Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

What was Tampa Bay Thinking

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:40 PM

When they waived CJ Cron? He hit 30 home runs with a .816 OPS in 2018.He wasn't making a lot of money int he grand scheme of things.He still has an aribitration year left before he hits free agency.

I normally do not think the Twins should pick up rejects from other team, but he was a no-brainer.  

• glunn and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#2 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

Agreed...no-brainer for Twins. But Tampa Bay has been getting basically the same production out of Yandy Diaz...$600K vs $4.8M. You have to hand it to them...they are simply way better at this than the other small-market teams.
  • Brock Beauchamp, glunn, Riverbrian and 4 others like this

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,899 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

Agreed...no-brainer for Twins. But Tampa Bay has been getting basically the same production out of Yandy Diaz...$600K vs $4.8M. You have to hand it to them...they are simply way better at this than the other small-market teams.

Yep. I really thought they'd go into a tailspin after the loss of Friedman (and maybe a little bit with the loss of Maddon) but the organization hasn't missed a beat. It really says a lot about the top-to-bottom strength of their org.

• glunn, Riverbrian, Huffmental and 3 others like this

#4 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:25 PM

And they are doing all this while playing in an empty stadium.

• glunn, Sconnie, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,247 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:31 PM

They’ve managed fine without him but I really would have like it to bite them in the tail harder.

In my view, teams like the Rays, Pirates, A’s and Marlins need to be publicly humiliated for their inexcusable refusal to spend money. I mean we complain about the Twins but a few of these clubs make them look like the Yankees. Ok, maybe the Cardinals.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,899 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

They’ve managed fine without him but I really would have like it to bite them in the tail harder.

In my view, teams like the Rays, Pirates, A’s and Marlins need to be publicly humiliated for their inexcusable refusal to spend money. I mean we complain about the Twins but a few of these clubs make them look like the Yankees. Ok, maybe the Cardinals.

The Tampa Bay area appears to hate the Rays. It's not entirely the organization's fault; they can't corral paying "fans" into the stadium with guns.

#7 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

It worked pretty well for them in 2018.

#8 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

The Rays knew what they were doing. I think the main point with Cron is that the Twins were smart to realize he actually had broken out in 2018 - the view in most quarters seemed to be that 2018 was a career year that he was unlikely to repeat.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,729 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:51 PM

They win like crazy, and no one goes to the games. Not sure what they should do.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#10 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:11 PM

What has been explained to me is that for the most part people in Tampa don't go to St. Pete and people in St. Pete don't go to Tampa.

#11 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,162 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:12 AM

They win like crazy, and no one goes to the games. Not sure what they should do.

Relocate
  • SgtSchmidt11 and tarheeltwinsfan like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#12 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:41 AM

Move to Charlotte

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,899 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:11 AM

Exactly.

#14 the_brute_squad

the_brute_squad

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:22 AM

Tampa Bay doesn't deserve a team. Move them to Tenn. or one of the Carolina's. Yankee and Red Sox fans should be thankful the Rays aren't in a better market because their front office keeps putting talent on the field despite their lack of revenue.

#15 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

One of the talk shows said that a primary reason that Tampa got the franchise in the first place was that George Steinbrenner lived there and wanted to see Yankees games without having to go to NYC all the time. Can't make up stuff like that so probably true. Same show said that Tampa never had and doesn't have the corporate presence or demographics to support MLB. Pretty simple really. The Marlins had 6,000 announced last night for the Nats game and I don't know why Miami is still considered viable. Florida is Grapefruit League period.