Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Minor League Report (6/20): Rooker and Royce Heating Up

royce lewis brent rooker ricky de la torre bryan sammons blayne enlow
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

Especially considering he destroyed double-A before that.

Gordon has a .787 OPS at the AA level in over 750 PA. Fine...but not exactly destroying the league. He was .906 in a small sample in 2018 before being promoted to AAA...primarily, because he showed the ability to hit the ball over the fence with 5 HR in 180 PA. Now, after 556 PA at the AAA level, he still hasn't gotten to 5 HR.

Not to say that his results this season (still only 146 PA due to injuries) haven't been encouraging. They have been. While the offensive expectations have taken a hit, I agree he's still in a position to be a useful major-leaguer.

• Mike Sixel and spycake like this

#22 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:22 AM

Yeah, I wonder if a cortisone shot is worth it to get back in games at the AA level?

Missed the report that he's taking (took) cortisone shots to play yesterday.

I'm elated that he's finally back. But if it's enable by cortisone shots...that would be a head-scratcher, IMO. Had a wrist injury, comes back after missing over a month, only to re-injure it. Takes another 3 weeks off, and returns with the aid of cortisone shots? For thePensacola Blue Wahoos? There has to be some details we're missing.

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:16 PM

Missed the report that he's taking (took) cortisone shots to play yesterday.

All I know is that Danchat referenced the cortisone shot here:

http://twinsdaily.co...os/#entry863217

Seth referenced it here too:

http://twinsdaily.co...ew/#entry864583

• jkcarew likes this

#24 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

All I know is that Danchat referenced the cortisone shot here:

http://twinsdaily.co...os/#entry863217

Seth referenced it here too:

http://twinsdaily.co...ew/#entry864583

FWIW...I interpreted (assumed) those comments to refer to a shot (or shots) that were part of a rest/recovery regimen...not continuing or part of a game-prep routine. I would hope that's the case. I guess we'll see...I'll panic next time I see him K 3+ times in a game :)...that's what happened immediately prior to this last hiatus.

Edited by jkcarew, 21 June 2019 - 12:27 PM.

• spycake likes this

#25 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

Gordon handled high A ball pretty well, and he was 4 months younger than Lewis is now when he did it. He is 23, and had 1 hiccup in the second half of his first year at AAA. Otherwise he has more than held his own while competing with folks at least 2 years older than him on average. I do think latest greatest shiny new toys is a big part of popular rankings. He is not superstar material, but I’d be happy to see him and Arreaz battle it out for 2b next year while providing good trade value. As Seth said, he is a good ballplayer.
  • Doctor Wu likes this

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,174 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:24 PM

Same pattern as last year. I hope it's a 'getting adjusted to a new level' kind of thing and not a 'getting adjusted to the season/weather' kind of thing. I'm a Rooker fan, but if he ends up as a yearly staple on the 25-man, I hope he's not always struggling in April.

Pattern wise, Rooker has always struggled with a new level... He strikes out a lot during his first month or two until he acclimates. I don't think (so far at least) that it's an April thing... but this pattern has existed with every level he's played in... every single one.

He figures it out eventually, which is good, but I don't expect his major league debut to be pretty.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, brent rooker, ricky de la torre, bryan sammons, blayne enlow