Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Angie Valeria

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,920 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:57 AM

Next month she would have turned two years old. She jumped back into the river to try and save her father. Since we've closed ports of entry, asylum seekers are being forced to make more dangerous crossings. A few years ago, Europe was shamed by the drowning death of another child refugee from Syria, Aylan Kurdi. The way we're treating immigrants now, I'm not sure America can feel shame anymore. 

https://www.cnn.com/...sday/index.html

• PseudoSABR likes this

#2 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

The best people.

• gunnarthor likes this

#3 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,765 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:00 AM

Having 3 daughters.... I just can't understand why people are so heartless to think these immigrants/asylum/illegals are less-than, and don't deserve better. So sad for these people, and the way our country has been treating them. We must do better.
  • gunnarthor likes this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

My foster daughter turns 22 months old in three days.

The blood boils. I can't even type, my hands are shaking.

#5 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,055 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:20 PM

For every Angie Valeria, there's probably an Ariana Funes-Diaz. 

Probably don't need an entire thread for this person.

#6 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,920 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:22 PM

My foster daughter turns 22 months old in three days.

The blood boils. I can't even type, my hands are shaking.

I go between pure, raw anger and unstoppable tears and sadness and hopelessness. It is EVIL that what is happening. Anyone who starts in with ‘But were they illegal’ doesn’t have a problem with immigration policy, they have a problem with morality.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,920 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:46 PM

She was a brave little girl. She deserves to be remembered.

Whataboutism is not really helpful

• Mike Sixel likes this

#8 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,055 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

She was a brave little girl. She deserves to be remembered.

Whataboutism is not really helpful

It's sensationalism to push a political agenda. 

• ewen21 likes this

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

It's sensationalism to push a political agenda.

People often need personal stories to connect with a larger situation.

For those of us with toddlers or those that have raised toddlers, it doesn’t really get more personal than that photo.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and Musk21 like this

#10 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

So your point is that in order to protect people like Ariana Funes-Diaz or Angie Valeria from MS-13, through the implementing of a harsher immigration policy, we need accept that people like Ariana Funes-Diaz or Angie Valeria may end up dead along the way?

#11 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,859 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:27 PM

Next month she would have turned two years old. She jumped back into the river to try and save her father. Since we've closed ports of entry, asylum seekers are being forced to make more dangerous crossings. A few years ago, Europe was shamed by the drowning death of another child refugee from Syria, Aylan Kurdi. The way we're treating immigrants now, I'm not sure America can feel shame anymore. 

https://www.cnn.com/...sday/index.html

I have to question your motivation here.This is finger pointing at its worst, in my opinion.If you want to blame someone then start with the father.These people accepted the risks (which included putting his baby in peril).I prefer not to play the blame game here, but if we are going to do it as with anything that puts children in peril it begins with THE PARENTS.  

El Salvador is not the only country with people in dire straights.There are people in Africa facing dire circumstances and they can't jump on a plane and come here.They must go through a process and if they can't provide the necessary documentation they just can't.Why is it these immigrants get to circumvent those laws and African and Asian asylum seekers can't?They don't have the luck of geography?

That seems unfair to me and no one ever thinks twice.

This story is SAD.However, I don't see where anyone should feel outrage toward ICE, the US government, the Mexican government, Trump or any other combination of targets past the mother and father.The border has been overrun and both Mexico and the US cannot accommodate this massive migration.Who gets the blame here?Trump?ICE?America itself?

#12 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,055 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:27 PM

So your point is that in order to protect people like Ariana Funes-Diaz or Angie Valeria from MS-13, through the implementing of a harsher immigration policy, we need accept that people like Ariana Funes-Diaz or Angie Valeria may end up dead along the way?

Not really.Ariana Funes-Diaz was a victim of the types that they want to keep out with said policy. Angie Valeria was a victim of the policy to a degree.Ultimately, she was a victim of poor decision making by her own parents. The OP sensationalized the story by stating that she tried to save her father.After reading the article, it sounded more like she didn't want to be separated from her father.The OP also stated that people are "being forced" to make these decisions.However, after reading the article, I found no evidence of a gun to anyone's head.I mean they wanted their own home, but that probably isn't a good reason to risk a toddler to the current of the Rio Grande.

#13 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,055 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:31 PM

This story is SAD.However, I don't see where anyone should feel outrage toward ICE, the US government, the Mexican government, Trump or any other combination of targets past the mother and father.The border has been overrun and both Mexico and the US cannot accommodate this massive migration.Who gets the blame here?Trump?ICE?America itself?

Yeah, it did seem like a bait and switch thread to me.The OP grabs you with an "in memoriam" opener and the first response post is a political hook about the new bad guy.

Edited by MMMordabito, 26 June 2019 - 02:40 PM.

#14 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

Powerful twitter thread

• gunnarthor and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#15 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:10 PM

And when children die in their home country due to whatever depravity should we blame the parents then, too, for not escaping such conditions? 

Edited by PseudoSABR, 26 June 2019 - 03:11 PM.

#16 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:17 PM

Not really.Ariana Funes-Diaz was a victim of the types that they want to keep out with said policy. Angie Valeria was a victim of the policy to a degree.Ultimately, she was a victim of poor decision making by her own parents. The OP sensationalized the story by stating that she tried to save her father.After reading the article, it sounded more like she didn't want to be separated from her father.The OP also stated that people are "being forced" to make these decisions.However, after reading the article, I found no evidence of a gun to anyone's head.I mean they wanted their own home, but that probably isn't a good reason to risk a toddler to the current of the Rio Grande.

Don't disagree with the sensationalism critique, but I think we sometimes are too willing to grant desperate people the free will to make impossible, yet wise, choices.To have the foresight to see that coming to the US is somehow more dangerous than staying at home.

• LaBombo likes this

#17 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,006 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

This has been a problem for years... Not just because of recent policy changes. But, we tend to forget because there's a new national crisis every day. This photo will generate buzz for a while, then we'll move on, sadly.

• LaBombo and PseudoSABR like this

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,006 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:10 PM

Obama in 2014, faced with the same issues going on today, said this to George Stephanopoulos:

“Our message absolutely is don't send your children unaccompanied, on trains or through a bunch of smugglers,” Obama told ABC’s Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos in an exclusive interview here. “We don't even know how many of these kids don't make it, and may have been waylaid into sex trafficking or killed because they fell off a train.

Do not send your children to the borders,” he said. “If they do make it, they'll get sent back. More importantly, they may not make it.”

Fast forward to today, and immigrants are still sending their children on their own to cross the border. Perhaps the mistake now is not sending them back immediately? Or have the goal posts shifted?

https://abcnews.go.c...ory?id=24320063

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,917 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:31 PM

I got no idea what the best answer is, but I don't blame this administration for people dying on the way here.........and that's not an easy thing for me to type.

How we treat them when they are here? Well......that's a different thread.

• LaBombo, Vanimal46 and ewen21 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#20 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:47 PM

I got no idea what the best answer is, but I don't blame this administration for people dying on the way here.........and that's not an easy thing for me to type.

I do.When that administration curtails access to and the granting of legal asylum, and puts such seekers into near concentration camp conditions, those who would seek legal asylum, out of desperation, seek other means of entry into the US.  

This administration cannot claim to lack the funds to humanely deal with the immigration crisis when the only accomplishment of GOP control of the government has been a tax cut benefiting the very wealthy.And moreover, the stupid build-the-wall policy serves to distract from efforts to actually put funds that can prevent deaths like these.

I'm sure past administration share part of the blame here; but this is Trump's flagship issue.And he's ****ed up both in terms of his policy goals and the implementation.  

• gunnarthor likes this