Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 8, KC 7: Losing Streak Snapped Again

taylor rogers c.j. cron miguel sano eddie rosario max kepler
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,176 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:07 AM

This may be the right course of action too. He really needs to work on his plate discipline. Sending him down when Marwin returns to see if he needs a couple weeks in AAA to get his head straight might not be a bad idea.

The Twins have Options. Sano has an Option so yeah AAA becomes an Option. 

I'd allow him a little time to work through it but that has a moment of reckoning down the road if it doesn't change.  

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#42 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

Sano needs to get the Ks under control. He can still play and be a useful player, but 3-4Ks per game is not sustainable. He's got to start making better contact and working the zone again to get more walks. It's great that he''s still hitting some HRs and the power is still there, but he's become very one dimensional now, and thats not good enough. But I agree: not a lot of good options until Gonzalez or Adrianza return.

CJ Cron has been an outstanding addition this year. He had a slower start to the year, has had a few dry spells, but he's come out of them quickly enough and having a very good year at the plate. And the D is better than advertised. Really pleased with Cron, he's going to be a tough decision next year I think. And gotta tell ya: not missing Tyler Austin. Is anyone?

• 70charger, Original Whizzinator and rdehring like this

#43 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,141 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

Players with 5 years service time can refuse any optional assignment, even if they technically have options remaining.

Of course, you are right! Thanks for the correction.

#44 carlito_b

carlito_b

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:01 AM

Baseball is hard to play. Especially when you miss the entire spring training. Sano still has a beyond respectable ops and has hit two 8th inning home runs in big spots. I don't see the problem even with the slump his ops is over 800. I feel like that in itself is really all that needs to be said

#45 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,215 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:07 AM

A trend I notice every single year... If a player starts their season hot, fans give them all the leash in the world when they slump. Simply because their overall numbers still look okay.

If a player starts ice cold like Brian Dozier, fans bitch and moan and want them gone. They don't notice until the end of the year, oh, their overall numbers aren't so bad.
  • Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

#46 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:08 AM

Of course, I'm also concerned about Perez, but he's still striking out batters right and left. He's gets in trouble when he walks guys. To be fair, the error by Polanco helped to blow up the first inning. He really only made one awful pitch in the sixth; the problem, as is always the case with him, was the freeloaders on 1st and 2nd. It's a conundrum.

It seems true of all the starters.  I know it can't be true but it seems like every time the other team has a crooked number you can look back and see at least one walk as a key to the damage. I am not as infatuated as some with strikeouts.I do hate the walks. Doesn't seem like it should have this much impact but if Perez keeps it to 2-3 walks per 9 he is fine and just not very good when it is at 4 walks per 9.I guess if extra walk scores every time it adds 1.00 to his ERA.

• PDX Twin likes this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#47 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,215 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

It seems true of all the starters. I know it can't be true but it seems like every time the other team has a crooked number you can look back and see at least one walk as a key to the damage. I am not as infatuated as some with strikeouts. I do hate the walks. Doesn't seem like it should have this much impact but if Perez keeps it to 2-3 walks per 9 he is fine and just not very good when it is at 4 walks per 9. I guess if extra walk scores every time it adds 1.00 to his ERA.

I dont think it's so much the actual walk, as what the additional walk(s) say about command.

If you're missing outside the strike zone, you're most likely missing inside the strike zone as well. And those pitches down the middle are the ones that can really cause damage.

Last night, for example, the leaded walk in the 5th hurt, but no more than a lead off single. It was the cookie to Cuthbert that really did the damage. If that pitch is on a corner, it's a lazy fly out.
  • PDX Twin likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#48 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

Stopppppppppp it with this .850 OPS stuff.

Over the past 28 days, Sano has a .709 OPS and a .198 batting average. He's not playing well and literally struck out in 80% of his plate appearances last night.

I totally agree Brock. 

I'd be curious to see Sano's stats since his injury in 2017. 

I'd be shocked if he was hitting .200 and was not striking out less than 40% of the time.

I really want Sano to be successful but the reality is he may never be the player he was prior to his injury.

• PDX Twin likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#49 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:47 AM

OK.Sano ended up hitting an important home run.BUT I think he needs to be sent down for a while to work on things.In the last 7 games he has played in he has had 25 at bats with only 3 hits.Admittedly 2 of the 3 were home runs.He only walked 4 times and had 17 strike outs!!!You can throw in one error during that time too.You have to begin to wonder even with his power "potential" if he is more liability than asset.

Miggie needs to get back to basics.He pulls his head a lot. Maybe get him to hit the ball up the middle for a while might help with that.

#50 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

Rogers should have started the 9th, Harper should've finished the 8th, or at least gotten 1 or 2 outs.

Wrong. When a reliever gives up a homer and then a hard hit ball he doesn't have it. It was the right move to pull him. You go with what works.

#51 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,677 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:57 AM

I agree that Sanó has been bad since the start of the Twins homestand and one homer, even in a big spot, doesn't make up for all of the failed at-bats. The Twins have a nine game lead and a very good offense, so they can afford to be patient with Sanó. Another couple of weeks of regular play with give Miguel about 150 plate appearances. If the OPS drops below league average, then it might be time to consider a trip to Rochester. 

#52 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

I dont think it's so much the actual walk, as what the additional walk(s) say about command.

If you're missing outside the strike zone, you're most likely missing inside the strike zone as well. And those pitches down the middle are the ones that can really cause damage.

Last night, for example, the leaded walk in the 5th hurt, but no more than a lead off single. It was the cookie to Cuthbert that really did the damage. If that pitch is on a corner, it's a lazy fly out.

Yes, I focus on the walks but its two sides of the same coin.The difference between 4 walks per 9 and 2.5 walks per 9 doesn't seem like so much but it speaks volumes in terms of command, how batters will approach their at bats, how umpires call the game and everything else that goes with it.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taylor rogers, c.j. cron, miguel sano, eddie rosario, max kepler