Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Could Sano Be a Trade Chip?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 mudcat14

mudcat14

• 544 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:13 AM

Just wondering if the large strides forward made this season by guys like Polanco, Garver, Kepler & Buxton, might make Miguel Sano less of a factor in the Twins future plans.Of course the power potential is obviously still there, but I can't help but wonder if patience is starting to wear a little thin while waiting for him to put it together.I would still expect him to have quite a bit of trade value and wonder if that might not be an avenue that the Twins pursue.I'm confident Marwin, Adrianza & Arraez could fill his shoes in the short-term, and in all honesty no one knows what his role could even be in the long-term.I'm leaning towards believing is best value to this club is as trade capitol.

Thoughts?

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#2 MoyBoy74

MoyBoy74

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:16 AM

I would just hate to see him flourish with another organization, if we did trade him.

• MNT1996 likes this

#3 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,043 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

I think Jorge Soler (currently 27 years old) might be a good comparison. Cubs gave him up for Wade Davis at the deadline a couple years ago. I think Soler might have more upside right now.

I'd like to think the same...but honestly if you're a GM on the other side, do you want Sano? I think his stock has dropped dramatically and the Twins would have a hard time trading him at his lowest value.

I do think the team is better without him, but he still does have value in MN and it might be hard to trade away a guy who is just 2 years removed from an All-Star berth at a young age for a rental middle reliever.

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

#4 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,537 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

I agree that the Twins appear to be showing signs that they can be a good offensive team in the future without Sano or without Sano being a star. Having said that, I think you'd want a better long-term answer/option at 3rd before you'd trade Sano...and I don't think that's Gonzalez, or Adrianza, or Arraez. Sano can do a whole lot of striking out and still be more valuable offensively that Arraez...and it's not like Arraez is a threat on the bases. Of course, they could trade Sano in the off-season for a 3rd-base prospect. I suppose that's possible. In any regard, a big bat at 3rd base still seems to be a weakness in the system. (And fwiw, they continue to play Blankenhorn very little at 3rd.)

#5 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:34 AM

Sure as the blessing of Big Papi cured the curse of the Bambino, Boston would gladly take Sano off our hands.Come hither, you big, handsome man, they'll say. We will never tell you to stop eating burritos, we will never make you run sprints. Just hit a mere forty baseballs per year over that green wall, and all of Boston will love you. And Sano will jump for joy, hit their homers easily, and by 2021 he will weigh 350 pounds. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#6 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

Sure - but the price has to be right. Twins cannot just give Sano away.

• SQUIRREL, Jerr, ChrisKnutson and 3 others like this

#7 scottz

scottz

• 700 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

No. He's valuable, and I believe he'll be an All-Star once again. He's not a free agent until 2022. Strikeouts aside, he's a fearsome bat.

• DiscGolfer, Dozier's Glorious Hair and bighat like this

#8 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,494 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

The AL home run leader had little value and the Mariners picked up a significant part of the contract.

He won’t appeal to rebuilding teams because he will be in arbitration. He might appeal to a team like the Rays but my guess is the return will be a flyer on an A ball player.

He has more value to this 2019 team.
  • DiscGolfer, spycake, Sconnie and 3 others like this

#9 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

The guy has 1 terrible night and fans already clamoring to trade him. All you have to do is look at Sano's 2017 season to see his potential. Last year was a bad year for him yes and this year has been up and down after getting off the IR, but cmon we know the guy has serious potential and many times it doesn't come to fruition until a player has 6, 7 or more years of experience under their belt. Good example: David Ortiz. Took him a good 7 season to finally achieve his true potential and he just got better from there. 

• SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel, DiscGolfer and 2 others like this

#10 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• 1,182 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

If Sano is the last chip needed to make a big trade happen then pull the trigger but the deal has to be right.I think you have to see what he can do for the rest of the year then trade him in the off season if need be.Some people already wanted to cut loose players like Castro, Gonzalez, Adrianza and others when they were slumping just a bit.Give him time to see what you actually have in him.Yes he does strike out a lot but it's not like his OPS is sitting at .500

• SQUIRREL, DocBauer and bighat like this

#11 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

If Sano is the last chip needed to make a big trade happen then pull the trigger but the deal has to be right.I think you have to see what he can do for the rest of the year then trade him in the off season if need be.Some people already wanted to cut loose players like Castro, Gonzalez, Adrianza and others when they were slumping just a bit.Give him time to see what you actually have in him.Yes he does strike out a lot but it's not like his OPS is sitting at .500

Trade a 26 year old with tremendous potential for what? A couple rental pitchers? I just don't get the thought process behind trading Sano. Sano is a threat you have in the lineup for many games over the course of a season. 

• SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel, Cap'n Piranha and 1 other like this

#12 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,494 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

He had a game saving play at 3B in the top of the 10th last night. With that play the night was far from terrible.
  • SQUIRREL, DiscGolfer, Don Walcott and 1 other like this

#13 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• 1,182 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

Trade a 26 year old with tremendous potential for what? A couple rental pitchers? I just don't get the thought process behind trading Sano. Sano is a threat you have in the lineup for many games over the course of a season. 

No, definitely not for rentals.I don't think he should be traded but if he is the last piece that a team wants for a blockbuster type deal then it should be considered.

• PDX Twin and jz7233 like this

#14 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,476 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

I'd say yes if there was any sort of viable short-term or long-term plan to replace him.

I have zero interest in watching a rotation of Marwin, Adrianza, Arraez, and the La Tortuga man the position on a daily basis. Are we ready to hand the reigns to Drew Maggi? Bechtold? Move Javier over? Move Blankenhorn back?

If they traded Sano for a valuable arm, they'd end up having to trade a valuable arm for another third baseman either this season or in the off-season.

It seems counterproductive. 

• SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel, Tomj14 and 1 other like this

#15 mudcat14

mudcat14

• 544 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:10 PM

The Twins have been looking for an everyday third baseman since Corey Koskie left.Trevor Plouffe was as close as they've come and he is out of the game at age 32.Gonzales will be as good or better than we've had, similar to what we refused to commit to in Eduardo Escobar.  

Pittsburghwas at one time enthralled enough with Sano to try and lie and cheat to get him to sign.If he could be used to entice the Pirates into a Felipe Vasquez deal, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#16 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,307 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

While we're at it, let's trade Rosario too--he has a lower OBP and SLG, as well a grading out worse on defense and barely better on the basepaths.In fact, Eddie only has .5 more WAR than Sano, despite nearly 3 times as many PA's.

The only 3B that's realistically available that I would exchange Sano for is Rendon.If the Nats don't think they can/will sign him in the offseason, and Falvine is willing to put up the approximately 7 years and $140-$160M it will take to keep him here, then sure, pull the trigger.Otherwise, let Sano hit 35 homers a year.

• Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan and Don Walcott like this

#17 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 466 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:42 PM

I have zero interest in watching a rotation of Marwin, Adrianza, Arraez, and the La Tortuga man the position on a daily basis. Are we ready to hand the reigns to Drew Maggi? Bechtold? Move Javier over? Move Blankenhorn back?

If they traded Sano for a valuable arm, they'd end up having to trade a valuable arm for another third baseman either this season or in the off-season.

It seems counterproductive. 

I thought Marwin was really good at 3B.  

#18 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• 264 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:45 PM

The guy has 1 terrible night and fans already clamoring to trade him. All you have to do is look at Sano's 2017 season to see his potential. Last year was a bad year for him yes and this year has been up and down after getting off the IR, but cmon we know the guy has serious potential and many times it doesn't come to fruition until a player has 6, 7 or more years of experience under their belt. Good example: David Ortiz. Took him a good 7 season to finally achieve his true potential and he just got better from there. 

I'm not really for trading him since his value is about as low as it can be right now but it's a lot more than 1 terrible night that have people wanting to move on.

#19 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:56 PM

I'm not really for trading him since his value is about as low as it can be right now but it's a lot more than 1 terrible night that have people wanting to move on.

What is making people want to move on then? And move on to who? Who that the Twins have at 3rd base is more major league ready and as much of a power threat than Sano? I think Twins fans focus way to much on Sano's 2018 year. Most players in MLB history have had years that they want to forget and that they underachieved in. Just watch. If Sano has a couple good weeks you won't hear a peep of the people that wanted to trade him. It's fairweather fans at their finest. 

• Mike Sixel, DocBauer and In My La-Z-boy like this

#20 MNSouthDak

MNSouthDak

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:36 PM

Great idea.  With the proviso that major league pitching is better than AAA pitching, and its a small sample size, but let's look at Sano's batting performance vs Astudillo's recent batting performance.  

Astudillo has had 38 at bats since he was sent down to Rochester.  Here are some stats for Astudillo's and Sano's last 38 at bats.  Sano's best days are behind him, and he is error prone.  If the Twins can get a good reliever, we should trade.  

Batting Average

Astudillo:  .525

Sano: .225

OPS:  

Astudillo:  1.288

Sano:  .560

RBI:

Astudillo:  18

Sano:  2

Strike Outs:

Astudillo:  1

Sano: 18