Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 8, KC 7: Losing Streak Snapped Again

taylor rogers c.j. cron miguel sano eddie rosario max kepler
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,206 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:16 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's out of options, the only way would be to fake an injury

He has an option. 

You are corrected.:)

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#22 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 642 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:17 AM

Yesterday was Friday, June 21 and it was the 75th game of the year.The Twins are now 46%of the way through the season.Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 23rd on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 309 home runs this season.

• USAFChief and birdwatcher like this

#23 Linus

Linus

• 2,258 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:24 AM

I’m happy for Sano. I’m critical of him but want him to succeed. I’m sure this stretch hasn’t been fun so maybe the homer will allow him to relax a little

#24 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:54 AM

The level of Sano induced insanity has hit an all-time high. He hit a home run in a massive spot to tie the game....and his demotion is called for. Despite a rough patch, he’s still OPSing .850. Astudillo is barely OPSing .600, and the same people are ready to put his number next Mauer’s on the limestone. Taking a step back and thinking about it....it’s comical.

It’s very similar to the obsession with Trump right now. Reality is thrown out the window. Facts mean nothing. It’s hysteria.

Edited by Darius, 22 June 2019 - 06:56 AM.

• Mike Sixel and carlito_b like this

#25 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,024 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:04 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's out of options, the only way would be to fake an injury

Sano has actually 2 options remaining so he could be sent down.

Problem is with Adrianza and Marwin Gonzales on the shelf, the Twins would have to bring up a guy on the 40-man roster who can play 3rd base. The only guy on the 40 who could even think about filling in would be Nick Gordon. Do you want to call up Nick Gordon to play 3rd base for a handful of games in his MLB debut?

Actually I kinda would like that haha! But I am pretty sure the Twins would not.

I'm super concerned about Sano just like everyone else. His homerun was absolutely the difference in last night's game but honestly he's looked absolutely lost. Although that K in the 9th inning featured 2 terrible strike calls against him...but I just don't see how you can play a guy going through a slump like this. Sano makes Joey Gallo look like Tony Gwynn.

I'm way more concerned about Perez. It's pretty clear that his early season success was indeed a fluke and he's back to being that pitcher who pitched to the tune of a 6.62 ERA last year in Texas. The Twins can't trade him, and can't move him to the bullpen as he wouldn't help there. I checked and it appears that Perez isn't out of options, so I think the logical move would be to send him down as soon as the Twins trade for help. Bumgardner fill his shoes nicely.

#26 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,024 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:14 AM

The level of Sano induced insanity has hit an all-time high. He hit a home run in a massive spot to tie the game....and his demotion is called for. Despite a rough patch, he’s still OPSing .850. Astudillo is barely OPSing .600, and the same people are ready to put his number next Mauer’s on the limestone. Taking a step back and thinking about it....it’s comical.

It’s very similar to the obsession with Trump right now. Reality is thrown out the window. Facts mean nothing. It’s hysteria.

I think it's best to keep this board politics-free, there are lots of places we can talk about Trump, Bernie, and Biden but I'd rather not see it here on TwinsDaily. I think we can all agree to that.

• 70charger, Dman, adorduan and 2 others like this

#27 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 609 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

Yesterday was Friday, June 21 and it was the 75th game of the year. The Twins are now 46% of the way through the season. Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 23rd on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 309 home runs this season.

Thanks!

#28 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 755 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:20 AM

I think the previous post was intended to be sarcasm

Maybe. I think there is a chance he was serious. I don't know what to think.

#29 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,469 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:32 AM

Would ripping players in the postgame help the team win more games? If so. Do it.

I don’t think it helps and if anything makes it harder to work with a player. With social media a manager’s words are immediately available and easily repeated. That wasn’t the case when Gardenhire started managing. I think Rocco has this part figured out.
  • Riverbrian and wabene like this

#30 adorduan

adorduan

• 688 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:35 AM

2 more errors in the game.... not good.

#31 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 609 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:37 AM

Sano has actually 2 options remaining so he could be sent down.

Problem is with Adrianza and Marwin Gonzales on the shelf, the Twins would have to bring up a guy on the 40-man roster who can play 3rd base. The only guy on the 40 who could even think about filling in would be Nick Gordon. Do you want to call up Nick Gordon to play 3rd base for a handful of games in his MLB debut?

Actually I kinda would like that haha! But I am pretty sure the Twins would not.

I'm super concerned about Sano just like everyone else. His homerun was absolutely the difference in last night's game but honestly he's looked absolutely lost. Although that K in the 9th inning featured 2 terrible strike calls against him...but I just don't see how you can play a guy going through a slump like this. Sano makes Joey Gallo look like Tony Gwynn.

I'm way more concerned about Perez. It's pretty clear that his early season success was indeed a fluke and he's back to being that pitcher who pitched to the tune of a 6.62 ERA last year in Texas. The Twins can't trade him, and can't move him to the bullpen as he wouldn't help there. I checked and it appears that Perez isn't out of options, so I think the logical move would be to send him down as soon as the Twins trade for help. Bumgardner fill his shoes nicely.

Of course, I'm also concerned about Perez, but he's still striking out batters right and left. He's gets in trouble when he walks guys. To be fair, the error by Polanco helped to blow up the first inning. He really only made one awful pitch in the sixth; the problem, as is always the case with him, was the freeloaders on 1st and 2nd. It's a conundrum.

Edited by Aerodeliria, 22 June 2019 - 07:38 AM.

• Dantes929 and Thebigalguy like this

#32 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,465 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:47 AM

Another less than stellar start by our pitcher.Gotta expect all three will get back on track, hopefully soon.And considering all the innings pitched, the bullpen hasn't been all that bad.Only problem is Berrios better go 7 or 8 today cause Rogers will probably be unavailable.

It is clear to me that the MVP of this team is Buxton.There is no question it is a different team when he isn't out in center field and raising havoc from the #9 spot in the order.How different will this team be defensively (Kepler in right) and offensively with Buxton at #9 and Cave in Rochester?Very different, at least in my opinion.

• bighat and wabene like this

#33 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,290 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

Over his last five starts, Perez’s ERA has gone from 2.95 to 4.28.

24 IP, 20 earned runs.
  • Danchat and bighat like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,868 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

Stopppppppppp it with this .850 OPS stuff.

Over the past 28 days, Sano has a .709 OPS and a .198 batting average. He's not playing well and literally struck out in 80% of his plate appearances last night.

• USAFChief, Danchat, PDX Twin and 3 others like this

#35 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,206 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:24 AM

Would ripping players in the postgame help the team win more games? If so. Do it.

I don’t think it helps and if anything makes it harder to work with a player. With social media a manager’s words are immediately available and easily repeated. That wasn’t the case when Gardenhire started managing. I think Rocco has this part figured out.

Agreed

Rocco can’t rake his players over the coals publicly. And the reason is our fault and not his.

We simply don’t know how to behave with the information.
  • Craig Arko, 70charger and Thebigalguy like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#36 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,206 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:34 AM

Stopppppppppp it with this .850 OPS stuff.

Over the past 28 days, Sano has a .709 OPS and a .198 batting average. He's not playing well and literally struck out in 80% of his plate appearances last night.

Agreed

And this could turn into a hot streak later so you keep working with him.

It’s awesome that we have 11 other players who potentially contribute so Sano doesn’t kill us.

All Rocco has to do at the moment is just play Sano a little less and keep working with him.

If Sano doesn’t snap out of it. We have the option to use. We got until 2022 to make a decision on him.

There is currently no reason at all to rush to judgement.
  • Dantes929, Craig Arko, bighat and 3 others like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#37 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:40 AM

I checked and it appears that Perez isn't out of options, so I think the logical move would be to send him down as soon as the Twins trade for help. Bumgardner fill his shoes nicely.

Players with 5 years service time can refuse any optional assignment, even if they technically have options remaining.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#38 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,487 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:42 AM

the fact that we are winning games like this is a testimony to the offense. That said, we've been playing a lot of sloppy baseball of late. I really hope they can correct that at some point. The cracks are showing. 

• 70charger and Thebigalguy like this

#39 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,487 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:43 AM

He has an option. 

You are corrected.:)

This may be the right course of action too. He really needs to work on his plate discipline. Sending him down when Marwin returns to see if he needs a couple weeks in AAA to get his head straight might not be a bad idea.

• Riverbrian and wabene like this

#40 Thebigalguy

Thebigalguy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 58 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

I'm pleased we came back yet again on the strength of the offense, but a historic season will go the way of the dodo bird if the starting pitching (and sometimes relief pitching) keeps breaking down. How many times can the offense rescue a bad start? Every team has its collective slumps, of course, and the Twins aren't immune, but with the lineup in place this year, I think there's always one or two or three able to get on base or whack one out, so it's pitching that will make or break a post-season run. Perez has three of the better mentors in the game: Wes Johnson, Johan Santana, and Oddorizzi, who's taught him how to exploit the cutter. He's got to do better on a consistent basis. Gibby needs more consistency, though probably his mistake this time was not getting enough sleep after the 17-inning win because he wanted to party with the boys of summer. Oddorizzi has the right to a sub-par start with the season he's had, though afterwards he seemed truculent that the Royals had the good sense to work the count and hit singles instead of swinging for the downs. They might have discovered a weakness in a pitcher who's never broken a radar gun. Time will tell. The bottom line, though, is that the Twins are way good enough to beat the sub-.500 teams more often than not, but aren't ready with pitching to take on the Yanks, Astros, Sox, and one or two other teams they'll need  to beat in the postseason to make it to the promised land, where, if there's no cheating, they'll be free at last, free at last, free at last.

• rdehring likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taylor rogers, c.j. cron, miguel sano, eddie rosario, max kepler