Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Potential Twins Bullpen Target: Sam Dyson, RHP, Giants

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

It's no secret, the Twins will be seeking bullpen help as the trade deadline approaches. The current group of relievers has helped get the Twins where they are, but let's face it, there is plenty of evidence that suggests upgrades are required. Who may be available? Today we're going to look at a Sam Dyson of the Giants.Sam Dyson, RHP, 31-years-old
San Francisco Giants (31-41, fifth in NL West)
Under team control via arbitration through 2020.

2019: 2.45 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 8.2 K/9, 1.4 BB/9 in 33.0 IP
2018: 2.69 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 7.2 K/9, 2.6 BB/9 in 70.1 IP

What’s to Like?
Among the 171 relievers who’ve logged a combined 60 innings the past two seasons, Dyson ranks 26th in ERA (2.61) and 25th in WHIP (1.04). He has a five-pitch repertoire, which is unusual for a reliever. He sinker and cutter are his primary offerings, and he induces a lot of grounders. In that same sample referenced above, Dyson ranks eighth in ground ball rate (60.7%).

Another attractive thing about Dyson is that he’s on a nice roll. After an uninspiring first 10 appearances of 2019, Dyson has pitched to a 1.31 ERA and 0.77 WHIP in 21 games since. He’s issued just two walks over that stretch, limiting opponents to a measly .197/.240/.296 batting line (.536 OPS). His 3.9 BB% ranks 10th among the 250 pitchers to log at least 30 innings so far in 2019.

Dyson also has some experience in the ninth inning, boasting 58 career saves to his credit, and has been very durable. He’s averaged nearly 70 appearances over the past four seasons.

Concerns
While being a very effective pitcher, Dyson is far from overpowering. In that sample of 171 relievers who’ve thrown 60+ innings the past two years, Dyson ranks 122nd in K% (21.5) and 132nd in swinging strike rate (10.2%).

The Twins could really use another lefty in the bullpen, or at the very least a right-hander who can hold his own against opposite-side hitters. Dyson has a .264/.354/.395 line against lefties for his career (.749 OPS), though he’s been a more effective so far this season (.238/.304/.357, .661 OPS).

He’s been incredible at home this year (0.52 ERA, .417 OPS against) but suspect on the road (4.60 ERA, .724 OPS), though those splits were reversed to some degree in 2018.

See Also
Brad Hand, LHP, Indians
Oliver Perez, LHP Cleveland
Robert Stephenson, RHP, Reds
John Gant, RHP, Cardinals
Alex Colome, RHP, White Sox
Seth Lugo, RHP, Mets
Greg Holland, RHP, Diamondbacks
Sean Doolittle, LHP, Nationals
Kirby Yates, RHP, Padres
10 Relievers Minnesota Could Target

Click here to view the article

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:16 PM

I hope the 10th is a Blue Jay

#3 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,469 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:22 PM

I think his numbers are better than his skill. 

Moving back to the AL and leaving a park that is very difficult on left handed power could cause an abrupt shift in his numbers.

#4 Linus

Linus

• 2,260 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

Sounds like a nice second piece and could probably be had for jake Cave and a lower prospect. I don’t care that he doesn’t throw hard. He is getting guys out
  • Aerodeliria likes this

#5 Omardog

Omardog

Elizabethton Twins

• 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

We want to do better than this.

• Battle ur tail off likes this

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,491 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

The K rate is a bit lower than I'd like for a reliever, but he wouldn't be a bad get... especially with runners on where a grounder can induce a DP. 

#7 TwinkieTownKiller

TwinkieTownKiller

Elizabethton Twins

• 31 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:15 AM

If we sent a package that got us him and Will Smith, we would probably be good to go in terms of bullpen acquisitions.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#8 joefish

joefish

• 113 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:57 AM

Raise the bar. Go big.

#9 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

Dyson has not given up a run over his last nine innings, giving up only four hits and a walk while striking out eight batters. I talked about how I think they should make the move to bring him (or at least someone like him) in now.

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,888 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

I don't mind the more under-the-radar names, but maybe not this one in particular. I just don't like all the contact he gives up. I'd rather not rely on the Twins infield to have to make almost all of his outs for him late in games. I'm not sure I buy into his sudden strikeout increase continuing with such a heavy sinker usage.