Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Luis Arráez: Hitting Machine

rocco baldelli franklin perez jose leon luis arraez
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,271 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:08 AM

I like Schoop a LOT! He bas a great personality, seems to be a great teammate, and plays very nice defense despite a couple recent gaffes when it seemed he tried too hard to make a play. He is a decent hitter with crazy power. He bas rebounded nicely from his injury plagued 2018, and has shown now, and previously, what he is capable of. I feel his best years are actually ahead of him. And I'd love to see him re-signed. And if he is not, I'm afraid there will be a lot of angst about woulda/coulda/shoulda.

But the reality is you have to have a complete team. And in this market...please don't bring in the tired old ownership arguement again...you do have certain limitations. The Twins have additional extensions be considered. They have a couple decisions to make regarding the rotation for next season. Schoop just might not fit in.

Unless he is traded...and were I a trade candidate team for the Twins I would have to consider him...i would strongly consider Arreaz for 2B next season. And while he may have a SSS at the ML level, you just can't discount his hit ability. You have to believe he will develop at least a little more pop, if not power, as he matures.

A few games ago, there was much made about comments from Dick and Bert about how Arreaz seemed to survey the field as he came to bat. And this was dismissed and laughed about by most as hyperbole. But is it really? This guy has raked at every level, and has shown at the ML level that he knows how to hit and has an idea when he comes to the plate.

One thing I find interesting is how we've been told he is a natural 2B, and that's it. And that may indeed be true. But Rocco has been OK tossing him out there at different spots.

I really don't know how his defense plays at this point. And I doubt most of us do either. Starting 2B or utility player to begin his career? How much pop/power might he develop? How much plate discipline can he develop for OB sake? All questions to be answered.

But you simply don't hit the way he has in his entire milb career, or hit the way he has thus far at the ML level, SSS understood, unless you actually have a HIT tool.
  • rdehring likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 psturnbloom

psturnbloom

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:44 AM

Schoop has not been good at all. Arraez is the real deal.

That's overstating it a bit, don't you think? Schoop is a slightly above average batter, and a slightly above average fielder. Given a larger sample size from Arraez, I think we'd see his slugging percentage dip below Schoop's.

And Schoop is a better defender (his arm is *clearly* better). 

• USAFChief and birdwatcher like this

#23 jz7233

jz7233

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

That's overstating it a bit, don't you think? Schoop is a slightly above average batter, and a slightly above average fielder. Given a larger sample size from Arraez, I think we'd see his slugging percentage dip below Schoop's.

And Schoop is a better defender (his arm is *clearly* better). 

Defensively Schoop is better. Schoop also has more power. The problem is Schoop hardly produces when it matters. To me Schoop has talent, he just has no discipline at the plate. He swings at anything. He is usually an unproductive easy out. I would prefer Arraez who gets on base regularly over Schoop any day.

Edited by jz7233, 27 June 2019 - 07:29 AM.

• rdehring likes this

#24 Bavarian

Bavarian

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:30 AM

Scoop did play 3B in Baltimore and this could remedy Sano from being out there all the time and keep Arraez at 2nd.I would venture to say he can play the position better than Miguel.Addition by subtraction in both fielding and hitting IMO.

• dex8425 and psturnbloom like this

#25 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

I'd bet a lot of money on Gordon being a key trade chip for the deadline

That's fine too, but I don't think we should ever just give a prospect a job. Development takes time and based on Hicks and Buxton as examples where there wasn't competition it seems like most players need that extra push. Even Morneau had to display Dougie.

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,796 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:05 AM

Schoop has not been good at all. Arraez is the real deal.

Schoop is playing at roughly a 2 WAR level over a full season. That’s a perfectly adequate staring player in MLB.
  • Jerr likes this

#27 jz7233

jz7233

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:10 AM

Schoop is playing at roughly a 2 WAR level over a full season. That’s a perfectly adequate staring player in MLB.

I care more about production when RISP.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,796 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:14 AM

So you care more about specific situations that pop up once every so often in literally one-half of a player's game than you care about the player's entire game?

70836500.jpg

Besides, even if you buy into that weird viewpoint, Schoop's 2019 OPS (.781) is barely different than his 2019 RISP OPS (.761).

And if you want to drill down into microscopic splits, he's crushing the ball with men on first and second with a .878 OPS. His OPS with men on base is .827.

*shrugs shoulders and wanders off*

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:24 AM

Schoop has a higher OPS this year with RISP than he does with the bases empty. His OPS with RISP (.761) isn't significantly lower than his overall OPS (.781).

#30 Yossarian

Yossarian

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:32 PM

Meet your 2020 Twins starting 2b.Schoop won't be resigned.A comp for Arraez?How 'bout Rod Carew?

• jz7233 likes this

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,796 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:00 AM

Meet your 2020 Twins starting 2b.Schoop won't be resigned.A comp for Arraez?How 'bout Rod Carew?

One of the three greatest second basemen of the modern era?

Sure, that's reasonable.

• Steve Lein, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 1 other like this

#32 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,241 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:09 AM

I don’t know what we have but let’s find out.

Right Now... I’m saying that you can’t send him down. No matter who comes back healthy.

Gonna have to have him cool down a bit before you even consider that.

And give him occasional OF work.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#33 Yossarian

Yossarian

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:57 AM

One of the three greatest second basemen of the modern era?

Sure, that's reasonable.

What would be reasonable is to compare Arraez and Carew at a similar age, rather than Arraez at 22 and Carew after completion of his career as one of the three greatest 2B of the modern era.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rocco baldelli, franklin perez, jose leon, luis arraez