Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 4, BOS 3: Twins Win in 17th Inning, Get First Walk-Off

max kepler michael pineda tyler duffey eddie rosario matt magill
  • Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,356 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:41 AM

Do the Twins get more arms for tomorrow? If so, who do they send down and who do they call up? Candidates to be sent down would be Littell and Duffey (both have had their option used this year and both pitched two innings in Tuesday's game). Who would be called up? Well, not Eades or Romero, since both were optioned less than 10 days ago.

My assumption was that they would need to call up someone, but as I look at it, I’m not sure they need to. Everyone pitched, but no one more than 30 innings. Parker is the only guy who pitched on the last two days, and that was only a total of 34 pitches. There’s really not anyone who isn’t available for at least a couple batters.

Now if several guys get used for a good number of pitches tonight...

#42 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 372 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

Twins used 9 pitchers and 11 position players in this game. How does Buxton not get into a 17 inning game? (Maybe an obvious answer that I missed.) Catch by Bradley in center was a blind squirrel/acorn example. He had his head completely off the ball facing the wall and the ball found his glove. Amazing play.) OK..win the series today. Gibson needs to go at least 7 and hopefully complete game. Agree Sano needs to sit and verdict on him is still out. Don't want him in a key defensive situation or a clutch hitting situation. Random numbers do not equal winning baseball.

#43 Eephus

Eephus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 111 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:56 AM

Said elsewhere I'm sure, but today the Twins brass look like geniuses for signing Polanco and Kepler to long term deals. In anyone's wildest dreams these two were not 3rd and 5th in AL OPS on the short sample size of June 19. 

• scottz and Monkeypaws like this

#44 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:58 AM

Twins used 9 pitchers and 11 position players in this game. How does Buxton not get into a 17 inning game?

He was moved to the IL a day or two ago.

#45 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,635 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

Kepler was amazing and also demonstrated that sometimes is just not a night for hitters. The fact that he was the only hitter to really be on last night makes him a hero and he deserves great credit. Sometimes hitters convince one another that it's a bad night I may be at help the Kepler came off the bench and hadn't been parked of the price innings. On the other hand watching Sano was really painful. It was just obvious he was going to strike out in those key at bats. Kepler showed the value of contact with his single to tie the game.

#46 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,551 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

syrio

• USAFChief, Han Joelo, Blake and 7 others like this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#47 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,653 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

Apparently Eddie didn't actually break any rules on that bunt. Cora says he's sorry for whining

https://www.nbcsport...-it-wrong-after

I was going to point out that Cora didn't complain when Schoop was called out on a pitch several inches outside on a key at bat but then I saw your link and I just say "Respect"

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#48 Alex Schieferdecker

Alex Schieferdecker

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:15 AM

Twenty four hour moratorium on making fun of the bullpen.

Reliever trust ranking:

Trust

Rogers

Basically Trust

Harper

Somewhat Trust

Duffey, May

Don’t Trust, Has Been Good So Far

Morin

Don’t Trust, Has Been Iffy

Parker

Don’t Trust, Has Been Bad

Hildenberger, Magill, Mejia

Want To Trust, But Too New

Littell, Eades

Never Want To See Pitch Ever Again

De Jong, Vasquez

• MN_ExPat and bunt_vs_the_shift like this

#49 Highabove

Highabove

• 660 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

Sano with five strikeouts last night. One off the Major League record.

• PDX Twin likes this

#50 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,226 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:23 AM

Do the Twins get more arms for tomorrow? If so, who do they send down and who do they call up? Candidates to be sent down would be Littell and Duffey (both have had their option used this year and both pitched two innings in Tuesday's game). Who would be called up? Well, not Eades or Romero, since both were optioned less than 10 days ago.

Jake Reed

• VATwinsFan likes this

#51 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,351 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:24 AM

He'll get it one of these days. Just needed a couple more innings.

• USAFChief likes this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#52 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

Jake Reed

not on the 40 man, is he?

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#53 mendozaline

mendozaline

Elizabethton Twins

• 31 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:26 AM

Stayed up for the whole thing, thankfully I'm in central time. Littell might be an intriguing piece, came in throwing 97. I did not know he was capable of that even out of the pen. 

• pbrezeasap likes this

#54 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,010 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:27 AM

Tied with JD "How Do I Have More AS Votes Than Cruz" Martinez

• pbrezeasap and Cap'n Piranha like this

#55 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:28 AM

The STrib recap says Kepler pinch hit for a "banged up" Gonzalez. I was wondering last night why he pinch hit.

Hopefully nothing serious.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#56 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:29 AM

The STrib recap says Kepler pinch hit for a "banged up" Gonzalez. I was wondering last night why he pinch hit.

Hopefully nothing serious.

Yikes. Even given the team's depth, they kinda need Gonzalez right now with Adrianza out and Sano windmilling at the plate like a drunken ballerina.

• pbrezeasap and MVP Nick Punto like this

#57 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,469 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:30 AM

It obviously worked out, but why have Kepler hit for Gonzales when he could have subbed in for Sano?
Then on the center fielder's "catch", why did "Richard" keep saying he made such a great catch when it was obvious he bobbled it off the wall?It wasn't a catch at all!

There were two outs and a runner in scoring position when Kepler pinch hit for Gonzalez. Maybe if Garver doesn’t get picked earlier and there is one out with Gonzalez up he pinch hits for Sano.

#58 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

WPA of -0.1: Sano -.433

By the way, it should be noted that this is really hard to do as a position player. That's starting pitcher disaster start kind of WPA.

• pbrezeasap, snepp, Danchat and 3 others like this

#59 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,351 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

"WPA of +0.1: Kepler .847, Littell .288, Magill .288, Duffey .288, Rosario .263, Pineda .235, Rogers .144, Parker .144

"WPA of -0.1: Harper -.129, Schoop -.161, Cave -.165, Cron -.228, Garver -.240, Morin -.289, Polanco -.294, Sano -.433"

Wow! Kepler (et al.) giveth and Sano (et al.) taketh away!

Here's a question for someone with more energy than I: The WPA for the whole team (in a win) adds up to 0.5, increasing from an initial 0.5 to 1.0.

Adding up the absolute values of just these players yields 4.142! Adding in the other players not shown here gives 4.349. This must be close to a record, but does anyone know what the record is?

• pbrezeasap likes this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#60 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,393 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:33 AM

I am sad to say I gave up at the top of the 13th and told my wife "The Twins lost." and went to bed. Little did I know they would get their ffirst walkoff win, probably an hour later!

Kudos to Garver behind-the-plate. Yes, getting picked off third was a rookie mistake (or can a coach also get some blame). Nevertheless, a wonderful game.

Two things, though:

Miguel Sano. All the talent in the world, but he just swings, and pitchers know where to throw the ball to get him to swing. What would happen if management forced him to NOT swing at the first two pitches...no matter what? Well, he would, at worst, be in the same hole he seems to put himself in, or he may be staring at a two ball count forcing the opposing starter to throw a real strike.

Blake Parker. Not sure how much more I can stand watching him twitch and pump. He escaped last night. But from a wonderkind, to making me wish for the return fast of Hildenberger. The Twins have a bunch of glasses waiting to break: Morin is pure situational matchup. Duffey is still a scare. Magill is not who I stand-up-and-cheer when he enters a game.

Kudos to Littell. Now who takes the shuttle back to Rochester, or are the Twins hoping for a GREAT start from Gibson and could use May and Harper and possibly Rogers tonight.

A real battle of a game. Glad the Twins won this one and the Indians are still 10 games back. I start to shake when I think of it being a 9 game lead, or 8, or 7, or 6.

Hey, we got a home run! Streak starts over!

Bench for Thursday: Garver, Schoop, Sano (or maybe one of those three switches out with Cruz).

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max kepler, michael pineda, tyler duffey, eddie rosario, matt magill