Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: BOS 9, MIN 4: The Red Sox Bats Were Poppen Tonight

willians astudillo sean poppen kyle gibson
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 71 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:42 AM

*La Tortuga is the soul of this team. And, it was good to see Cruz greet him at the top of the steps after his HR. Arreaz continues to impress

Our soul must be iffy to terrible pitching and lack of clutch hitting if thats the case. 

#22 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 92 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

I love Astudillo and Arraez, but continue to be frustrated by Sano. I am in agreement with the post that says we need players who can small ball in compliment to those who are long ball, but I really like those who can do both. This is twice that Gibson has come up after we had a game the blew out the bullpen and both times he failed to give the innings that the team needed to rest pen. He is not a picture that I would like us to rely on and the postseason.I hope Pineda surprises or we find a third pitcher we would have faith in.

Agreed. Sano looks like the bad Sano of 2016. Pitch guessing and wrong every time lately. Last night was exhibit A of why we need a starter along with 2 high leverage BP arms to make a deep run this year. Gibson still has one of those starts too often. We don't want a start like that in the playoffs. Not sure what the Sano solution is? Arraez and Austidillo are both great contact, great energy guys - I do wish we had room for them both. In this line up - we could use another contact/energy guy at 3B if Miguel is going to K 9 out of every 11 AB's and boot grounders. I like Sano, but he is no better today than 3 years ago. Identifying pitches, plate discipline - yuck. Hard to watch. Everyone else from his "class" - Jorge, Jose, Rosy, Max, Bux, Garv - all vastly improved in the last 3 years. Sano, nope. Same. 

• denarded, birdwatcher, ChrisKnutson and 1 other like this

#23 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 642 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

Yesterday was Wednesday, June 19 and it was the 73rd game of the year.The Twins are now 45%of the way through the season.Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 27th on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 311 home runs this season.

#24 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,393 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

Well, Gibson was bad. 10 walks by pitchers in all. What happened? And 10 walks by the staff. Jeez.

I can understand letting Poppen get the licks to save the pitching staff. But don't give up. Please. Cleveland is now 9 games out.

And you decide to start WIllians at SECOND BASE? Okay, he got three hits. Would rather have seen him at third. And Arraez at shortstop. And DON'T let your two BEST BATS rest on the bench. You needed to win this game (although Gibson thought otherwise) and no reason Polanco can't be at short. And put Garver at DH and let Cruz be a bat off the bench, if need be. 

Okay, gotta see what happens in Kansas City.

Jake Cave, you are good. Shine, shine, shine. You are getting another opportunity to play everyday!

Edited by Rosterman, 20 June 2019 - 11:36 AM.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#25 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

This team will continue to hemorrhage game lunt the bullpen is addressed.

The lead is down to 9. It could get down to 5 real quick if this team keeps playing bad defense and pitching terribly out of the pen.

People are way too comfortable right now. The eye test the last handful of games has me concerned. This isn’t the same team it was a month ago by any stretch of the imagination.

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:08 PM

Agreed. Sano looks like the bad Sano of 2016. Pitch guessing and wrong every time lately. Last night was exhibit A of why we need a starter along with 2 high leverage BP arms to make a deep run this year. Gibson still has one of those starts too often. We don't want a start like that in the playoffs. Not sure what the Sano solution is? Arraez and Austidillo are both great contact, great energy guys - I do wish we had room for them both. In this line up - we could use another contact/energy guy at 3B if Miguel is going to K 9 out of every 11 AB's and boot grounders. I like Sano, but he is no better today than 3 years ago. Identifying pitches, plate discipline - yuck. Hard to watch. Everyone else from his "class" - Jorge, Jose, Rosy, Max, Bux, Garv - all vastly improved in the last 3 years. Sano, nope. Same.

And this is the point those saying Sano’s strikeouts are no big deal keep ignoring. We’ve seen discipline improvement from Kepler, Polanco, Buxton and Rosario over the last three years. Inexplicably, Sano has gotten WORSE. THAT is NOT okay IMO.
  • tarheeltwinsfan and In My La-Z-boy like this

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,209 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

And you decide to start WIllians at SECOND BASE? Okay, he got three hits. Would rather have seen him at third. And Arraez at shortstop. And DON'T let your two BEST BATS rest on the bench. You needed to win this game (although Gibson thought otherwise) and no reason Polanco can't be at short. And put Garver at DH and let Cruz be a bat off the bench, if need be. 

Even Trout takes a day off every once in awhile. Polanco has been in the lineup every day... mostly at SS with the occasional DH. After a 17 Inning game... seems like as good a time as any to give him a rest when selected who rests after a 17 inning game.

Garver... he caught all 17 innings. There should have been no question that Garver was going to take the night off. 

As for the third guy selected to take it easy last night after the 17. Somebody who played the full 17 was probably going to be the choice and Nelson Cruz as the DH for all 17 wouldn't necessarily be as taxed as someone running around in the field so Cruz should stay in. 

Schoop? No idea... maybe it was his turn... maybe he was dinged.Maybe Rocco wanted Sano to battle through his rough night. We have 12 players who can play and perform... Days off are going to be something for all of the players from time to time. Schoop was selected. I would have guessed one of the left handed outfielders against a left handed starter but it wasn't and that's OK. 

In the end... Arraez and Astudillo up the middle didn't end up being a defensive issue as far as I can remember so maybe they can play those positions a little bit. With Adrianza and Marwin out... Arraez would be by default our backup SS... I think it's OK to have a look see. 

Besides Astudillo and Arraez each drove in a run. They ended up being plus players last night. 

I continue to have no complaints with how Rocco is managing the playing time of the position players. 

• markos and tarheeltwinsfan like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#28 Dennesey55347

Dennesey55347

Elizabethton Twins

• 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:20 PM

I don’t know if I would call that an accurate assessment. The quality of pitching in the postseason makes prolonged rallies extremely rare. 3 or 4 or more hits in an inning just isn’t likely. Indeed, quick strike offenses that capitalize on a pitcher’s rare mistakes are the type of offenses that have postseason success.

The Twins of the 2000s had plenty of high average hitters. What they typically lacked was a big time power threat or at least more than one. How did those teams fare? My memory seems to tell me that the Twins got beat by the long ball in the playoffs. I actually think this team (if it can add a couple shut down relievers) is far better to succeed in the playoffs than others of this generation.

Agree on all counts. I would say that while this team has the one element you definitely want in a contender, they also rack up a lot of 1-2-3 innings when not mashing, lack a bit with pressure play (crucial game-changing hit ability, or "clutchiness") and manufacturing runs "piranha style". I admit I am nitpicking- just think in the post-season, there could be quite a few dead innings from this group. Time will tell.

#29 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,226 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:43 PM

Can Arraez play a passable third base?  

My thoughts exactly.

#30 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,226 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:51 PM

This team will continue to hemorrhage game lunt the bullpen is addressed.

The lead is down to 9. It could get down to 5 real quick if this team keeps playing bad defense and pitching terribly out of the pen.

People are way too comfortable right now. The eye test the last handful of games has me concerned. This isn’t the same team it was a month ago by any stretch of the imagination.

When did Sano take over 3B? I was the one who got jumped on by some TD contributors when I asked in a post when Sano was getting ready to return to the Twins, if anyone else was concerned about Sano's return messing up team chemistry.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: willians astudillo, sean poppen, kyle gibson