Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: 2019 International Signing Period Preview

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:44 AM

I edited my post, I think he'll slide in lower than I initially thought at Pipeline.
38th seems really bearish though... is Fangraphs always conservative with international signees, or are they just much lower on him specifically?

I don't think 38th is too conservative for a 16 year old but Fangraphs does have him at 19th in their international rankings instead of the 8th he was in mlb.com.

Edited by SomeGuy, 03 July 2019 - 12:01 PM.

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:15 PM

The whole international signing period reminds me, though the players are younger, of college football recruiting. Except, of course, that money is involved. [Unless we are talking SEC and then money is definitely involved. I kid, I kid].

More than the draft, you are talking about recruiting and personal connections and ATTEMPTING to project athleticism, build and development on a different scale than a college player or HS player...couple years older than these signings...which have usually attended various camps and tournaments.

In the draft, there are dealings and relationships that deal with slot value, but you still get to draft who you want when your spot is up. This is so much more about trusting in your scouts and what they believe the future holds.
  • gunnarthor and rdehring like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:04 PM

Love how this process has been imporved in the last CBA.No longer allows for big teams beating the system...just ask the Braves. This process means so much to the Twins as Polanco, Sano, Kepler, Arraez, Astudillo and Thorpe were all International players they signed.Take them out of the organization and it is a different team.  

Others such as Cruz, Adrianza, Gonzalez and Schoop were International, but not signed by the Twins.

• DocBauer likes this

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:40 PM

Love how this process has been imporved in the last CBA.No longer allows for big teams beating the system...just ask the Braves. This process means so much to the Twins as Polanco, Sano, Kepler, Arraez, Astudillo and Thorpe were all International players they signed.Take them out of the organization and it is a different team.  

Others such as Cruz, Adrianza, Gonzalez and Schoop were International, but not signed by the Twins.

Don't know how, but bad actually forgotten Thorpe was an international signing.

Sano, Polanco and Kepler were all signed in '08-09. Rosario was drafted the same time frame. Berrios, I believe, a year or two later. Say what you want about the previous FO, but they did a hell of a job in those couple of years.
  • gunnarthor likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:56 PM

Love how this process has been imporved in the last CBA. No longer allows for big teams beating the system...just ask the Braves. This process means so much to the Twins as Polanco, Sano, Kepler, Arraez, Astudillo and Thorpe were all International players they signed. Take them out of the organization and it is a different team.

All of those guys were signed under the old system. By, paying the most money for Sano and Kepler. It was always a choice.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.