Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: 2019 Twins Midseason Top Prospect List: 26-30

matt canterino devin smeltzer luke raley gilberto celestino lewin diaz
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:10 AM

I wonder if they incorporate OF position into their fielding metric. Rosario and Kepler came up playing mostly CF (on non-byron buxton teams), while Raley has played <5% of his innings in CF.

I thought the same thing I am not completely sure on the fielding metric.In the write up they mention him as an outfielder and he is listed as outfielder\1st base.I agree it is hard to say what position they are referencing.The run grade is similar though and that is typically an important part of outfield defense getting to balls and or cutting them off to prevent extra base hits.Arm is also important for outfield assists\throwing runners out and Raley's arm grades out above both Max and Rosie.

So like I said if you believe in these numbers then Raley should be comparable and in some ways better than both Rosario and Kepler in the outfield.Granted bigger guys tend to get slower faster as they age. The reference to Robbie being noted he is no spring chicken anymore at 29 and his speed obviously declined since he was a prospect so again hard to say how Raley's speed will hold up but given the fairly recent scouting reports on MLB.com they don't see him as a liability in right or left field at this time.

OK now I see what you mean.I don't know that is a very good question though.Center field defense is a lot different than the corners but I think run grades are just run grades regardless of position.Fielding grades might be different for center though as your running and throwing ability factor in more to your fielding grade for center I would think.

Edited by Dman, 27 June 2019 - 10:21 AM.

#22 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

They are raw grades, independent of position.
A guy who isn't good enough to play anywhere but first base is never going to have an 80 grade, even if he's the best defensive first baseman to ever play the game.
It could just as well be called an "athletic" grade, rather than fielding.
A guy with an 80 fielding grade is athletic enough to play anywhere, 60 can probably pass anywhere, but might need to eventually move off SS or CF, 40 can likely only play a corner position, etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: matt canterino, devin smeltzer, luke raley, gilberto celestino, lewin diaz