Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 9, TB 4: Twins Shell Blake Snell

minnesota twins twins game recap twins vs rays twins win
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:57 AM

I definitely miss Buxton these days, but the good thing about an 8.5 game lead is you can wait until a guy is actually fully recovered. If Kepler needs to miss some time, though it ramps up the need for him to return.

We haven't had a bunch of major injuries, but we're starting to see a few minor ones pile up. Those hurt too, but the depth we have should carry us through.

Great to see the offense get going again. Sano's 3Ks was not great, though. If he can't catch up to 95mph fastballs, he's not going to be an effective hitter. Wonder if he might get sent down once Marwin returns? Feels like he needs a reset.

• 70charger likes this

#22 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

His lack of speed in the OF definitely contributed to Gibson's "meltdown" inning.

Was thinking the same thing, especially that line drive in the gap he didn't get to.Was asking myself, "self, would Kepler have gotten that?"Don't know.Also don't know how they may have been positioned differently.Of the 5 positions La Tortuga plays in addition to catcher, would have to say right field is the toughest for him...perhaps in part because he hasn't played there very much.See him as ok at first and third, acceptable in left and at second or right only in a pinch.But that is great flexibility for someone who is ok behind the plate.

• 70charger likes this

#23 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

Great win, but if Buxton is going to continue to be out and Kepler is going to miss time they have to call up another outfielder, right? I mean they can't just run Cave, Austudillo, and Rosario out their with no back up on the bench? Am I the only one that sees a problem?

I'm betting Marwin will be ready tonight.

• 70charger likes this

#24 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:32 AM

He did the La Tortuga spin move there at the end. I think that'll show up on the Best of the MLB on NHK in a couple of weeks.

Hand had quite a meltdown against the Royals.

Got to love how he secures the ball on the way down. The Turtle is a Baller!!!

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

I'm betting Marwin will be ready tonight.

Marwin isn't eligible to return until Saturday.

#26 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,575 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

His lack of speed in the OF definitely contributed to Gibson's "meltdown" inning.

I can find video for only two of the three extra-base hits, but of those two (Brosseau and Lowe), I don't think anyone would have caught those on the fly for the third out. They were scorched, and landed in a hurry.

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#27 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:43 AM

Marwin isn't eligible to return until Saturday.

But he'll be ready tonight! Just has to wear his Tortuga disguise, and no one will ever know...

#28 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

Massive win on multiple different levels.

1). The struggling offense (relative to earlier in the year) put a beat down on the reigning Cy Young award winner. Huge confidence booster.

2). Similar to the above, but on an individual level, Rosario and Garver had huge games. Getting those guys hot again solves a lot of problems (pitching well doesn’t matter a whole lot when you’re scoring 7-8 runs).

3). If things do continue to fall apart (again, relative to earlier in the year), the Rays are the direct competition for a wildcard spot. Conversely, if things don’t, doing as much damage to Rays as possible isnt a bad thing. Not sure I’d like to see Snell, Morton, and Glasnow (maybe) in a playoff series.

4). Capitalized on an Indians loss, which is a rare occrrence lately. Building the lead back up before their pitching staff gets healthy is imperative. With all of the games we have left with them, a lead in the ballpark of 4-6 games scares me.

5). People are blasting Gibby, but I think it was a great performance for the team. Didn’t have to work the bullpen. K’d 7, which means his stuff is working. Kept the lead comfortable. Would it be nice to see more from him? Sure. But, going 7 and getting a win is big.

Winning tonight and taking the series would really put a nail in the coffin of that bad week.

The only negative in my mind is potentially losing Kepler (maybe news has broken, Im under a rock). That would hurt.
  • rdehring likes this

#29 Monticore

Monticore

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

I like to see The Turtle do well. In German mythology there's a creature called a *dummling. He looks maladroit and falls asleep under a tree, whereupon a branch falls on him and breaks his leg and he is laughed at. But, on that very day government soldiers are rounding up all the young men for war. The Turtle is a talisman, a Spirit, a *luck factor which this team in particular needs.
  • ashbury likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, twins game recap, twins vs rays, twins win