Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Montreal Rays?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

http://www.startribu...real/511580082/

This piece with an AP byline was posted on the Strib website today. Maybe it's not significant, but then again maybe it is. If I were an owner choosing between Montreal and Tampa/St. Pete for a location for an MLB franchise I'd choose Montreal for sure.

#2 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,688 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:57 PM

I love the logic of this. They can't get one ballpark built, so instead they're going to try to get TWO built by two different cities that have the extra enticement of GETTING to share the ball club! What a deal!  

• Danchat and Vanimal46 like this

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#3 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • LocationStuck in the middle

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:01 PM

I'm sure the Rays players would just love splitting their season between two home ballparks (in two different countries).

Edited by luckylager, 20 June 2019 - 03:03 PM.

• twinsfanstreif likes this

#4 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

I put this at a 1% chance of actually happening. More than likely they will look into the possibility and find out it's unrealistic (big surprise!) And then push to move full time to Montreal as there has been significant interest in moving the team there. In fact, a Montreal group has expressed interest in buying stake in the Rays and even found a site for the stadium. Interesting stuff happening. Realistically they Rays should've moved years ago
  • Vanimal46 and Nine of twelve like this

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,204 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:48 PM

This is so dumb. Just move out of Tampa entirely, it's been long overdue.
  • darin617, PseudoSABR, notoriousgod71 and 1 other like this

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,104 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:22 PM

I'd actually love to see it but don't know how it's possible.

I'm not a lawyer but the lease states "all home games" at Tropicana through 2027. The city of St. Petersburg would have to approve and I'm not sure what advantage could be gained by signing off on the concept. 

This whole thing reminds me of our Twins contraction news cycle from years past mixed with a dose of the owner of the Cleveland Indians in the movie "Major League" trying to blow it all up in order to move the team to Florida. 

Someone needs to point out to Rays owner Stu Sternberg that neither ploy worked... although admittedly the "Major League" ploy didn't work because of the script writers. 

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#7 nater79a

nater79a

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

So...will the team be known as the Ex-Rays? 

(I'll show myself out...)

• ashbury, USAFChief, lecroy24fan and 5 others like this

#8 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:25 PM

I'd actually love to see it but don't know how it's possible.

I'm not a lawyer but the lease states "all home games" at Tropicana through 2027. The city of St. Petersburg would have to approve and I'm not sure what advantage could be gained by signing off on the concept. 

This whole thing reminds me of our Twins contraction news cycle from years past mixed with a dose of the owner of the Cleveland Indians in the movie "Major League" trying to blow it all up in order to move the team to Florida. 

Someone needs to point out to Rays owner Stu Sternberg that neither ploy worked... although admittedly the "Major League" ploy didn't work because of the script writers. 

I'm guessing most teams don't have that verbiage then since games are played in Puerto Rico, Mexico, Omaha, Cooperstown, Japan all the time?

#9 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

Ironically isn't the Major League thing the same thing the owner of the Expos used to get out of Montreal? If I remember correctly he basically tanked the local TV deals resulting in blacked out games to squash interest in the team while at the same time trading guys for nothing and refusing to offer salary arbitration to anyone. So I guess it did work IRL!
  • Riverbrian likes this

#10 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:05 PM

Montreal would outdraw Tampa's 40 game attendance in about 7 games if not less. Just get them out of Tampa for good.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#11 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,104 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

I'm guessing most teams don't have that verbiage then since games are played in Puerto Rico, Mexico, Omaha, Cooperstown, Japan all the time?

I'm not an expert on the stadium contracts but I'd imagine that there is a form of compensation on those rare occasions. 

• notoriousgod71 and Nine of twelve like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#12 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,104 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

Ironically isn't the Major League thing the same thing the owner of the Expos used to get out of Montreal? If I remember correctly he basically tanked the local TV deals resulting in blacked out games to squash interest in the team while at the same time trading guys for nothing and refusing to offer salary arbitration to anyone. So I guess it did work IRL!

Frank Robinson is no Lou Brown apparently. 

(RIP to both)

Founded 4-23-16 

#13 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:18 PM

Montreal was much more of a baseball city than Toronto in the middle of the 20th Century. Most people are aware that the Montreal Royals were the long-time AAA franchise for the Dodgers, and that's where Jackie Robinson played his only minor league baseball. MLB mismanaged the situation with the Expos during the 1990's and early 2000's, leading to their departure. My guess is that Montreal would be a successful franchise, especially if they are in the same division as the Blue Jays. I don't know how MLB and the current ownership in Tampa could get out of the contract there but despite it being a loss for Tampa/St. Pete I think it would be a net gain for baseball in North America to get a team in Montreal.

#14 BD57

BD57

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

Tropicana is a horrible ballpark in a worse location.Being in St. Pete adds an hour-to-hour-and-a-half of driving for a lot of people to attend (I've made it a point to go to a Twins game the past few years).

They need a ballpark on the "Tampa" side of the Bay, closer to where the people are. Build something more modern and more centrally located / easier to get to & they'd draw better.

Their front office is putting decent teams on the field more often than not; they just got stuck in that dump and they've never been able to get a new park built.

OH YEAH ... TO THE POINT ...

This "split between Tampa & Montreal" business is nuts.

Edited by BD57, 22 June 2019 - 07:07 PM.

#15 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:26 AM

I don't know how MLB and the current ownership in Tampa could get out of the contract there

A mysterious fire could start......just saying
  • ashbury likes this

#16 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,467 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:11 PM

A mysterious fire could start......just saying

"That's a nice young second baseman you've got. Name of Lowe, right? Be a shame if someone was to set fire to him. Fires happen. Fings burn."

Full_frontal_nudity_1.jpg

• USAFChief likes this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.