Why? Money talks for everyone.
  • jud6312 and KFEY93 like this

#5 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 03:54 PM

Why? Money talks for everyone.

Only in Texas Pardner.

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

Based on Cruz coming here? Or was that not about money? What do you base this on, in the face of years of evidence?
  • jud6312 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#7 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 05:12 PM

If you want to track Kimbrel, track Kimbrel. If you started this thread to stir some in your face stuff, then yes, get over it and move on. If you started this thread to grouse about how the Twins FO doesn’t spend and/or money is the answer to player acquisition, then don’t be so disingenuous and start a thread on that topic, using this as an example of a missed opportunity. But since this is about Kimbrel, keep it to that. The Twins discussion forum is over there ——->

Consider this a warning.
  • ashbury, birdwatcher, nicksaviking and 4 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#8 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:11 PM

That inning was pure crap.

The entire game, the ump called a zone tight on the corners with flexibility up and down in the zone. The crowd gets into Kimbrel coming in, and he missed multiple pitches. Brian McCann was absolutely in his rights to go ballistic when he was called out on strikes on a pitch that not one of his pitchers could get the entire game, which is why I'm sure he was given tremendous latitude to get right in the face of the umpire (who had already thrown out Carlos Gonzalez in the game, so it's not as if he was holding back on throwing out players that day) and scream at him for at least a solid minute. The ump knew he was wrong and took the reaming for it.

The missed calls affected the pitchers hitters went after. Acuna golfed a pitch for a double that he would have likely preferred to let go, but a strike had been called earlier in the count that was well outside. Freeman swung at a pitch off the inside part of the plate that he ended up grounding to Rizzo to finish the game...though Rizzo is even 3' either direction of where he's playing, and that's a double down the line, scoring both runners and tying the game.

Kimbrel didn't look good. He wasn't finishing right, which left his control all over the place, and that struggle to finish was heavily on his left knee, the same knee that was a major concern for most teams worried that he'd need to miss a year to get the knee fully repaired and healed due to the extensive damage in it. He might even get through 2019, but his knee makes a multi-year contract a huge risk, and an understandable one to walk away from for a smart organization. The Cubs are in a different pressure environment, forced to make moves that aren't exactly wise for the long-term health of the organization at times.

• birdwatcher and Dman like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#9 nclahammer

nclahammer

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:17 AM

Made his Cubs debut yesterday and got the save. Throwing 97 MPH.

We didn't need him.

https://blogs.fangra...s-off-the-rust/

Saw Kimbrell give up a homerun to a minor leaguer in Des Moines last Saturday, let's wait and see what happens.

#10 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:41 AM

Based on Cruz coming here? Or was that not about money? What do you base this on, in the face of years of evidence?

I would base it on Cruz being about the only person to choose Minnesota rather than using Cruz to "prove" a point.As nice as Minnesota is, it isn't a destination spot for athletes wanting to cash in on endorsement money or enjoy fabulous night life.Bean suppers are great but not equal to night life in Chicago, New York, L.A., etc.

#11 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:52 AM

Just read Carole's post. I agree and I'm out of here.
  • Carole Keller likes this

#12 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:19 PM

Kimbrel's line vs. Pittsburgh tonite:

1 IP

3H

3R

3ER

0BB

2HR

The once pristine ERA is now sitting at 13.50

The Cubs were losing 15-5 when they put him in, so there is that.

• blindeke likes this

#13 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:37 PM

He was missing badly, but he compensated by hanging stuff in the zone that was just too easy to crush for Pirate hitters. I love Craig. His passion for the game is unmatched. However, he may have been better served finding a team that didn't want him to pitch in 2019 and getting his knee finally properly taken care of...

• Monkeypaws likes this

#14 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:49 PM

Another 2 runs in 2/3 of an inning on Wednesday and credited for the loss, 16.88 ERA after his 3rd game.

• Danchat and FlauerPauer like this

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:36 AM

I thought he'd start badly, but wow.
  • biggentleben likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#16 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

My Cubs fan friends are going nuts.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#17 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,755 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:11 AM

I think the blown save is getting overblown a bit. Kimbrel didn't pitch well, but he didn't get hit either. There was a one out walk (bad Kimbrel), then a bloop double just out of the reach of Contreras (the Cubs catcher who was playing in RF). Then a grounder to second, where Russell hesitated then threw home late, then a sac fly. If Contreras or a real outfielder makes the play, it's a fairly easy save. If Russell throws home right away, it may still have been a save but a fairly adventurous one. If Russell takes the out at first, it's a blown save going into extra innings but not necessarily a loss.

Not a good game for Kimbrel -- he needs to miss more bats, obviously -- but not a disaster the box score would have you believe either.

Edited by spycake, 07 July 2019 - 10:17 AM.

#18 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:49 AM

Missed plenty of bats last night. Got the 3-run save vs White Sox. All three outs were K’s including Abreu to end it. Gave up two base-runners on a HBP and a walk. If nothing else, Maddon seems to have decided that he’s good with using Kimbrel in late/leverage already.

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

He's using him late, but if I were a Cubs fan, I'd be no more sure of my favorite team's lead late in an October game with Kimbrel than I was with Strop or Cishek.

#20 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,755 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:48 PM

He's using him late, but if I were a Cubs fan, I'd be no more sure of my favorite team's lead late in an October game with Kimbrel than I was with Strop or Cishek.

Better choosing between Kimbrel, Strop, or Cishek than just Strop or Cishek, though.

• jkcarew likes this