Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 4, BOS 3: Twins Win in 17th Inning, Get First Walk-Off

max kepler michael pineda tyler duffey eddie rosario matt magill
  • Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 959 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:47 AM

Lots of twists and turns.

One thing no one mentions: Mookie Betts saved the game for Boston in the 8th on Kepler's line drive down the RF line.

Watch that play.If he doesn't cut that ball off, and he made a great late snatch to get it in his glove, the ball goes to the wall and the Twins send that runner around third.

How a play like that never even gets mentioned by the announcers, I can't understand. Betts=MVP, does it with his glove, only had one hit, but it was big.

• scottz, Dantes929, Nine of twelve and 1 other like this

#22 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:49 AM

Do the Twins get more arms for tomorrow? If so, who do they send down and who do they call up? Candidates to be sent down would be Littell and Duffey (both have had their option used this year and both pitched two innings in Tuesday's game). Who would be called up? Well, not Eades or Romero, since both were optioned less than 10 days ago.

I would guess they call up Smeltzer. They need someone who can give them innings if Gibby has a short start.

What I love about Kepler is he seems to have his biggest games when everyone else is struggling. He's not one of those guys who compiles hits and home runs in 12-2 wins and then goes ofer in the one run nailbiters.

• scottz, brvama, bluechipper and 6 others like this

#23 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:49 AM

"Both bullpens surrendered a run in the 13th inning which kept the game going. Both runs came from a lead off home run. For the Sox it was Mookie Betts, and for the Twins, it was Kepler. This was also the first lead for the Twins all game, and capped off a three hit, three RBI night for Kepler." Twins did not take the lead there or it would have been over.  Don't you love it when guys nitpick after you've taken the time to post a game recap at 2 am?

Fidexed-zzzzzzzzzzz

• USAFChief, Blake, Dantes929 and 3 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:10 AM

“WPA of +0.1: Kepler .847”

HOLY MOSES
  • ashbury, Steve Lein, Jerr and 4 others like this

#25 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 868 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:12 AM

Great Game, congrats to the Twins bullpen. Sano was an embarrassment at the plate last night.

• Dman likes this

#26 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,044 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:27 AM

I think it's safe to say Max has turned a corner. He's has some cold steaks but has turned it around quickly.

#27 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,617 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:40 AM

These two games against the BoSox ... playoff baseball ... that's what that was.

I didn't notice the Red Sox broadcasters taking quite that POV. We're still the upstarts and are excited by being in contention.

My decision to go to bed after the eighth inning proved wise for my health and sanity. The east coast time zone has definite disadvantages. I figured, once Kepler entered the game, the outcome was no longer in doubt anyway.

• diehardtwinsfan, Monkeypaws, Dman and 3 others like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#28 sloopjont

sloopjont

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 60 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:44 AM

It obviously worked out, but why have Kepler hit for Gonzales when he could have subbed in for Sano?

Then on the center fielder's "catch", why did "Richard" keep saying he made such a great catch when it was obvious he bobbled it off the wall?It wasn't a catch at all!

• jokin likes this

#29 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• 698 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:45 AM

Any video on Cora's "out-of-character" tirade after the game?

#30 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:05 AM

It obviously worked out, but why have Kepler hit for Gonzales when he could have subbed in for Sano?
Then on the center fielder's "catch", why did "Richard" keep saying he made such a great catch when it was obvious he bobbled it off the wall? It wasn't a catch at all!

I think his glove was always between the ball and the wall. Great catch.
  • ashbury, Steve Lein, Blake and 5 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#31 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 163 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:05 AM

Now that was a baseball game. 487 pitches worth, whew. I'll be a zombie today (east coast time) but it was worth it.

• ashbury likes this

#32 snotboogie

snotboogie

Ft Myers Miracle

• 402 posts
  • Location3 miles from Twins World Domination Headquarters

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

My decision to go to bed after the eighth inning proved wise for my health and sanity. The east coast time zone has definite disadvantages. I figured, once Kepler entered the game, the outcome was no longer in doubt anyway.

I was at the game with my lovely bride, but we left after the 11th. She had to get up earlier than usual for work, and we had biked to the game. Got home and checked the score and Boston was up by one in the 13th.  Why tune in? Our clutch hitting has been pretty bad lately and I didn't need the disappointment.  What nice surprise this morning when I picked up the paper to read the re-cap.

• ashbury likes this

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

#33 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• 139 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

Great Game, congrats to the Twins bullpen. Sano was an embarrassment at the plate last night.

Sano appears to have totally recaptured his tendencies at the plate from previous years. HE IS BECOMING A RALLY KILLER ONCE AGAIN.

• PDX Twin likes this

#34 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• 139 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:09 AM

Sano appears to have totally recaptured his tendencies at the plate from previous years. HE IS BECOMING A RALLY KILLER ONCE AGAIN.

I didn't realize I hit the caps lock button. Error on me.

• ashbury and MN_ExPat like this

#35 TheRealCupOfJoe

TheRealCupOfJoe

Elizabethton Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:16 AM

According to the Boston Globe, David Price was removed from the game after 5 stellar innings and only 73 pitches, for "non-injury-related reasons". WTF? Does anyone have a clue why they would have pulled him? I was glad they did, but wow.

#36 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,943 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:24 AM

So I turn off the game when the Sox have runners on first and third with one out in the 10th thinking that not only will the hometown 9 lose, but that this will be the start of a rather dismal run of games that let's Cleveland climb back to within 5.

I guess I don't win anything, do I?

Der Schlagmeister is der Best!!!

• ashbury and MN_ExPat like this

#37 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,024 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:27 AM

BTW, I finally got a chance to see some highlights. After Kepler's walk-off, the Boston manager and coaches were furious. They ran after the umpires and were yelling. Does anyone know why? Did they think Kepler's ball was foul or was it a balls and strikes thing?

Just sour grapes. The Sox lost the game by not capitalizing on opportunities (they had a lead in the 13th and also had a man on 3rd with no outs at some point in extras, I believe). For them to whine about Eddie's left foot touching the chalk on a bunt attempt is PATHETIC. That said, you can't blame 'em for being just super deflated losing that game.

Sano. We all saw it, it was talked about extensively in the game thread. Yeah it's bad and I'm guessing management is starting to worry about whether or not this guy is a liability. I wish so bad he'd just get it together.

Garver. As a poster earlier said, that just can't happen. The good news is that he's not broken and he'll be fine. He just made one mistake (a costly one) but that won't follow him to the plate the next time he plays.

Nice job by the 'pen - but they did give up 12 hits in 10 innings of work. Out of 8 relievers, only Rogers didn't give up a hit. They were tightroping it - Red Sox are a great hitting team though. Glad they got it done!

• Dman likes this

#38 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,680 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:31 AM

Like many, I went to bed with the outcome in doubt.  Last year, I would have had little doubt that staying up would not be worth it.  This year, I felt there was an excellent chance I'd wake up to a recap of an exciting win.

The "no three-game" losing streaks is kind of a thing.  Man, if it ever finally happens, that might be bad for mojo.  If it doesn't, that would seem to bode well for a playoff series.

#39 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 615 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:33 AM

Apparently Eddie didn't actually break any rules on that bunt. Cora says he's sorry for whining

https://www.nbcsport...-it-wrong-after

• scottz, pbrezeasap, 70charger and 4 others like this

#40 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:40 AM

According to the Boston Globe, David Price was removed from the game after 5 stellar innings and only 73 pitches, for "non-injury-related reasons". WTF? Does anyone have a clue why they would have pulled him? I was glad they did, but wow.

According to the Boston papers, they had decided beforehand to limit his innings and pitches. A "mutual decision." They're trying to maintain his health over the long season. He has a lot of innings and pitches on that arm over his career.
  • TheRealCupOfJoe, bighat and MN_ExPat like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max kepler, michael pineda, tyler duffey, eddie rosario, matt magill