Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Showing "Strong" Interest in Bumgarner

madison bumgarner
  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:15 AM

Thoughts?

• Mike Frasier Law, Oldgoat_MN and tarheeltwinsfan like this
Cody Christie
@nodaktwinsfan

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,215 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:24 AM

Acquiring him would make me very happy.
  • SgtSchmidt11, Sconnie, tarheeltwinsfan and 3 others like this

#3 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:25 AM

I would be guardedly excited, it would also depend on the cost.

• dcswede, 70charger, USNMCPO and 8 others like this

#4 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:33 AM

Would rather have bull pen help first but at least it shows we are actively trying to add arms. 

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#5 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:36 AM

Would rather have bull pen help first but at least it shows we are actively trying to add arms. 

Adding Bumgarner would push Pineda or Perez to the pen, hopefully boosting both it and the rotation with one move. It also means Gibby or Odo can help out of the pen in the playoffs, I'd assume.

• birdwatcher, Mike Frasier Law, Sssuperdave and 6 others like this

#6 hugelycat

hugelycat

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:37 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'd love to have Bumgarner on the team, but don't break the bank for him. He's not an ace any more, but that also means he might be available as a low-cost rental. As he is now, he would still be a back of the rotation upgrade, with upside.

• Jerr, darin617, Oldgoat_MN and 6 others like this

#7 J_Dobs

J_Dobs

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:42 AM

Adding Bumgarner would push Pineda or Perez to the pen, hopefully boosting both it and the rotation with one move. It also means Gibby or Odo can help out of the pen in the playoffs, I'd assume.

I agree on this, but at the same time the switch to the bullpen is not easy, and just to expect them to be great. But I think having Bumgarner in the playoff could be huge honestly. He been there done that, even if he is not the Bumgarner of old.

• gagu and MN_ExPat like this

#8 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 60 posts

I would expect the cost to be extremely high to acquire him. He is not just another player to that franchise and the fan base will be extremely upset if they trade him for anything less than a huge haul of prospects. He won 3 World series for them. I imagine it would be like the twins trading Kirby Puckett back in the day.The Twins should get him if the price is right, but they shouldn't empty the farm system for him.

• Jerr, USNMCPO, Sssuperdave and 5 others like this

#9 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Given his current performance I am not sure he moves the needle that much.My assumption is the Twins don't want to Push Pineda too hard as this is his first season back from injury so Bumgarner would be a way to help limit his innings.Probably a needed move but was hoping for someone pitching a little better.I guess maybe the price is right\better for someone like Madbum and he does have upside so it makes sense. I just don't see it as a killer put us over the top move.

• Oldgoat_MN and jz7233 like this

#10 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:44 AM

I agree on this, but at the same time the switch to the bullpen is not easy, and just to expect them to be great. But I think having Bumgarner in the playoff could be huge honestly. He been there done that, even if he is not the Bumgarner of old.

Exactly. Expecting Pineda or Perez to just go to the bull pen and NOT be liabilities the moment they step in there is foolish. We need PROVEN bull pen talent. 

• bighat likes this

#11 jz7233

jz7233

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

MadBum is not an ace and I don't expect Twins to give up much for him. Gonsalves and Celestino should do it.

• darin617 likes this

#12 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:54 AM

Exactly. Expecting Pineda or Perez to just go to the bull pen and NOT be liabilities the moment they step in there is foolish. We need PROVEN bull pen talent. 

There's no such thing as proven bullpen talent. The Twins currently have the second best record in baseball with a grand total of two guys in the pen who were proven bullpen talent at the beginning of the season (Rogers and Parker, and I'm using the word "proven"loosely with Parker). We're seeing all over the league that guys who were expected to be elite just aren't getting the job done while no-name guys are out there tossing zeros. Any movement of the needle in a postive direction is a good thing. Who knows? Maybe getting traded will p!ss MadBum off and put a chip on his shoulder. An angry bumgarner with something to prove is somebody I want in my rotation.

• Sssuperdave, LA VIkes Fan, Vanimal46 and 4 others like this

#13 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:58 AM

Acquiring him would make me very happy.

Doing just about anything to help the major league team would make me happy.

• Jerr, Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,215 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:01 AM

Proven bullpen talent like Ryne Harper, Mike Morin, Matt Magill, Zach Littell, Adalberto Mejia, and Kohl Stewart?
  • lukeduke1980 and Tomj14 like this

#15 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

Did anyone watch the SF game last night? Madbum was dealing. Good velo, location, pitch sequencing. Think he finished with 9 or 10 K. The guy can still bring it. 

• Steve Lein, scottz, notoriousgod71 and 9 others like this

#16 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

I would expect the cost to be extremely high to acquire him. He is not just another player to that franchise and the fan base will be extremely upset if they trade him for anything less than a huge haul of prospects. He won 3 World series for them. I imagine it would be like the twins trading Kirby Puckett back in the day.The Twins should get him if the price is right, but they shouldn't empty the farm system for him.

Rentals are different though. Think of what the Twins got for Morneau.

I'm hopeful that a package more comparable to last year's Dozier trade could get it done.

But I ain't no GM.

• 70charger, Danchat, gagu and 1 other like this

#17 jz7233

jz7233

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

There's no such thing as proven bullpen talent. The Twins currently have the second best record in baseball with a grand total of two guys in the pen who were proven bullpen talent at the beginning of the season (Rogers and Parker, and I'm using the word "proven"loosely with Parker). We're seeing all over the league that guys who were expected to be elite just aren't getting the job done while no-name guys are out there tossing zeros. Any movement of the needle in a postive direction is a good thing. Who knows? Maybe getting traded will p!ss MadBum off and put a chip on his shoulder. An angry bumgarner with something to prove is somebody I want in my rotation.

MadBum has been in this league for quite some time. He's seen it all. I doubt it's going to get him angry. He knows how important it is to perform well in the post season though.

Edited by jz7233, 26 June 2019 - 08:12 AM.

• woolywoolhouse likes this

#18 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,089 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

Bumgarner isn’t the pitcher I want from the Giants, particularly as a rental only. I’d rather go after a different starter. I also don’t want to over pay for a rental. I’d overpay for a different starter.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#19 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:13 AM

MadBum is not an ace and I don't expect Twins to give up much for him. Gonsalves and Celestino should do it.

Value isn't determined in a vacuum. I'm certain that several teams can and would beat that offer.

• dbminn, gagu and sftwinsfan like this

#20 HawksNest

HawksNest

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:15 AM

Passan now reporting that Twins and Giants haven't had talks on MadBum in weeks. Says we're more focused on Will Smith at the moment.

https://twitter.com/...882764707651586

Edited by HawksNest, 26 June 2019 - 08:15 AM.

• Carole Keller, 70charger, Sconnie and 4 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: madison bumgarner