Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Need Sellers

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

It's June 23 and it's interesting across the MLB fruited plain. 

Looking at the standings... There are only 7 clear sellers at the moment.  

Seattle, Detroit, Toronto, Kansas City, Baltimore, San Francisco and Miami. 

I'm sure that some others will join the list as time marches on but currently I'd guess this isn't good news for those who'd like to pay lower prospect prices. 

• glunn, Blake, Twins33 and 4 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#2 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,061 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

Better jump in early before all the good ones are gone.

• Tomj14, Aerodeliria and jz7233 like this

#3 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,121 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

It's June 23 and it's interesting across the MLB fruited plain. 

Looking at the standings... There are only 7 clear sellers at the moment.  

Seattle, Detroit, Toronto, Kansas City, Baltimore, San Francisco and Miami. 

I'm sure that some others will join the list as time marches on but currently I'd guess this isn't good news for those who'd like to pay lower prospect prices. 

Cellar Dweller sellers?

#4 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

Orioles:

Here is a look at who they could try to sell: Ranked based on MY OPINION of each players individual value/Cost to acquire. 

Mancini - Arb 1 Next Season - They don't need to trade him but he is the player who brings back the most in return. The Orioles are tearing it down... Mancini speeds the process along. Price will be high but he is talented enough with 3 years of control so maybe someone pays it. If they don't pay it... keep him in an Orioles uniform until they do. 

Bundy - Arb 2 Next Season - I could see them trading him for the right deal and keeping him if they don't get the right deal. One of those players who you might watch figure it out for another club after you sold low. 

Villar - Arb 3 Next Season - They gotta trade someone for prospects... They should sell him to the highest bidder. 

Givens - Arb 2 Next Season - They gotta trade someone for prospects... they should trade him to the highest bidder. 

Cashner - Rental - Vesting option at 340 Innings over the past 2 years. He needs 107 more innings for the option to trigger and I don't believe that will happen. Baltimore is in a deep rebuild, they don't want to pay the 10 million next year. Price should be cheap. 

Please take the contract off our Hands:

Chris Davis - 3/69 - They would have to eat a significant portion of the contract. Stuck in Baltimore. 

Anyone tickle your interest for our Twins. If So, which teams will be bidding against us. 

I'd ask about Bundy and Givens. 

• glunn, Blake, ChrisKnutson and 1 other like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

Blue Jays:

Here is a look at who they could try to sell: Ranked based on MY OPINION of each players individual value/Cost to acquire.

Stroman: Arb 4 - Could trade at the deadline, could wait for the off-season. 

Giles: Arb 3 - Could trade at the deadline, could wait for the off-season.

Sanchez Arb 3 - Could trade at the deadline, could wait for the off-season. Does it matter? He doesn't seem to be the same Sanchez of years past. 

Hudson: Rental - Gotta be on the Block - No way he stays in Toronto. 

Phelps - Rental or 3 Million Option Next Season - He just came back. Been on the DL since 2017. Gotta watch him a little and take measurement. Early reports have been encouraging. 

Galvis - Rental or 5.5 Million Option Next Season. Did he find something... is it worth 5.5 Million or is he just a rental. 

Smoak - Rental 

Richard - Rental (Almost no value whatsoever)

Please take the contract off our hands:

Grichuk 4/44 - Production just doesn't match the length or the money committed (in my opinion). 

Anyone tickle your interest for our Twins. If So, which teams will be bidding against us.

I'd ask about Stroman, Giles, Hudson, Phelps and Sanchez in that order. 

• glunn and Blake like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#6 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,657 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:31 PM

Work a trade with the Giants. They have what we want/need.

• glunn, Blake, Doomtints and 2 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,487 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

Giles, Will Smith, and Matt Boyd. That's who I want. 

• glunn, Kelly Vance, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:48 PM

Tigers:

Boyd - Arb 2 - Not just 1 year but 2 years of control after this season. Price should be high but the Tigers should get offers and they should cash in at this trade deadline in my opinion. 

Norris - Arb 2 Next Season - Could trade at the deadline, could wait for the off-season, could keep him until he reaches free agency. 

Greene - Arb 3 Next Season - No reason for the Tigers to keep him. If they want prospects and they should. They gotta move someone who will bring some back. 

Castellanos - Rental - No way he stays in Detroit. I'm surprised he wasn't dealt last off season. 

Zimmerman - 1/25 - Just one more year of that contract to go. Young pitching on the way. Could be a mentor to those young arms. 

Cabrera - 5/154 - He is already broken down physically. Stuck in Detroit. 

I'd ask about Boyd, Norris and Greene. 

• glunn and Blake like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#9 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,252 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:17 PM

Angels are 4 games back of WC and have lost 3 straight. With Texas and Oakland between them and Cleveland/Boston/Tampa it’s not looking good for them. A couple losses in the division and they’re done.

I’m really intrigued by Griffin Canning. He was drafted out of college in 2017 and has excellent K and Bb rates. With small sample size, little experience there’s not a lot known about him.

Considering they have Mike Trout and are still in perpetual rebuild limbo, maybe Rooker and pitching prospect (Thorpe/Gonsalves) would do it. I’m sure they’d ask for Kirilloff and Graterol, but with all the questions about Canning, I’d just as soon promote Graterol.
  • glunn and Aerodeliria like this

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:22 PM

Angels are 4 games back of WC and have lost 3 straight. With Texas and Oakland between them and Cleveland/Boston/Tampa it’s not looking good for them. A couple losses in the division and they’re done.

I’m really intrigued by Griffin Canning. He was drafted out of college in 2017 and has excellent K and Bb rates. With small sample size, little experience there’s not a lot known about him.

Considering they have Mike Trout and are still in perpetual rebuild limbo, maybe Rooker and pitching prospect (Thorpe/Gonsalves) would do it. I’m sure they’d ask for Kirilloff and Graterol, but with all the questions about Canning, I’d just as soon promote Graterol.

Why would the Angels be trading away a 23 yr old first year player who looks like part of the future?

• SQUIRREL, glunn, Blake and 8 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#11 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

Royals:

Merrifield - 3/14.5 - GM says he will be expensive. His age may limit the number of teams willing to pay the expense. 

Soler - 1/4+Arb 4 - He's finding his power stroke. 2 Year of control. 

Duffy - 2/30.75 - Could trade at the deadline, could wait for the off-season.

Bailey - Rental - Started terribly but has been fantastic in his last 4 starts.

Hamilton - Rental (7.5 Million Mutual Option) - Someone will want that speed for the playoffs. Maybe the Twins?

Diekman - Rental (5.75 Mutual Option) - Hittable with a high K/9 so maybe fixable? 

Boxberger - Rental - Can't see him staying in KC

Peralta - Rental (7M Mutual Option) - Can't see him staying in KC

Maldanado - Rental - Who needs a catcher? 

Gordon - Rental (23 million mutual option that only the Royals would consider). Think Mauer when you think Gordon. He is the Joe Mauer of the Kansas City Royals. No way he is traded. 

Kennedy - 1/16.5 - He would be a high priced reliever at this point and he could be converted back to the rotation. Either way... The Royals would have to eat some contract to get decent prospect value in return. He is interesting enough that he may not belong here. 

I'd ask about: Duffy, Diekman, Peralta and kick the tires on both Hamilton and Kennedy.  

• glunn likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:31 PM

Said this about a week or so ago: Ian Kennedy would be a nice addition to the Twins pen. Take on some of the salary and he'd be nearly free.

• glunn, Blake, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

Mariners:

Santana: Arb 2 - If they want prospects and they should - They might get one or two for Domingo. 

Elias: Arb 2 - Smart move converting him to closer/bullpen, probably increased his value in the process

Leake: 1/15 (mutual option 18m) - Equal parts not amazing/not terrible. 

Gordon: 1/13.8 (Vesting Option 18M 600 ab's next season) - His speed might be interesting for a playoff club but probably not at that price.

Beckham: Arb 4 - Can't see him staying in Seattle. Someone will pick him up for depth. 

Gearrin: Rental

LeBlanc: Rental

Seager - 2/38 - Kyle hasn't been Kyle for a while. Seattle would probably love to move the contract and their are less and less takers each day. 

King Felix - Rental - He retires or signs a minor league deal next year. No point in trading him. 

I'd ask about: Elias 

• glunn likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#14 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,252 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

Why would the Angels be trading away a 23 yr old first year player who looks like part of the future?

agreed, it’s a long shot. You could say that about a lot of the team. They’re a young team. With that obscene Trout deal, they’ll need to stay young and bolster that offense. Turning one building block into two might be enough.
  • glunn likes this

#15 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

Marlins:

Romo - Rental - Only injury will prevent him from being on another roster in August. 

Castro - Rental - I'll be surprised if he is still with the Marlins in August

Prado - Rental - I'll be surprised if he is still with the Marlins in August 

Walker - Rental - 50/50 on if anyone is interested or anyone cares. 

Chen - 1/22 (16M Vesting Option - 180 IP next season)

I'd ask about: Romo

• glunn likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

Giants:

Bumgarner: Rental - They need young players, prospects and they got to purge this roster in order to start fresh. I'd be shocked if he isn't in a different uniform in August. They don't have a lot of clean chips to acquire youth. 

Smith: Rental - Shocked if he isn't in a different uniform in August. 

Dyson: Arb 4 - Could trade now, Could wait until the off season. 

Watson: Rental (2.5M Player Option) - Shocked if he isn't in a differen uniform in August. 

Samardjiza: 1/19.8 - He's been better this year but still not good enough for nearly 20 million a year.

Melencon: 1/14 - Better this year but he's got to be a lot better to over come how bad he had been. 

Posey: 2/44.3 - I hate to put Posey in this Category but he's getting up there in age and his production suggests that he is getting up there in age. 

Crawford: 2/34.4 - 

Longoria: 2/34 - 

Belt: 2/32: Still not sure how he got this contract in the first place. 

I'd ask about: Smith, Dyson, Watson and Kick tires on Bumgarner because I'm worried about the rental price. 

• glunn likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#17 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 569 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

Marlins:

Romo - Rental - Only injury will prevent him from being on another roster in August. 

Castro - Rental - I'll be surprised if he is still with the Marlins in August

Prado - Rental - I'll be surprised if he is still with the Marlins in August 

Walker - Rental - 50/50 on if anyone is interested or anyone cares. 

Chen - 1/22 (16M Vesting Option - 180 IP next season)

I'd ask about: Romo

What about Tayron Guerrero??
  • glunn likes this

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:56 PM

What about Tayron Guerrero??

He’d be the type of player they would want to acquire in a trade. They already have him.
  • glunn likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#19 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

If I was the Angels... I’d tear it down leaving just Trout and Ohtani to build around. Everybody else would be moved for Canning type players.

The Angels keep trying to buy it and it is never enough.
  • glunn, Sconnie and Aerodeliria like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#20 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,252 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:10 PM

If I was the Angels... I’d tear it down leaving just Trout and Ohtani to build around. Everybody else would be moved for Canning type players.

The Angels keep trying to buy it and it is never enough.

yeah, everyone wants someone like Canning. Kinda the point. I’m sure the Angels would love to trade away Matt Harvey and Jonathon Lucroy, not much value to be gotten back in return.
  • glunn likes this