Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Dallas Keuchel tracker

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:05 PM

Keuchel made his Atlanta debut last Friday 6/21.  

5IP 8H 4R 3ER 1HR 3SO and 2 hit batters

If you were expecting him to come in and be lights out immediately it didn't happen.Pretty sure he still needs to knock some rust off but after 1 start Twins fans can get that type of production out of Pineda. 

• Mike Frasier Law and Dman like this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:12 PM

I at no point ever have wanted Dallas Keuchel and was glad the Twins didn't seem terribly interested in that kind of pitcher.

But after only one start, it's not worth the possible dinner of crow later, to draw any kind of conclusions now.

• brvama, DiscGolfer and Dman like this

#3 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:54 PM

You're right that's it's too early to draw any conclusions and I didn't really want to see him sigh with the Twins also but that's all the information we have at this point.

What concerns me about that line is the 2 hit batters, he only had 2 hit batters in each of the last 4 seasons. His control might not be there and after he gets better with his control he'll probably be better but as pointed out it's too early to tell but worth tracking.

Edited by DiscGolfer, 24 June 2019 - 01:13 PM.

• ashbury likes this

#4 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,419 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

You're right that's it's too early to draw any conclusions and I didn't really want to see him sigh with the Twins also but that's all the information we have at this point.

Pretty sure the negative nancys would have a near meltdown if any Twins pitcher posted a line like that.

What concerns me about that line is the 2 hit batters, he only had 2 hit batters in each of the last 4 seasons. His control might not be there and after he gets better with his control he'll probably be better but as pointed out it's too early to tell but worth tracking.

Moderator's note: Let's please avoid characterizing fellow posters or groups of posters, and also not overstate one another's reaction to any given topic. This thread looks like the kind that will naturally attract its fair share of Hot Takes anyway, so don't add to the incentive by being combative from the outset.

• nicksaviking and DiscGolfer like this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#5 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

Let's get real about the start.

Keuchel opened with 3 perfectly-pitched innings. His first HBP to Victor Robles nearly got Braves manager Brian Snitker thrown out of the game. Needless to say, there was a heck of a lot of consternation from Nationals fans when Jose Tabata threw up an elbow to take an HBP and spoil Max Scherzer's perfect game with 2 outs in the 9th, but Victor Robles taking a step toward the pitch and then getting grazed is a sign of "gritty"...

The 4th inning opened with an error on what should have been a deep infield single for Brian Dozier that Ozzie Albies attempted to make a highlight-reel play on, and missed the throw badly, placing Dozier on 2nd. On a 1-0 count, Robles drove a ball to deep right-center that showed exactly why Ronald Acuna may be one of the most gifted natural athletes in the game right now, but he's not a natural center fielder as he misplayed the ball, but it was ruled a triple. 1 run scored, should have been two errors.

The Nationals sacrificed home a run on a well-done sacrifice to score their second run of the inning, but not before the ump missed a strike call badly in that at-bat that got Keuchel out of sorts and nibbling. That nibbling led to a home run from Yan Gomes as the next batter after the sacrifice. Brian McCann went out to speak with Keuchel during the home run, and Keuchel bore down to get a quick groundout from Strasburg and then strikeout Trea Turner to finish the inning.

In the bottom of the 5th, Juan Soto hooked a ball perfectly down the line for a triple and Anthony Rendon followed with a deep infield single. Howie Kendrick scorched a ball right at Acuna in center that I'd wager would have been an out with Inciarte playing, but Acuna played it well enough to hold Kendrick to a single. Keuchel then worked around that to get out of the inning, but not before Robles AGAIN stepped into an HBP, this one just grazing his uniform and never touching his body. The umpires reportedly talked with both managers the next night to let them know that they'd reviewed both HBP and that if Robles did it again the rest of the series, he would not be awarded first base as what he was doing would qualify as encouraging the HBP and no base would be awarded.

The Braves have been known for late-inning work this season (a team with a deep lineup that feasts on fastballs will typically do well in late innings in the modern game), but in spite of runners on in the 6th-9th innings, they couldn't push any runs across, and Keuchel took the hard-luck loss.

I've watched a LOT of Pineda this year. He's got perhaps 1 or 2 starts better than that one this year...and I was not a fan of the Keuchel signing by the Braves, so I'm still quite skeptical, but he showed very well in his first start.

Edited by biggentleben, 24 June 2019 - 01:16 PM.

• Monkeypaws likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#6 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

Let's get real about the start.

Keuchel opened with 3 perfectly-pitched innings. His first HBP to Victor Robles nearly got Braves manager Brian Snitker thrown out of the game. Needless to say, there was a heck of a lot of consternation from Nationals fans when Jose Tabata threw up an elbow to take an HBP and spoil Max Scherzer's perfect game with 2 outs in the 9th, but Victor Robles taking a step toward the pitch and then getting grazed is a sign of "gritty"...

The 4th inning opened with an error on what should have been a deep infield single for Brian Dozier that Ozzie Albies attempted to make a highlight-reel play on, and missed the throw badly, placing Dozier on 2nd. On a 1-0 count, Robles drove a ball to deep right-center that showed exactly why Ronald Acuna may be one of the most gifted natural athletes in the game right now, but he's not a natural center fielder as he misplayed the ball, but it was ruled a triple. 1 run scored, should have been two errors.

The Nationals sacrificed home a run on a well-done sacrifice to score their second run of the inning, but not before the ump missed a strike call badly in that at-bat that got Keuchel out of sorts and nibbling. That nibbling led to a home run from Yan Gomes as the next batter after the sacrifice. Brian McCann went out to speak with Keuchel during the home run, and Keuchel bore down to get a quick groundout from Strasburg and then strikeout Trea Turner to finish the inning.

In the bottom of the 5th, Juan Soto hooked a ball perfectly down the line for a triple and Anthony Rendon followed with a deep infield single. Howie Kendrick scorched a ball right at Acuna in center that I'd wager would have been an out with Inciarte playing, but Acuna played it well enough to hold Kendrick to a single. Keuchel then worked around that to get out of the inning, but not before Robles AGAIN stepped into an HBP, this one just grazing his uniform and never touching his body. The umpires reportedly talked with both managers the next night to let them know that they'd reviewed both HBP and that if Robles did it again the rest of the series, he would not be awarded first base as what he was doing would qualify as encouraging the HBP and no base would be awarded.

The Braves have been known for late-inning work this season (a team with a deep lineup that feasts on fastballs will typically do well in late innings in the modern game), but in spite of runners on in the 6th-9th innings, they couldn't push any runs across, and Keuchel took the hard-luck loss.

I've watched a LOT of Pineda this year. He's got perhaps 1 or 2 starts better than that one this year...and I was not a fan of the Keuchel signing by the Braves, so I'm still quite skeptical, but he showed very well in his first start.

Thanks for the recap, I didn't know about the circumstances about the 2 HBPs

• ashbury and biggentleben like this

#7 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

Keuchel's next start is Wed vs. the Cubs.

#8 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,419 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

The moderators have marked their calendars. :)

• Blake, nicksaviking, DiscGolfer and 4 others like this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:37 PM

The moderators have marked their calendars. :)

Cubs/Braves? You take the Keuchel thread, I'll take the inevitable Kimbrel thread. :)

• ashbury, Blake and David HK like this

#10 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

I was actually at the game - I thought his stuff looked pretty hittable. Granted, he isn't a fire-baller, and it was his first start in a good while. I was hoping for a Dozier homer, and was denied, much to the joy of the Braves fans seated next to me.

I liked what I saw from Strasburg much more.

• ashbury and nicksaviking like this

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:45 PM

I was actually at the game - I thought his stuff looked pretty hittable. Granted, he isn't a fire-baller, and it was his first start in a good while. I was hoping for a Dozier homer, and was denied, much to the joy of the Braves fans seated next to me.

I liked what I saw from Strasburg much more.

Agreed on the hittable. He's not getting the late movement right now that he gets, but that will likely come, and that's what gives him more swing and miss. I'm curious your thoughts on the rest of the game's evaluation and if I had any of it through "Braves-colored glasses", as I do try to keep that perspective as tempered as possible while still being open that they are my favorite team.

Strasburg will always be a guy who is incredibly fun and frustrating to watch. He should be one of the 2-3 best pitchers in the entire game with his raw stuff, but it's as if he hasn't learned anything from having Scherzer in the dugout with him the last few years. Scherzer picked up from Verlander that all the talent in the world means squat without learning to pitch around it. Stras all too often relies on that talent alone, which still is impressive, but won't ever get him to that next step.

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

This one could be....well, let's just say I am making plans for Wednesday.

#13 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:36 PM

His 2nd start vs the Cubs looks like he did OK, not great not horrible.

5.2 IP 8 H 3 R 2 HR 3 BB 2 K

Tonight's start vs. Phillies he looked pretty solid.

7 IP 5 H 2 R 2 BB 3 K

Seems to be getting better each start so far.

#14 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:09 PM

Regardless of how Keuchel pitches in Atlanta (as long as it’s not below league average), I wouldn’t mind seeing him in a Twins uniform next season; definitely would offset the pain of an eventual Gibby departure next offseason.

#15 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:17 PM

He won't have a qualifying tag this offseason hanging over him.

Keuchel relies on his defense plenty, but with a solid D behind him, he can be a tremendous starter as he'll go deep each time out.