Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Rick Stelmaszek fired

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

it seems an odd place to start to me.

It would appear the changes are coming as each is meeting with Mr. Ryan, so Stelly was first to meet.

#22 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

What I find interesting is they didn't even wait until the organizational meetings started. This has obviously been in the works for some time now.

New staff on board for org meetings so they can move forward immediately on plans, I would think.

#23 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

I wonder if the Red Wing job could go to Redmond?

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#24 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,884 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

I will be interested in learning Gardenhire's spin on the coaching changes as they emerge. At some point, a manager says "hey, these are MY guys". I guess Gardy isn't going to go to the mat for them.

#25 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

I will be interested in learning Gardenhire's spin on the coaching changes as they emerge. At some point, a manager says "hey, these are MY guys". I guess Gardy isn't going to go to the mat for them.

Ah, but the "Triumverate" of Gardenhire - Anderson - Ullger looks like it may remain intact.

More's the pity. I think he may have sacrificed the edges to save the core. We'll have to see if that's the way it plays out.

#26 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

Master of the Obvious

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

I was thinking Ullger is named manager at Rochester.

#27 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

They were speculating on the radio that Jake Mauer might get it.

#28 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

I assume Ullger and Andy will follow Gardy to his next gig following the '13 season.

#29 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Ah, but the "Triumverate" of Gardenhire - Anderson - Ullger looks like it may remain intact.

More's the pity. I think he may have sacrificed the edges to save the core. We'll have to see if that's the way it plays out.

You make it sound like this is a ploy to pacify the fans while not making real changes:).

I think you are correct, though, that Anderson's job is probably safe. My guess is the reason for letting Stelmaszek go was they wanted to bring Cuellar up and needed a spot for him, and Stellie was considered more expendable than Anderson.

#30 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'd love to see Molly replace Ullger as bench coach

Edited by ScottyB, 04 October 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#31 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

You make it sound like this is a ploy to pacify the fans while not making real changes:).

I think you are correct, though, that Anderson's job is probably safe. My guess is the reason for letting Stelmaszek go was they wanted to bring Cuellar up and needed a spot for him, and Stellie was considered more expendable than Anderson.

Well, you know I'm a cynic about this. I actually think it has to do with the fact that Gardenhire and Anderson have been together "forever". Not sure of how long his history is with Ullger but it is definitely longer on the major league team than it is with Vavra.

#32 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 6,975 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

An organization that employs Scott Ullger doesn't deserve to win.

#33 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

So can we assume Cuellar will be more involved in grooming pitchers than Stelly? I don't think he should be wasted baby-sitting the guys in the pen instead of teaching the guys one step away from the MLB rotation. If he's going to be used essentially as co-pitching coach with Anderson, I think it's a great idea. I proposed earlier the Twins should have two hitting coaches to provide enough time to breaking down tape and refining the hitting approaches of the many young hitters. The same would be a good idea with the pitchers.

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,863 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

So rather than have cuelleler work with young guys, he will now work with older guys that pitch 60 innings a year? Seems an odd use of a valuable resource. It also seems like scapegoating to me to fire the bullpen coach.

#35 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

the only one actually fired is Liddle, correct?

#36 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

the only one actually fired is Liddle, correct?

Technically no one was fired, but both Stelly and Liddle are not having their contracts renewed for 2013.

#37 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

There you go. No one's feelings are hurt but I only wonder if 2013 will be a punt

#38 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

"Ah, but the "Triumverate" of Gardenhire - Anderson - Ullger looks like it may remain intact."

It would appear so. It may be time for a contest to name the three ____________ examples are: little pigs, kings, amigos, blind mice, horsemen, musketeers, wise-men and my favorite stooges!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#39 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

They were speculating on the radio that Jake Mauer might get it.

Jeff Smith deserves it more than Jake.

#40 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

[quote name='Mr. Ed'][quote name='sbknudson'][quote name='Winston Smith']I wonder if the Red Wing job could go to Redmond?[/QUOTE]

They were speculating on the radio that Jake Mauer might get it.[/QUOTE]

Jeff Smith deserves it more than Jake.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, according to R&M, Smith is not thought of as highly in the organization and is unlikely to be advanced beyond where he is now.