Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Should the Twins be looking at Trevor Rosenthal?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:44 PM

I'm really surprised nobody has jumped on this yet.

Rosenthal has had an absolute nightmare of a season with the Nationals. So bad they released him the last few days. His frightening numbers can be referenced by anyone with courage to look at, in various articles and the such, but I will skip over them for brevity and because I would like to avoid any NC-17 or R rating being conjoined with this post.

But his still only 29yo and maintains consistent mid 90's plus velocity from every account I have read. From 2012, SSS and 1st season, he was good to excellent with the Cardinals, including a pair of 40SV seasons in 2014 and '15. He took a dip in 2016 before a fine 2017 rebound, be it only 50 games. He tore his CUP in 2017 and had surgery and wound up missing the 2018 season.

We all know surgery is to be taken seriously, and has ended many careers, despite all the successful recovery stories we have come to accept as mere blips in the career roads of so many players. And perhaps this is a tragic story of someone who just won't be able to overcome.

But could this be wrong time, wrong place, wrong team and staff and he could find himself again with the right situation?

This is a re-build, or further re-hab situation, IMO, and not some waiver wire dumpster dive. Nor do i argue against the Twins making necessary trade moves. But I wonder if this isn't a high ceiling, low risk option they should take a look at. Not dis-similar to the recent Allen signing.

What say you?
  • nicksaviking and Strato Guy like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#2 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

Yes please
  • operation mindcrime likes this

#3 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:04 PM

I know there are high opinions of this front office, et all. But, I don’t think they’re so superior that they can take guys like Allen and Rosenthal and turn them into dominant relievers again.

It’s fine to take a flier or two. But, I’m not sure this FO/staff is in a place right now to be considered reclamation experts. Go get some pitchers that are good now, and work on some of the guys we already have.

#4 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:31 PM

I know there are high opinions of this front office, et all. But, I don’t think they’re so superior that they can take guys like Allen and Rosenthal and turn them into dominant relievers again.
It’s fine to take a flier or two. But, I’m not sure this FO/staff is in a place right now to be considered reclamation experts. Go get some pitchers that are good now, and work on some of the guys we already have.

I agree on obtain a proven guy or two. I am not dismissing that need. But I'm not sure Allen and Rosenthal are in the same situation. Allen may be another Addison Reed, a high level RP who just burned out. Maybe. We don't know. A milb flier for a previously very good MLB RP is not silly.

And maybe Rosenthal is just done, and will never find himself again. But he's a couple 2-3yrs younger than Allen and coming off surgery. The reports I've read are the velocity is still there, but command is crap. What if he's willing to take a few weeks at AAA to work with different coaches and see if they can find something he's been missing? Especially without MLB pressure?
  • IndianaTwin likes this

--Lou Brown

#5 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:56 PM

He was just as bad on rehab, so unless you are looking at 2 years of cheap control, probably not worth the gamble.

#6 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

The command might not be there, but Rosenthal’s still hitting triple digits so I say give him a contract. And since this is mainly a command problem that likely needs some mechanical adjustments (unlike Allen’s velocity problem that probably needs to focus more on strength training), I’m guessing it’d be 2-3 weeks in AAA for Rosenthal before he’s ready, which isn’t all that long considering the amount of time we’ve had to make due with what we currently have in the bullpen.

Edited by ChrisKnutson, 24 June 2019 - 10:12 PM.

• DocBauer likes this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:25 PM

I’d gamble on him, but I’m not sure the Twins would play roulette with both he and Allan. Rosenthal might also not be interested if he sees Allan as another obstacle back to the majors.

If I had to pick, I’d probably go with Rosenthal though. Allan looks like Addison Reed, his stuff just doesn’t work anymore now that he’s lost his velocity. I’d like Rosenthal’s odds of shaking off the rust and regaining some control better.

Not that I’d do more than cross my fingers with either scenario,
  • Dman and DocBauer like this

#8 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,124 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:43 AM

Rosenthal on a minor league deal makes all the sense in the world. Much better odds of him being good again than Allen, IMO.

• Blake, diehardtwinsfan, DocBauer and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#9 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:13 AM

Delta has four flights daily from MSP to CID and three going back. Make Rosenthal a Kernel and send Wes down every few days for the workout. I'm in. 

#10 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

If the Nationals can sign Fernando Rodney (which they did) to take his place, why not? Just shows the state of pitching in MLB. No one has enough and teams will try anything. It all gets back to starters not being allowed to throw more than 100 pitches before they get their next 4 days off to "recover". Jim Palmer once had 25 complete games in ONE season and was saying the other night that there were pitchers in the O's bull pen who wouldn't see action for a month at a time. Give Rosenthal a shot and let the game of musical relief pitchers continue.

#11 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:36 AM

I mean his season FIP is over 12 runs lower than his season ERA of over 22.

All kidding aside, minor league deal flyer would be worth it. Just as Cody Allen might.

• nicksaviking and 70charger like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#12 a-wan

a-wan

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:17 PM

Baseball savant doesn't have his spin and velocity rankings for this year but prior to TJS he was 100% fastball spin and velocity, so to answer you question: Yes the Twins should have interest. The arm is there as evidenced by his average velo this year of 98 MPH.

#13 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

Baseball savant doesn't have his spin and velocity rankings for this year but prior to TJS he was 100% fastball spin and velocity, so to answer you question: Yes the Twins should have interest. The arm is there as evidenced by his average velo this year of 98 MPH.

Agreed - but holy crap, 15 walks in 6.1 IP? Yikes!

#14 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:39 PM

Agreed - but holy crap, 15 walks in 6.1 IP? Yikes!

Indeed. His numbers this season would rival anything imagined from Elm Street.

And should state I don't think the Twins, or anyone, should snag him and put him in their pen. He desperately needs a re-set first. I'd say A ball and just relax and work on things one day at a time.

But the history and velocity are there.

--Lou Brown