Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: KC 4, MIN 1: Odorizzi, Offense Come Up Short

jake odorizzi c.j. cron kohl stewart
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,737 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:39 AM

No need to panic, we are just in a slump. The pitching is actually not been that bad, we just stopped hitting. A power hitting team like this is going to be prone to slumps in part because we don’t have the ability to manufacture runs very well. The one good thing that may come out of this little rough patch is that Arraez could get an extended look at both shortstop and second base. He seems to have the hit and on-base percentage tool that this lineup needs, so it would be great if you can field well enough to stay on the big club. I’m not sure who he replaces this year, but if you can actually play like this gives you some confidence that we have a second baseman/shortstop for next year when Schoop may very well be someplace else.
Cave is a classic young hitter with some talent. He’s very streaky and needs to get consistent playing time like he did last year to be effective. He is not going to get that consistent playing time on this team anytime soon unless there’s a major injury to someone. It would be great if we could get some value for it in a trade as part of a group sent for this picture. Best thing for both him and the team.

No need to panic, we are just in a slump. The pitching is actually not been that bad, we just start hitting. A power hitting team like this is going to be prone to slumps in part because we don’t have the ability to manufacture runs very well. The one good thing that may come out of this little rough patch is that Arraez could get an extended look at both shortstop and second base. He seems to have the kit and on-base percentage tool that this lineup needs, so it would be great if you can field well enough to stay at a big club. I’m not sure who he replaces this year, but if you can actually play like this gives you some confidence that we have a second baseman/shortstop for next year when Schoop may very well be someplace else.
Cave is a classic young hitter with some talent. He’s very streaky and needs to get consistent playing time like he did last year to be effective. He is not going to get that consistent playing time on this team anytime soon unless there’s a major injury to someone. It would be great if we could get some value for it in a trade as part of a group sent for this picture. Best thing for both him and the team.

#22 spycake

spycake

• 16,951 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

Cave is a classic young hitter with some talent. He’s very streaky and needs to get consistent playing time like he did last year to be effective.

Did you write the same about Danny Santana in 2015?

I expect Cave can improve his 2019 numbers simply by regressing to the mean, but if you're expecting him to get back to his 2018 numbers, more playing time will not help a batter maintain a high BABIP. If anything, it's the reverse, and we're seeing some of the effects of that now.

#23 Dman

Dman

• 1,684 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:19 AM

Pitching hasn't been as good and the whole lineup is pretty much slumping.If Cleveland wasn't playing so well I wouldn't care but would hate to this team reeled in by the All Star break. 

That being said I believe Houston has lost 4 in a row.The Yankee's have had tough stretches this year.Every team, even good teams go through these.Just hoping we can pull out of it sooner rather than later.

The Royals always seem to give us problems.Here's hoping we can break out.

• Riverbrian likes this

#24 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:24 AM

When a team scores a total of 9 runs in 4 games it makes any mistakes by pitching and defense more glaring. If the bats don't get back on track it really makes no difference. 5 runs is the bench mark and Twins haven't scored more than 4 in the past 4 games. This is a 4 game series and just a split is ok so lets just do it starting with tonight.

• Dantes929, Dman and Tom Froemming like this

#25 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• 264 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:12 AM

First real adversity this team has faced this year. Let's see how they respond

#26 TerwilligerBuntsOne

TerwilligerBuntsOne

Elizabethton Twins

• 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

The Twins were bound to cool off at some point.Minor injuries continue to pile up.The bats cooled off. The arms cooled off. The gloves turned to stone. All at the same time. It happens.

To me, the big issue is the number of injuries.I don't think that it is a coincidence that the roughest stretch (so far) in the season comes when Buxton and Gonzalez (and even Adrianza?!?!) are on the shelf.Suddenly, Rocco The Mad Genius has less flexibility when making out his lineup card. There have been very few games in which the actual A-lineup has been healthy.Meanwhile, Cave and The Turtle are almost forced to play every day at this point -- when neither should be an every day player for a playoff team.

The Twins will get through this stretch of games just fine.Get everyone healthy. Be patient. Add a couple of arms. The glass is still more than half full. 

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#27 adjacent

adjacent

• 241 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

Actually, what worries me the most of last night game is Garver. He has been excellent. I hoe is nothing, but those things in the heel or the foot are pesky.

#28 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:37 AM

I want what ever you are taking. I dont think either of those things are going to happen. I feeling Twins lose 8 to 3. 

Ok? Just because I wanted to make a prediction about a couple of players having good games you think I'm taking something. Next time just don't even reply to me. 

#29 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:32 PM

Byron Buxton is the most important everyday player on the team. There I said it. He is the best defensive player, the best base runner, and one of the few guys that can manufacture a run when the offense is struggling. The drop off from Buxton to Cave is huge, on both offense and defense, a bigger drop off than any other position. Add to that the fact that when he makes a great catch or turns a single into a double it seems to fire up the whole team. He's the one player we can't afford to lose for significant time. 

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,288 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:15 PM

Byron Buxton is the most important everyday player on the team. There I said it. He is the best defensive player, the best base runner, and one of the few guys that can manufacture a run when the offense is struggling. The drop off from Buxton to Cave is huge, on both offense and defense, a bigger drop off than any other position. Add to that the fact that when he makes a great catch or turns a single into a double it seems to fire up the whole team. He's the one player we can't afford to lose for significant time. 

I agree with you on the importance of Buxton. However, I disagree that 1 player can take this team down. (You may not have said that exactly). 

I think the offense in general was beyond incredible for awhile and simply bound to stabilize. I think it can heat up again and cool off again but all in all... it's going to be a good year offensively with or without Buxton. 

Besides... Buxton... I fear we will have to get use to losing him from time to time based on past history... or even current history and that's OK. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#31 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:34 PM

I agree with you on the importance of Buxton. However, I disagree that 1 player can take this team down. (You may not have said that exactly). 

I think the offense in general was beyond incredible for awhile and simply bound to stabilize. I think it can heat up again and cool off again but all in all... it's going to be a good year offensively with or without Buxton. 

Besides... Buxton... I fear we will have to get use to losing him from time to time based on past history... or even current history and that's OK. 

I would agree that the offense can score plenty of runs without Buxton and at this point they could probably go the rest of the season without him and still win a weak Central Division. However, if they get to the playoffs and Jake Cave is in Center field I would expect it to be a short playoff run. I think this team with Buxton can play with anyone (assuming of course that they upgrade the bullpen at the trade deadline), I think if he's out it's a different story.

Edited by james2334, 21 June 2019 - 07:36 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi, c.j. cron, kohl stewart