Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Taking a Deeper Dive into Miguel Sano's Plate Discipline

minnesota twins miguel sano joey gallo
  • Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:00 AM

Intriguing article in the Athletic about how they are working with Sano to manage the upper half of the strike zone. Simplistically his hands start higher.

Maybe we are seeing some of the fruits of that work. We also might have seen the cost of trying to make the change in his really poor stretch. Change often comes with a drop before growth.

#142 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,773 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:18 AM

Intriguing article in the Athletic about how they are working with Sano to manage the upper half of the strike zone. Simplistically his hands start higher.

Maybe we are seeing some of the fruits of that work. We also might have seen the cost of trying to make the change in his really poor stretch. Change often comes with a drop before growth.

Very good points, though I think the change is likely the result of the Boston series and the change had not be implemented at that point. Sano was just too vulnerable to high fastballs in that series for me to believe he was already working on fixing it.

Anyway, great to hear the team is working on it (of course they are, still good to hear it, though).

#143 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:12 AM

I think I see signs of progress. He is laying off pitches out of the zone lately and his swing looks a little more compact. Similarly even though he had an o fer I thought Buxton had a good day at the plate. He didn’t chase at all - swung at nothing but strikes

#144 Soft Tosser

Soft Tosser

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

Don't know if he'll ever be great at strike recognition, but I think he's a bit behind of the other hitters on the club because he got such a late start due to his injury rehab. Personally, I think a big reason for the success of our hitting this year is the coaching staff. Scouting of opposing pitchers has been outstanding, getting keys to what to look for and such. Strangely, maybe Wes Johnson has had just as positive effect on our hitters as he has on our pitchers.

#145 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,197 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:00 AM

• Brock Beauchamp, Carole Keller, ashbury and 1 other like this

#146 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

Let's take 1000 of those situations.

Your team strikes out 1000 times.

My team hits 1000 ground balls.

Deal?

Can I TRIPLE like this? Let's put the shoe on the other feet. The hated Sox, fill in your color, have someone on third with one, or no outs. Our beloved Dick/Bert surmise for all to hear that our esteemed hurler desperately needs a K. They don't say he needs a GB to the SS playing back. Or a fly ball. The only other option is an IF pop up. Yes a bases loaded DP is wonderful, but if the hitter struck the ball, it won't necessarily go to an IF's mitt. But a SO will go to the catchers mitt!
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#147 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

Maybe some of the Twins hitting success can be attributed to hitting your pitch when you see it. If someone is sitting behind you constantly telling you to take a few pitches, your pitch may be gone by then. Being an agressive hitte is not synonymous with being a stupid hitter. Take a walk if you get one, hit your,pitch if it shows up, no matter the count!
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#148 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:38 AM

This what I said above. I don't think it's a matter of knowing what to and not to swing at. That doesn't seem to be the issue ... which is why I suggested something so stupidly simplistic as 'maybe he needs glasses.' He's not making contact. Maybe he's closing his eyes when he swings? Yeah, more simplisticly stupid. I just don't know. However ... if what's been happening over this weekend continues, then yeah, they obviously worked on something, or something is finally clicking after missing a few months. But what Brock said above ... I want to see this over a prolonged period of time ... not just against a team like the White Sox. Let's see how he handles Giolito today.

• Vanimal46 likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#149 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

Well, so much for seeing Sano hot against Giolito. Maybe he’ll come in off the bench. Actually, I hope that isn’t necessary.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, miguel sano, joey gallo