Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Zack Littell Changes Role, Changes Mindset

zack littell wes johnson rocco baldelli
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,172 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

I really liked what I saw out of Littell last night. He had trouble, not totally of his own making, in both innings and worked around it.The velocity and breaking pitch were both noteworthy and he showed good command. Finally, he didn't "pitch scared", which is what I've seen out of the pitchers who haven't succeeded for the Twins this year. 

• USAFChief, Dman and Original Whizzinator like this

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,749 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

Well, you make it to the majors as a starter or a bullpen arm. We forget names like Eddie Guardado, LaTroy Hawkins, Glen Perkins amongst others were initially rotation guys. 

And if your stuff shines, you can be a closer candidate.

Littell is still so young (there are guys close to age starting their careers at Eliz right now). 

Now, fix Romero!

Not just the Twins. I love starters turned relievers, the Twins should be targeting these guys from other clubs.

Some were only perceived to only have iffy stuff or control at best, some were busted prospects, some were forced into the role, but just some of the guys who came up as starters or were starters in the minors just prior to their call up: Josh Hader, Brad Hand, Will Smith, Raisel Iglesias, Edwin Diaz, Zach Britton, Blake Treinen, Hansel Robles, Felipe Vazquez, Roberto Osuna, Andrew Miller, Delin Betances, Wade Davis, Ian Kennedy, John Gant, Trevor Rosenthal, Jake MaGee, Jeurys Familia, Alex Colome.

The Twins should never be letting a guy like Liam Hendricks out of the building before seeing what he has out of the pen first. The list of top bullpen arms is a who's-who of former starters.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#23 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,325 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:31 AM

I haven't been disappointed in his performance, Tom.Yes, he had that ugly inning or two when he sucked it up and gave the Twins many innings in that one ugly loss.  

But I remember what I think was his first appearance.Saw him pitching in the mid 90's and even touching 96...if memory serves.Watched him and thought could this kid develop into something like Joe Nathan was?Still don't know what his future holds, but I am hopeful.Will he be an answer this year, maybe part of the answer.

Aw, shucks. I thought I was going to be the first to come up with a Joe Nathan comparison, but you beat me. 

Crucial question -- does Littell do that bpbpbpbpb thing with his mouth when he exhales while he's getting the sign like Nathan did? Because if he does, I am completely on board.

• ScooterDance and MN_ExPat like this

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,427 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

Aw, shucks. I thought I was going to be the first to come up with a Joe Nathan comparison, but you beat me. 

Crucial question -- does Littell do that bpbpbpbpb thing with his mouth when he exhales while he's getting the sign like Nathan did? Because if he does, I am completely on board.

If you can go back and find my comment, I actually used that comparison after his first outing whenever that was.Something about the way he acted on the mound, getting his fastball into the upper 90's and being a former starter hit a note that said Nathan to me.Probably also some wishful thinking, but what the heck.

• IndianaTwin and MN_ExPat like this

#25 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,052 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:59 AM

Not just the Twins. I love starters turned relievers, the Twins should be targeting these guys from other clubs.

Some were only perceived to only have iffy stuff or control at best, some were busted prospects, some were forced into the role, but just some of the guys who came up as starters or were starters in the minors just prior to their call up: Josh Hader, Brad Hand, Will Smith, Raisel Iglesias, Edwin Diaz, Zach Britton, Blake Treinen, Hansel Robles, Felipe Vazquez, Roberto Osuna, Andrew Miller, Delin Betances, Wade Davis, Ian Kennedy, John Gant, Trevor Rosenthal, Jake MaGee, Jeurys Familia, Alex Colome.

The Twins should never be letting a guy like Liam Hendricks out of the building before seeing what he has out of the pen first. The list of top bullpen arms is a who's-who of former starters.

All clubs are aware of this - most MLB pitchers by definition were good enough to start at lower levels of play. Pitchers throw short bullpen sessions as part of their routine, so management knows if someone looks sharp in short stints. Sometimes a guy like Hendriks just improves after he moves on to another organization. 

The actual exception is when a minor league reliever pans out - they are generally seen as dubious prospects.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#26 joefish

joefish

• 107 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

Atta Littell.
I hope he continues to deserve to be here.

#27 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,320 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:59 AM

Pretty broad use of "from within". The Twins traded for both Nathan and Aguilera and to my knowledge, they were always used out of the bullpen for the Twins. I know Aguilera left Minny as a free agent and was used as a starter after he had done well here. 

Broad, I suppose.

With Nathan the Twins were getting a 29 year old that SF had converted to the pen just the year before and was serving as the 7th inning guy in a stacked bullpen. He notched 1 lone save as a Giant, his rookie season, then boom, 44 his first year with the Twins. Aguilera was used only as a starter his first season with the Twins before moving to the pen season 2, although the Mets may have started that transition when the Twins acquired him.

"From within" meaning they were here, acquired with multiple other pieces in big trades in which they weren't the principal piece, and they had very little to no history of being a big time closer. 

Edited by Monkeypaws, 19 June 2019 - 11:00 AM.

#28 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:17 AM

"... honestly, whatever keeps me here and helps these guys win. Nobody doesn’t want to be a part of this."

Double-negative aside, something about that quote just struck me and made me smile. I imagine that sentiment is so accurate. There's a team full of guys in Rochester (and probably quite a few in Pensacola) who are just dying to be a part of what the Twins have going this year.

Sure, they ALL want to get to the Show, anyway. But this year, in particular, they all know (and several have seen first hand) that something special is going on at Target Field and they all want to be part of it. 

• SQUIRREL, Sconnie, KidBro and 3 others like this
Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,738 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

"... honestly, whatever keeps me here and helps these guys win. Nobody doesn’t want to be a part of this."

Double-negative aside, something about that quote just struck me and made me smile. I imagine that sentiment is so accurate. There's a team full of guys in Rochester (and probably quite a few in Pensacola) who are just dying to be a part of what the Twins have going this year.

Sure, they ALL want to get to the Show, anyway. But this year, in particular, they all know (and several have seen first hand) that something special is going on at Target Field and they all want to be part of it.

Hey, it worked for Sara Lee.
  • SQUIRREL, ashbury, SD Buhr and 1 other like this

#30 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,292 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:55 PM

Hey, it worked for Sara Lee.

I didn't want to be caught not clicking Like on this one.

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: zack littell, wes johnson, rocco baldelli