Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: It’s Time to Start Trusting Tyler Duffey in High Leverage Situations

tyler duffey minnesota twins minnesota twins bullpen
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,575 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:04 AM

I think this article is a little behind the times. Duffey's three highest-leverage appearances have all been in the month of June. Two successes, one fail IMO (whether or not the runs counted as earned). 21 batters faced in those 3 games, 12 outs recorded. Jury's out, I'd say, but it's not been stellar.

His OPS is better than league average, and for relievers I find that a simpler way to assess results than to pick through unearned runs and inherited runners and so forth. I guess the braintrust noticed too, and decided to start testing him a little more when it matters, about three weeks ago.

• jz7233 likes this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#22 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:06 AM

I think this article is a little behind the times. Duffey's three highest-leverage appearances have all been in the month of June. Two successes, one fail IMO (whether or not the runs counted as earned). 21 batters faced in those 3 games, 12 outs recorded. Jury's out, I'd say, but it's not been stellar.

His OPS is better than league average, and for relievers I find that a simpler way to assess results than to pick through unearned runs and inherited runners and so forth. I guess the braintrust noticed too, and decided to start testing him a little more when it matters, about three weeks ago.

Has Duffey gotten a few high leverage appearances this month? Yes. But let's break down these appearances real quick.

The most recent one was the 17 inning Red Sox game. Literally all 8 of the pitchers in the Twins bullpen pitched in a high leverage situation in this game, and Duffey only got in after Rogers, May and Harper had already been used.

Another one was the Mariners game on June 12th, where the Twins had already turned to Morin, May and Parker in important spots before they went to Duffey. Also Rogers was unavailable due to his back issue.

The other high leverage spot was on June 7th against Detroit. A game in which both Rogers and May were unavailable due to high pitch counts in the previous two days. So the Twins had to turn to Morin, Harper, Duffey and Parker for high leverage innings in this game.

The rest of Duffey's outings have been in very low leverage spots when the Twins were down by a few runs, or had a huge lead.

To me it looks like Duffey has only been used in high leverage spots out of necessity, and not because the Twins actually wanted him pitching there.

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

#23 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:17 PM

We'll know we have a solid bullpen when Duffy and May are the 6th and 7th options. Like Pineda - who makes a decent #5 - but would be a poor #2 or #3.
We'll know we have a solid bullpen when we stop discussing Duffy or May for high leverage roles. They are decent bullpen fillers. That's it.
Its become obvious the front office did not anticipate being buyers this year and being this good. If they knew we'd be this good, Ryan Pressly would be our closer. We'd have never flipped him for some future magic beans. Never. Front office malpractice if they had any clue we'd be in this thing in 2019. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyler duffey, minnesota twins, minnesota twins bullpen