Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/21): Brent Rooker is Burning

brent rooker alex schick randy dobnak charles mack trevor larnach
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:13 AM

I don't think Rooker will play the outfield in a MLB game.

I’ve seen Robbie Grossman, Marwin Gonzalez and Willans Astudillo do it the past two years. I think you’re overestimating what’s expected from the back up outfielders.
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht likes this

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,661 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

I don't think Rooker will play the outfield in a MLB game.

He's played nowhere but LF this season (except for a little DH). We've seen some head scratching choices for our AAA players, but it still would seem very odd to do it this way unless the braintrust sees him playing some in the outfield when he is called up.

The one game I saw of him in person, nothing remarkable comes to mind. He'll apparently make the routine plays.

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

Probably worth noting that his K rate presently sits around 37%... That's Sano territory, and he's in AAA.

If I've learned anything this year, OPS is literally the only thing that matters... His OPS is 1.002! Nothing to see here... Honestly, I'm disappointed he's not striking out more.
  • diehardtwinsfan and Tom Froemming like this

#24 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

He's played nowhere but LF this season (except for a little DH). We've seen some head scratching choices for our AAA players, but it still would seem very odd to do it this way unless the braintrust sees him playing some in the outfield when he is called up.

The one game I saw of him in person, nothing remarkable comes to mind. He'll apparently make the routine plays.

Sounds like they should be and have Rooker play some RF in AAA to see if he can handle it. 

It would make him more valuable to the big league squad.

• nicksaviking likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:43 AM

I don't think you should worry about options for someone Rooker's age. The forty man? That's a possible concern. His numbers are crazy good right now.
  • Dman likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#26 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,661 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

Honestly, I'm disappointed he's not striking out more.

Now THAT'S a hot-take straight from the ovens! :)

• Vanimal46, Tom Froemming and Original Whizzinator like this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#27 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:51 AM

I know he’s been on fire lately, but I have an honest question, is Rooker a trade chip for better pitching or a building block for the future??

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

Now THAT'S a hot-take straight from the ovens! :)

He's got a ton of wiggle room to strike out and still maintain an OPS in the 800s! Though I never asked other fans when it's okay to comment about a player's faults... Is it once their OPS dips below 775?

#29 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:00 AM

Rooker is slashing .409/.556/.742 in June. That's just nasty.

He struck out around half the time in April and May; he also dealt with some injury issues during that time. In June, his K rate has dropped dramatically, almost in half. And his walk rate has more than tripled. Small sample size, but Rooker might be getting himself back onto the prospect radar.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#30 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

Looks like top prospect Royce Lewis has hit the basll well this past week. Any reports on why the sudden improvement from earlier in the year?

#31 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

Buxton will be back on Tuesday... they could call Rooker up for 3 days, but he'd have to be added to the 40 man (and someone DFAd)... they could just call up Wade and send down Cave... Of course, Wade didn't hit anywhere close to as well as Wade in AAA. 

I know that it doesn't really make sense for Rooker to come up for 3 days, assuming of course that Buxton is healthy enough to play by Tuesday, however it's just painful watching Cave hit right now. Almost as painful as watching Astudillo play right field. 

#32 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:24 PM

For me, a guy to watch is Rijo at Cedar Rapids. Saw his previous start in person, and he brings 95 96 regularly. As I recall he gave up 1 hit in 5 or 6 innings that night, and here’s another good start. Big league stuff.

#33 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:48 PM

Anyone else see similarities between Rooker and Cron from an offensive standpoint?  

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#34 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

Curious why you chose Schick as Pitcher of the Day over Rijo who threw 5 shutout innings with only 1 hit? 

I'm always impressed when a pitcher manages to work around that bonus runner starting on second base in extra innings. Such a high-pressure situation already, dropping a guy in scoring position into the mix ratchets everything up even more. For Schick to wiggle out of that for not just one, but two innings is a big accomplishment to me.

• Dman likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#35 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,912 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

I'm always impressed when a pitcher manages to work around that bonus runner starting on second base in extra innings. Such a high-pressure situation already, dropping a guy in scoring position into the mix ratchets everything up even more. For Schick to wiggle out of that for not just one, but two innings is a big accomplishment to me.

I keep forgetting about that rule... makes some sense.

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,912 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

Rooker is slashing .409/.556/.742 in June. That's just nasty.

He struck out around half the time in April and May; he also dealt with some injury issues during that time. In June, his K rate has dropped dramatically, almost in half. And his walk rate has more than tripled. Small sample size, but Rooker might be getting himself back onto the prospect radar.

yeah, he does this too.... seems it takes some time for him to flail away at pitches he cannot hit until he eventually adjusts and lets them go. I think he'll be a good major leaguer for what that's worth... but I go back to the point that I suspect his firsts couple months in the bigs will be nothing short of brutal. Hope I'm wrong (about the second part).

Almost makes me wonder if the add him a year early in September just to give him a look if the team has the playoffs wrapped up. That would be a bit unorthodox, but a way to get him some MLB time when the team can afford cycles to develop him a bit.

#37 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

First time I have noticed the name Luis Rijo. Hmm. ... some impressive stats in these recent games. What would be his approximate prospect ranking at this point? Is he a pitcher to keep an eye on?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brent rooker, alex schick, randy dobnak, charles mack, trevor larnach